Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

smallest 300w solar panel on market

• 15-04-2021 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a 300w panel but I need it as small as possible due to its location. What is the most watts per sq metre I can get from a solar panel?
    Thank you for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They are all pretty much the same in terms of efficiency so you will find very little difference between manufacturer A and B in terms of size if you are looking at just one panel wattage.
    These days to get higher wattage panels it's not the manufacturer you look at it's the size, e.g. 410w panel is 2m x 1m.
    Panels are getting bigger and bigger and the smaller wattage panels e.g. the 300w you're after are starting to become low on the ground as yesterdays product, there's no 300w panel anymore from midsummer or solartricity...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I was also looking for the smaller panels due to space constraint and this is the smallest one I was able to find https://midsummer.ie/buy/qcell-solar/Qcell-335-G9-BLK
    It's about 10cm less tall than the usual sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,737 ✭✭✭✭unkel

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    I was also looking for the smaller panels due to space constraint and this is the smallest one I was able to find https://midsummer.ie/buy/qcell-solar/Qcell-335-G9-BLK
    It's about 10cm less tall than the usual sizes.

Nope that's actually slightly bigger than standard size, which is roughly 165*99cm. Solartricity still stock standard size amerisolar panels, 320W and reasonably priced too. I picked one up yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I stand corrected then, would love 21 of the 450w Longis but Dublin suburb house...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I stand corrected then, would love 21 of the 450w Longis but Dublin suburb house...

If you have the roof space, do it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

We managed to get 10 onto the roof of our semi-d with a hip roof, 5 on the SE-facing side roof and 5 on the SW-facing rear roof. We're considering putting some on the front too in the future. Unfortunately they only cover about 50% of the roof space but the shape of the roof and the requirement to keep an unused space at the edges limit the number we could install. If Tesla's solar roof was available here, I suspect we'd get a lot more out of our roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

unkel wrote:
    Nope that's actually slightly bigger than standard size, which is roughly 165*99cm. Solartricity still stock standard size amerisolar panels, 320W and reasonably priced too. I picked one up yesterday

Sounds good where did you get it from? Where is a good retailer? Thanks you

You can buy from solartricity.ie directly, just ring the number. Very helpful guys and an Irish owned company.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

unkel wrote:
    You can buy from solartricity.ie directly, just ring the number. Very helpful guys and an Irish owned company.

Nice one thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

LG Neon panels are available in a 375W panel that is 1,700 x 1,016mm, so only very slightly longer than standard.
    https://www.lg.com/us/business/solar-panels/lg-lg375q1c-v5
    They won't be cheap though.

• Advertisement

21.7% efficiency, that's about the highest I've seen alright. Personally I think these panels are a bad idea, they are poor value for money. The cheapest panels you can buy now are 19.7% efficiency, so there is very little in it

I agree with you for normal domestic users for sure, but there are applications where efficiency is crucial.
    Also, the top tier manufacturers are the ones who are pushing the technology forward and paving the way for the lower tier manufacturers to copy essentially.

air wrote: »
    I agree with you for normal domestic users for sure, but there are applications where efficiency is crucial.

I find it hard to think of an example of that. Pay 100% more for 10% better efficiency?

unkel wrote: »
    I find it hard to think of an example of that. Pay 100% more for 10% better efficiency?

Well you don't have a great imagination then, there are myriad applications where efficiency is critical - anything that moves for a start.

A solar panel on something that moves? Like a car? :p

Must be some idiot willing to pay 100% more for 10% extra benefit. In fact there is zero extra benefit apart from 10% less space / weight taken up.

Jesus I don't know why I bother wasting my time to be honest.
    You should realise in life that not everyone has the same goals, priorities or requirements that you have.

If you view the world only from your own perspective then it's easy to understand how you find it difficult to understand things.

I'll provide you with an example - a remote monitoring station with limited space for panels due to property or licensing constraints, or where delivery is extremely expensive due to difficult access.
    Power is provided by PV with diesel generator backup.
    Here, every single watt hour can be crucial, and the cost uplift for premium panels is completely dwarfed by the benefit in reduced generator run time / diesel consumption.

I've dealt with situations like these were energy is worth euros per kWh at certain times of the year.

Now, this is a different situation to a semi D in Lucan, but not everyone that uses PV is dealing with those circumstances.

I could outline several other scenarios but hopefully one is enough to broaden your horizons.

