Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Service on Leaf 2016 €200?

Options
  • 18-04-2021 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,
    I had my first sevice done on my Leaf. I brought it from a dealer over 2 years ago 2nd hand. It was due a service last march but due to Covid I left it.
    I am working remotely all year and car only did a few local trips.
    I asked how much service would cost and dealer said €100. I collected it and paid €100.
    Got a call when I arrived home to say I owe another €100 as they forgot to charge me for replacement wipers and pollen filter. Wipers cost 52 for front and 26 back. Seems v expensive. Anyway I told them I would drop money in next week.
    I looked online and see I can get cheaper wipers from micks garage. Any thoughts?
    I am looking for a bike rack also. Would anyone know where to get one for 2016 Leaf.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did you need new wipers?

Are wipers listed in the owners manual as a service item ?

If not they then ask them to stick back on the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Of course they are cheaper on a website, likely not the same make and the website price doesn't include fitting.
    If you go to a main dealer and need things like wipers, you can't really complain when they fit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daisy55

Hi again, yes fair point, but they never mentioned anything on phone when I booked it in about extras. I would have assumed they would have checked with me first? Wipers were changed 2 years ago but car wasn't active in a year.
    I will know for next time.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I pay €77-€79 for a full main dealer Leaf service, I replace likes of pollen filters and wipers myself so always tell them to ignore those items.
    A dealer should make it clear they are replacing items.
    I happened to have replaced my rear wiper with a Bosch H250 (so not a cheap brand) last week, just checking my Amazon account, cost £4.33 delivered.
    €78 for full set is extortionate pricing, labour is nothing as it would take no more than a minute to replace all three.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Snotty wrote: »
    Of course they are cheaper on a website, likely not the same make and the website price doesn't include fitting.
    If you go to a main dealer and need things like wipers, you can't really complain when they fit them.

Dealers have always phoned me during a service if things like that need to be replaced and ask if I want it done. Seems a bit off to just do it when it's not a standard thing replaced in the service price.

• Advertisement

Oh thanks for that update. Yes it seems a bit on the high side ok. Plus they had no itemised bill so not exactly sure what €200 was for. I noticed another thread mentioned wipers from Micks garage but I haven’t brought anything from them in past. Maybe Amazon might be better. I was looking to see what kind of wipers suit but it’s a wee bit confusing.
    I will order them online in future ok.
    I might add the queries on bike rack to a new thread.
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Main dealer 'service' on a Leaf here in Cork was €100 until last year, now €120. Includes pollen filter change.

Watch out re the wipers - they likely are not trying to pull a fast one. I went through it very recently - certainly with the newer model Leaf, only Nissan wipers will fit correctly, and I was quoted €95 for a set. I got a set of Bosch for the front myself - small one fitted, big one is correct length but doesn't curve correctly. Went into motor factors, they were back and forth on phone before eventually telling me to go to Nissan! Could be different for old model.

Ok thanks for that. I am fine about paying but I got no itemised bill or even an invoice. I would have thought they would have a breakdown of what was checked.
    I was leaving leaf in for a recall of a battery issue. Something about battery could cause electric shock.I received a letter from Nissan recently on this issue. I said I would get a service done at the same time.
    I noticed they didn’t fill in the service history warranty book either?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Anything above and beyond the agreed service should be discussed and approved by you first.

You could say thanks but on this occasion please put my wipers back on and you will plan for a change later in the year when funds allow.

Either way I would point out the error made. What if it needed another 400eu of work? It's not on and needs your approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

Daisy55 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that. I am fine about paying but I got no itemised bill or even an invoice. I would have thought they would have a breakdown of what was checked.
    I was leaving leaf in for a recall of a battery issue. Something about battery could cause electric shock.I received a letter from Nissan recently on this issue. I said I would get a service done at the same time.
    I noticed they didn’t fill in the service history warranty book either?

This sounds really unprofessional. I left a Leaf into a Nissan dealer and they called me to clear it before they did any additional work. I had a fully itemised bill at the end. I wouldn't have always used a Nissan dealer but in this case but in this case I was selling the car and wanted to be able to stand over it. A lot of what you are paying for is the Service History which adds value later. I can't imagine Nissan are making much money on servicing Leafs as they seem to be very reliable with little or no issues, going by this forum at least (and that's my own experience). Nissan will still have to keep a servicing infrastructure in place so it is possible that the price of a service will rise over time.

