Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Tubridy

Options
  • 18-04-2021 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I posted in Friday night's Late Late thread wondering how on earth old Tubs managed to get that gig, given that he is a woeful interviewer, and somebody mentioned that he was part of a political family.

But surely RTE would want somebody really good presenting the Late Late regardless of what their connections were?! It's arguably the station's flagship show, and it could be so much better. Do political connections really have that much sway that they'd allow their best show to tank because of a dreadful presenter?

I've only just moved back to Ireland after a long period overseas so I don't have a clue about him – did he do other presenting work before this?

Comments

It's a national disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

bunny_mac wrote: »
    I posted in Friday night's Late Late thread wondering how on earth old Tubs managed to get that gig, given that he is a woeful interviewer, and somebody mentioned that he was part of a political family.

But surely RTE would want somebody really good presenting the Late Late regardless of what their connections were?! It's arguably the station's flagship show, and it could be so much better. Do political connections really have that much sway that they'd allow their best show to tank because of a dreadful presenter?

I've only just moved back to Ireland after a long period overseas so I don't have a clue about him – did he do other presenting work before this?

Is this not just your opinion?

You state it as if it’s fact.

Ratings would say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Call Joe to complain......no, wait a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Generally gets very high viewing figures every week OP. Still plenty watching it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭paulpd

Generally gets very high viewing figures every week OP. Still plenty watching it.

A lot of these ratings have nothing to do with Tubridy. For example, the in laws in various parts of the country watch the Late Late no matter who's on. Its just the done thing. News and then The Late Late.

He's a shockingly poor interviewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

Ratings hardly mean much, the vast majority of older Irish will leave on RTE1 just because... I used to trick my father Into watching Discovery Channel by pretending it was RTE- He'd never check, as long as he presumed it was RTE he'd watch it,.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ryan Tubridy has a niche, but I'd argue that niche is not the Late Late. There used to be a TV show on RTE, which I cannot for the life of me remember the name of now, but it was a culture review show where they'd sit down and talk about books and TV and film. That would suit Tubbers down to the ground being he's such a bibliophile. He hasn't the type of intelligence or social grace required to handle a wide variety of people and he becomes profoundly nervous whenever anyone goes off script. He's overawed by anyone of any decent level of fame, which I think is a total no-no. A competent host should be able to establish themselves as an equal to anyone they sit across from, at least in terms of wit and force of personality. Imagine Tubridy trying to wrangle the likes of Oliver Reed of Spike Milligan. It'd be carnage. He couldn't even handle a drunk Rhys Ifans ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

paulpd wrote: »
    He's a shockingly poor interviewer.

Has the questions memorised and it doesn’t matter what the guest says he just asks the next predetermined question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I think people watch because it's the late late and it's traditional for alot of rural people in particular. Don't think it has much to do with Ryan T

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ryan Tubridy makes €500,000 a year doing a job he is woeful at...

Tommy Tiernan is way better than him and he doesnt even need to try...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

bunny_mac wrote: »

RTE is not a meritocracy. Like all things state-funded, it's run by overpaid bureaucrats wasting other peoples money.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don’t rate Tubridy, but by jaysus this Tiernan lad is getting overrated lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Thats about €9,500 a week, which sounds more expensive for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to agree about TT.
    He's a civil spud who has a good manner when chatting to people, but the way people are going on you'd think he was the best chat show host ever.

Maybe it shows just how bad ours are, that TT is held in such high regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭StevenToast

walshb wrote: »
    I don’t rate Tubridy, but by jaysus this Tiernan lad is getting overrated lately!

Let me be very clear.....im not praising Tommy Tiernan....

Im just highlighting how bad Tubridy is!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got to agree about TT.
    He's a civil spud who has a good manner when chatting to people, but the way people are going on you'd think he was the best chat show host ever.

Maybe it shows just how bad ours are, that TT is held in such high regard?

He's the best we have, but that's not a high bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tiernan's interviews are roughly an hour and then edited down to about 17 minutes, that definitely helps compared to the late late being live.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tiernan's interviews are roughly an hour and then edited down to about 17 minutes, that definitely helps compared to the late late being live.

Over a year now since the Late Late was live. Gaybo was master of the show, Pat was better than Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

Allinall wrote: »
    Is this not just your opinion?

You state it as if it’s fact.

Ratings would say otherwise.

It's my opinion, yes, but I've yet to come across anyone, in real life or online, who disagrees with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Over a year now since the Late Late was live. Gaybo was master of the show, Pat was better than Tubridy.

As 'wooden' as Pat was, I'd take him any day over Tupperware head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Matteyd

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Has the questions memorised and it doesn’t matter what the guest says he just asks the next predetermined question.

I think this was especially obvious with Michael D last week.

Tubs cut him off numerous times, often quite rudely, to prevent wandering off track. Especially since it was a prerecorded interview there was great opportunity to meander to more meaningful topics. But just as Michael D was getting going he was railroaded with a different topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

It certainly does help, but I can only imagine the very thought of having to conduct an off-the-cuff non-live interview lasting the guts of an hour without any preparation to be something that would make Tubridy curl up into a ball and wish he was instead off in his local library savouring the works of PG Wodehouse.

It's probably true that we'll never see the like of Gaybo again in terms of the balance of wit, charm and sensitivity. There are some good talk show hosts on TV still but they all seem to go too much for the funny and wouldn't be able to shift gears toward seriousness when required and do this in a live setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Matteyd wrote: »

Tubs cut him off numerous times, often quite rudely, to prevent wandering off track. Especially since it was a prerecorded interview there was great opportunity to meander to more meaningful topics. But just as Michael D was getting going he was railroaded with a different topic.

Michael D kinda needed reining in...he was going off on a bir of a mad one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Matteyd wrote: »

Didn't watch it, but anytime I've seen Tubridy interview someone (which admittedly isn't very often) I'm always struck by how rigid the interview is, it must be so boring for the interviewee.

Advertisement