No need to get upset. You'd almost think you're in the business of selling slightly more efficient, super expensive panels :p

"a remote monitoring station with limited space for panels due to property or licensing constraints, or where delivery is extremely expensive due to difficult access."

There must be lots of those around, are there? Is there even a single one in Ireland where the 10% extra efficiency would make a huge difference? I'd like to broaden my horizons, but you've yet to give me more than a blurred view beyond my semi D in Lucan and I usually have great views of Kippure from here

I'm not getting upset, but you're calling people idiots without any justification other than that they have different priorities than yourself.
    I could call you an idiot for driving a Tesla when a Fiesta would get you from A to B and it would be no less valid than your own attitude.

The high end panels are available and sell well because there are people with priorities that differ to your own that value their performance.
    If LG or Sunpower had a 500W panel of standard size available for €1000 each today, they would sell, and not to idiots.

Give me an eletric Fiesta that can seat 5 adults, a dog and can take a dozen solar panels or a bike whole, while having 600NM instant torque and able to do 0-60 in 3.9s and I might consider it :p

Not so sure why you are making this all personal. About me, my house, where I live, what car I drive, what solar install I have. Perhaps you ran out of arguments or examples showing where in this country it makes sense to have a panel with 10% higher efficiency for double the price.

It's called an analogy, I resorted to that as you seemed to be unable to grasp the fact that efficiency matters in many applications.
    It's hardly a personal intrusion as you never stop posting about your car, house etc as per the above.

Cost per annual kWh is not the critical factor for every application, premium panels make sense in very many applications, that is why there is a market for them.

• Advertisement

So no examples then? ;)

I already provided you with an example.
    If you have no appreciation for the specifics of it then I can't help you any further.
    Not everyone that buys solar panels is doing a mickey mouse DIY installation at the back of their house.

For a small installation in a commercial environment the panels themselves will make up a small proportion of the overall project cost, even a doubling of panel costs has a small impact on total costs.
    It's a no brainer then to use the best ones available if the space available is limited, as it often is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭con747

I'm getting my popcorn.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Sure a no brainer in your hypothetical installation that you can't give me a single example of :p

You're just reinforcing my long held opinion of you unkel, fair play.
    I feel sorry for you.

You're just reinforcing my long held opinion of you unkel, fair play.
    I feel sorry for you.

Playing the man instead of the ball again, I see.

I only see a troll here and not a man. You have been incredibly rude throughout.

I've provided a comprehensive answer to your question, I'm not going to quote commercial terms on projects that I've worked on to provide further detail to support my argument.

Since you seem to lack any vision or imagination though, I'll post an example of a similar application with physical space limitations with which I have no involvement.
    Lateral marker boys
    551193.jpeg

There are hundreds of them around the coast maintained by Irish lights, those in the Shannon estuary are much larger than the one pictured and solely powered by PV.
    You can read more about them here, however on past evidence you might be best to stick to the pictures.
    https://www.irishlights.ie/safety-navigation/cil-aids-to-navigation.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You also have a significant market in industry and pharmaceutical sectors for businesses wishing to lower carbon dependency, and become closer to grid independent.

Many of these types of projects don’t currently offer a return on investment - that’s not the key driver. Increased panel efficiency is likely to be worth a lot more to this type of customer. And it’s a rapidly growing market.

Panels for our the back of my house are a different story entirety - the key driver for most is a ROI

I'll post an example of a similar application with physical space limitations with which I have no involvement.
    Lateral marker boys
    551193.jpeg

There are hundreds of them around the coast maintained by Irish lights, those in the Shannon estuary are much larger than the one pictured and solely powered by PV.
    You can read more about them here, however on past evidence you might be best to stick to the pictures.
    https://www.irishlights.ie/safety-navigation/cil-aids-to-navigation.aspx

Thanks for coming up with an example. I struggle to see how it is demonstrated at all here though how a 21.7% efficiency standard size panel (320W) would make a crucial difference over a 19.7% efficiency standard size panel (just over 350W)?

So much so the higher price of the latter (double, triple?) makes no difference and buying the more efficient panel is a no brainer

That was your argument. Not build quality, longevity, lack of maintenance or anything else. Just the extra efficiency.

• Advertisement

The build quality, longevity etc are given further of course, and generally all better on the premium panels.
    However the extra efficiency alone still justifies the premium in many cases.
    I stand by my point and it's patently obvious to anyone that extra efficiency is a no brainer when cost is not a factor - as it often is not.
    The additional efficiency could easily make the difference in whether or not a particular load can be supported reliably or not.

Advertisement