In this case I would be going back to them and querying why they approached it in this way and if not satisfied contact Nissan HQ. Also consider if it is possible to go to a different dealer next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Had to take our i3 for a recall on the fast charger recently. While there the service department did a quick look over. Sent a video of what was recommended ie. Front wipers and brake pads. Didn't so anything until we approved.

mordeith wrote: »
    Had to take our i3 for a recall on the fast charger recently. While there the service department did a quick look over. Sent a video of what was recommended ie. Front wipers and brake pads. Didn't so anything until we approved.

Skoda do same and send vids, texts and even call to get verbal authority before doing anything and talk through. Some stuff is advisory only and not essential.

I will phone Nissan tomorrow and ask them what they did during service and to sign off on the service book. I will say about wipers also that they should have asked me first.
    I say my old wipers are in the bin now so might just keep the new ones and pay the €75.
    Thanks all for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I will phone Nissan tomorrow and ask them what they did during service and to sign off on the service book. I will say about wipers also that they should have asked me first.
    I say my old wipers are in the bin now so might just keep the new ones and pay the €75.
    Thanks all for feedback.

Just to let you know, I bought a set of front wipers specific to leaf in Nissan dealer, they are indeed €50 for the front two.

Thanks all for feedback.

Tell them they owe you 75 for throwing away your wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭nu_90

Regarding bike rack, with our leaf 2014 we couldn't get bike carrier for boot because of rear spoiler and as far as i know you can't get a hitch put on either. Roof only option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Just to let you know, I bought a set of front wipers specific to leaf in Nissan dealer, they are indeed €50 for the front two.

This wiper thing is crazy! What brand are they? I changed both mine recently on a Gen1.5 Leaf to Bosch Aerotwin from Amazon for 20 euro, the Aerotwins curve to any windscreen shape - whats so different about the new Leaf windscreen?

I received invoice and front wiper blade cost 24.72, another front blade 28.14, rear wiper 20.60, pollen filter 20.60, sundries and env. disposal 7.90.
    Service included lights, levels topped up, brakes and steering components, full computer diagnostics, and road tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

slave1 wrote: »
    I pay €77-€79 for a full main dealer Leaf service, I replace likes of pollen filters and wipers myself so always tell them to ignore those items.
    I happened to have replaced my rear wiper with a Bosch H250 (so not a cheap brand) last week, just checking my Amazon account, cost £4.33 delivered.
    €78 for full set is extortionate pricing, labour is nothing as it would take no more than a minute to replace all three.

Tried ordering the H250 from Amazon and won't ship to Ireland. Did you have to AddressPal it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Hi All,
    I had my first sevice done on my Leaf. I brought it from a dealer over 2 years ago 2nd hand. It was due a service last march but due to Covid I left it.
    I am working remotely all year and car only did a few local trips.
    I asked how much service would cost and dealer said €100. I collected it and paid €100.
    Got a call when I arrived home to say I owe another €100 as they forgot to charge me for replacement wipers and pollen filter. Wipers cost 52 for front and 26 back. Seems v expensive. Anyway I told them I would drop money in next week.
    I looked online and see I can get cheaper wipers from micks garage. Any thoughts?
    I am looking for a bike rack also. Would anyone know where to get one for 2016 Leaf.
    Many thanks.

Was this in Ennis by any chance ?

• Advertisement

Not sure if I am able to say where dealer is located.

Tried ordering the H250 from Amazon and won't ship to Ireland. Did you have to AddressPal it ?

No, straight to the door, the current seller is AMZ EU, the one I got was sold by AMZ UK.
    AMZ change their delivery locations willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I get my 2016 Leaf serviced every year and the price is usually €180 for the service. It's a bit much to be frank but they're convenient and there's rarely anything wrong that needs fixing

They did tell me last year the wipers needed replacing, would've cost something like €70, I got a set online and replaced them myself

This year, I needed a windscreen washer replaced and the bolt cover on the rear wiper had fallen off. Parts cost €50 and €18 respectively, I felt they were taking the p!ss with those prices but wasn't able to find those parts online so had to pay up

They should always tell you about any extra works outside the base cost before carrying them out, to give you a chance to say no

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »

Mind if I ask where you're getting your car serviced? That's a lot cheaper than what I've typically been quoted

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Mullingar Nissan

Advertisement