Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Company Car - Charger at home/other queries

• 19-04-2021 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭

Partner has been given option of an Electric Car at work, subject to an agreed budget - (definitely under 45k)yet to be decided, was looking to see if someone has knowledge of the following queries, as it would be first time an employee has a company car, and they are unsure of how it all works:

Home Car Charger - is this supplied and paid for by the employer, or is this a cost to ourselves, i assume no €600 grant as the car won’t be registered to us.
    (There is no possibility of charging at workplace)

Vehicle Expenses - are all associated costs paid for by the employer- insurance, maintenance, motor tax, tyres, and what about public charging costs for business/ private car usage. Is there a distinction between private & business mileage.

Budget may mean, they may have to look at both new & used models, is there any impact if its a used model.

I read there are likely to be BEV BIK implications from 2023, but even allowing for this, its still a great deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

fafy wrote: »
    Partner has been given option of an Electric Car at work, subject to an agreed budget - (definitely under 45k)yet to be decided, was looking to see if someone has knowledge of the following queries, as it would be first time an employee has a company car, and they are unsure of how it all works:

Home Car Charger - is this supplied and paid for by the employer, or is this a cost to ourselves, i assume no €600 grant as the car won’t be registered to us.
    (There is no possibility of charging at workplace)

Vehicle Expenses - are all associated costs paid for by the employer- insurance, maintenance, motor tax, tyres, and what about public charging costs for business/ private car usage. Is there a distinction between private & business mileage.

Budget may mean, they may have to look at both new & used models, is there any impact if its a used model.

I read there are likely to be BEV BIK implications from 2023, but even allowing for this, its still a great deal.

You'd have to ask the employer all those questions. I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules about what their obligations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭innrain

If the home charger is supplied is considered BIK. I guess there are ways around it. The best option is to charge at work. I know that you said is out of discussion but is it really? The charging point installed at workplace may qualify for ACCA and the electricity used is not viewed as BIK.
    In theory there is no home charger grant for business use of private vehicles.
    Normally, once the company owns the car it pays for running costs. The employer has to have a policy already if they provided employees with cars before.
    So far due to BIK exemptions there is no need to log business miles, however, from 2023 things will change. There are few threads about that in this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

You won't get the home charger grant for work car. You need to allow 1,000 euro for that. You really need a home charger if no workplace charging. Your employer may or may not pay for home charger and home electricity.

Are you single car household? What is typical daily commute round trip? What us common weekend trip round trip in km? Public charging is main downside of EV ownership so you want to get a car with a range from home for 99% of trips. Often public chargers are busy, blocked or broken. You need to public charge when you GI beyond round trip range of car , and many public chargers take multiple hours, some 20 to 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭fafy

Thanks for the info and tips.
    I'l also be moving to an EV in a few years, so a home charger is essential. Daily roundtrip commute is low, about 30 kms, and under 200 on weekend trips.

Have seen multiple home chargers on many walks !, most don't look great and untidy, bar a small few, where people have thought about location and placement.
    The Andersen A2 is the only one I've seen, that ticks all the boxes so far, it is quite expensive though, could be 2k installed, as no grant in this case, but an investment, particularly if two EV's on the horizon. Have asked for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Buz087

There is no obligation on the company to pay for the home charger however I have heard of some companies making a contribution as home owners with an EV company car are not eligible for the SEAI grant.

As for the running costs of the vehicle, generally that sits with the vehicle owner unless there is prior agreement with the driver. If the driver accept some element of the running costs, this can be offset against the chargeable BIK. In the case of an EV, I don’t know how this will work with the BIK exemption. This current exemption will end on 31/12/22 when a new BIK regime will be introduced.

The company will pay for business use for the charging of the car and every company have different arrangements for private use so the employer will clarify this. It would be wise to calculate the BIK using the new regime as it will come as a shock to pay BIK when you have paid no BIK during the exemption.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement