Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Another Leinster vs Munster build-up/match thread Sat 24th April 7:35pm

• 19-04-2021 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

3879f0cc6974c5f6f77a1098a51762ac.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I get the general sense of "so what" given the recent history and the cobbled-together tournament, but I think it always matters to the 30 lads on the pitch when these sides meet and I am very much looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

hirondelle wrote: »
    I get the general sense of "so what" given the recent history and the cobbled-together tournament, but I think it always matters to the 30 lads on the pitch when these sides meet and I am very much looking forward to it.

Of course I'll watch it, but I hope that Munster will experiment somewhat in this tournament. About a third of our senior squad next season will have been promoted from the academy in the last two seasons and a significant number of older squad players have been let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Can't see past a Munster win - written off, backs against the wall, determined lay down a marker after losing last time out, always pulling it out of the fire when it really matters etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc <slips into painless coma>

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Posted this in the Leinster thread.

Leinster play Munster this Saturday. I can't remember a derby that's had as little a sense of anticipation as this one.

The rivalry has turned into a one sided domination in recent years, the game is in a tournament nobody cares about and Leinster will be using it as a training run for a much bigger game that's happening the following week.

I'm hopeful that Ryan.and Ringrose will take some part this weekend. If they get through that game ok Welly be much better off for La Rochelle.

Clegg wrote: »
    Posted this in the Leinster thread.

Leinster play Munster this Saturday. I can't remember a derby that's had as little a sense of anticipation as this one.

The rivalry has turned into a one sided domination in recent years, the game is in a tournament nobody cares about and Leinster will be using it as a training run for a much bigger game that's happening the following week.

I'm hopeful that Ryan.and Ringrose will take some part this weekend. If they get through that game ok Welly be much better off for La Rochelle.

Unfortunately, they boxed themselves in announcing the RC back in Dec/Jan and now this is the best we've got. Had the SA variant not been a thing, we would have had the SA teams in Europe already and these three weeks of derbies would not take place.

I've said before and I'll say it again: The alternative of continuing to finish out the Pro14 as is wasn't exactly inviting either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm more interested in the line ups than the match at this point. Leinster are going to go close to full strength due to the impending European semi final. Munster have a very different priority in terms of starting to prepare for life after Stander, Holland, JJH and anyone else who might be departing this summer. Big opportunity for them to blood some guys into the 23 against top level opposition with no real risk of negatively impacting their season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Reckon both will go pretty much full strength. Might see Ross Byrne/JGP start ahead of Sexton/McGrath and Porter for Furlong but aside from that I'm expecting all the big guns. Maybe Kearney for Lowe? Not exactly a massive fall in quality there in any of those changes bar the one at 10.

With regards to the superior team, I hope Shane Daly comes in for Conway - wouldn't be opposed to either JJ or Casey starting. Apart from that, it's hard to see us not playing the side that played Leinster last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Reckon both will go pretty much full strength. Might see Ross Byrne/JGP start ahead of Sexton/McGrath and Porter for Furlong but aside from that I'm expecting all the big guns. Maybe Kearney for Lowe? Not exactly a massive fall in quality there in any of those changes bar the one at 10.

With regards to the superior team, I hope Shane Daly comes in for Conway - wouldn't be opposed to either JJ or Casey starting. Apart from that, it's hard to see us not playing the side that played Leinster last time out.

Be a waste to have JJ start considering he's heading off in a few weeks time though. Now would be exactly the time you want to start Healy and have Crowley on the bench because that'll be the scenario next season if Joey is injured, and there's nothing to play for in this tournament.

It's a bit harsh but I wouldn't have any of the departing players involved much, if at all. 10 is the best example where Crowley, Flannery and Healy are all available to rotate with Carbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Munster have to go all out to win this, not the match to be blooding in players IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Munster have to go all out to win this, not the match to be blooding in players IMO.

Why though? There's nothing at stake for this tournament at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

We should try Leinster full team vs Best of the Rest in the other 3 provnces
    would be tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭nerd69

Honestly leinster where far more comfortable than the score on the previous game. There's a sense of hopelessness from munsters side tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Personally would like to see some changes to the Munster lineup over the next few games. Particularly, one of Knox and/or Salanoa getting a few starts. The fact that that's what comes to my mind about Munster over the next few games unfortunately says a lot about where I feel they are..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Easy to say for Leinster whove won so many leagues on the trot, Its a potential league win/trophy for rest and Munster havent beaten Leinster in some time so getting a win is vital...

Of the departing players, only CJ is a starter. You aren't making massive changes by leaving out those players.

We don't have a European match left, the Pro14 is finished, this is the only competition we have left til next season.
    Munster have lost too many games against Leinster to go out with a weakened team.
    Try to beat 'em now with the best players available, and let next season look after itself for blooding in players.
    We also owe it to the departing players to give them the opportunity to beat Leinster before they depart.
    We may end up meeting them one more time in the RC final but that's not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yeah I've no problem with Crowley and Healy picking up minutes in the Rainbow Cup, but putting them out against a fully loaded Leinster team could be suicidal for their confidence. We go full strength for this.

If we want to give them a start each against Ulster or Connacht, then fire away. But this game is not the time to be throwing the young fellas into the deep end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Buer

connachta wrote: »
    would be tasty

I agree that a Leinster versus an Ulster/Munster select would be interesting but I'd back Leinster to pinch it.

I'd like a Munster 23 of something like this:
    1. Kilcoyne, 2. O'Byrne, 3. Archer,
    4. Beirne, 5. Kleyn,
    6. Stander, 8. Coombes, 7. O'Donoghue
    9. Casey, 10. Carbery,
    11. Daly, 12. Farrell, 13. De Allende, 14. Earls,
    15. Haley.
    Subs: Scannell, Cronin, Ryan, Holland/Wycherley, O'Mahony/O'Sullivan, Murray, Hanrahan, Conway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

connachta wrote: »
    would be tasty

I love that idea.

Current Leinster v Former Leinster players sounds like an absolute cracker of a game :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Seven is Heaven
    Can't Wait for Eight
    Don't Whine about Nine

Yeah I've no problem with Crowley and Healy picking up minutes in the Rainbow Cup, but putting them out against a fully loaded Leinster team could be suicidal for their confidence. We go full strength for this.

If we want to give them a start each against Ulster or Connacht, then fire away. But this game is not the time to be throwing the young fellas into the deep end.

I think Healy has played enough this season to where you could put him on the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

JVG has already used the phrase heavy rotation in relation to this tournament. I doubt the 'full strength' team will play in any of the games. They are out of Europe and 2nd Pro14 seed in Europe next season is already guaranteed. This tournament will be used to get minutes into players who'll be stepping up next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd like a Munster 23 of something like this:
    1. Kilcoyne, 2. O'Byrne, 3. Archer,
    4. Beirne, 5. Kleyn,
    6. Stander, 8. Coombes, 7. O'Donoghue
    9. Casey, 10. Carbery,
    11. Daly, 12. Farrell, 13. De Allende, 14. Earls,
    15. Haley.
    Subs: Scannell, Cronin, Ryan, Holland/Wycherley, O'Mahony/O'Sullivan, Murray, Hanrahan, Conway.
    I wouldn't TBH. I don't want to see JJ or Holland involved again. If he doesn't get picked in the Lions squad I wouldn't pick Stander again either. Their replacements should be bedded in now. I also want to see Knox and/or Salanoa named in every 23. We're going nowhere with Archer/Ryan. Lets see what these two lads can do with a sustained run in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Some good news for Leinster:

Scott Penny and Tommy O'Brien are fully fit and available for selection this weekend.

Doris, Ryan, Connors and Ringrose have all stepped up their training regime and could be available for selection depending how they get on in training this week.

Sexton is still following the RTTP and will be unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have to say I enjoyed the bit of needle before the last game but this game just feels pointless. I'd like Leinster to win but I'd much prefer no injuries and some good prep for the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Clegg wrote: »
    Some good news for Leinster:

Scott Penny and Tommy O'Brien are fully fit and available for selection this weekend.

Doris, Ryan, Connors and Ringrose have all stepped up their training regime and could be available for selection depending how they get on in training this week.

Sexton is still following the RTTP and will be unavailable.

No mention of Vakh. He was stepping up his training a few weeks ago. He's the kind of player i would like o see in the Leinster rotation for the Rainbow Cup. Props need a bit of sink, then swim, to coin a phrase. Porter was losing more battles than he won towards the beginning of Furlong's injury. But they had no choice other than to stick with him and look at how much he improved and benefited Leinster and Ireland.

Lots of talk about rotating the Munster squad but there's plenty of scope to rotate at Leinster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I can't see Leinster going full strenght! Why risk injury? I expect Healy to bench, Henshaw to be rested and maybe Keenan too. DK in for Lowe and JGP starting.
    Something like
    Dooley
    Treacy
    Porter
    Molony
    Fardy
    Murphy
    Penny
    Conan
    JGP
    RB
    DK
    ROL
    Ringrose if fit
    KELLEHER
    JOB

Cronin
    Healey
    Bent
    Toner
    SOB
    HOS
    HB
    TOB
    Still a good side!

• Advertisement

All of the available Lions hopefuls will start this game I imagine. Both the players and the IRFU will want this.

Advertisement