Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New game workshopping and brainstorming

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Would it be of any use to have a sticky thread that people could post in it the day and time they are planning to do a reveal, then people doing a contest could check it to see if a certain time slot is free and not be accidentally stepping on other people's toes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There was this, but it never seemed to catch on.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058010009

Could bump it there and see if it works better going forward, and if it does, we can then sticky it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Has anyone done Alphabet SHEEP for colours, seems obvious, but when I looked back it wasn't done recently anyway that I could see?

If not I might give the sheepulator a go with a little twist on this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sounds good Ari - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I thought of another angle.

A general knowledge Sheep with bonus sheep points: Each player will get bonus points for their first Sheep only and those bonus points are equivalent to the sheep. In other words, for a player's first sheep, they will be given double the value of that sheep in points. It would be interesting to see if that effects how people decide on the answers they submit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

You should give it a shot Dec!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think we had one where we could select an answer that we thought would be the biggest sheep and if sheeped you would double your points. Thought that one was fun so the above looks great, would be very interesting to see how people go

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Trigger wrote: »
    I think we had one where we could select an answer that we thought would be the biggest sheep and if sheeped you would double your points. Thought that one was fun so the above looks great, would be very interesting to see how people go
    Yeah, aaron definitely did it for the US/UK sheep, worked well

I can't remember who did it first but I stole the idea for the first advent calender too. Didn't work so well there, I think because you don't know all the questions in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Yeah, aaron definitely did it for the US/UK sheep, worked well

I can't remember who did it first but I stole the idea for the first advent calender too. Didn't work so well there, I think because you don't know all the questions in advance

I had the Blockbuster Ticket :D in my movie game, basically doubled your points for one round.

Don't think I pioneered the bonus concept, I'm sure I nicked it from someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Kolido wrote: »
    I had the Blockbuster Ticket :D in my movie game, basically doubled your points for one round.

Don't think I pioneered the bonus concept, I'm sure I nicked it from someone.
    Ah, I thought it was a movie one but wasn't sure!

No, I don't think you invented the idea of bonuses, but you can take the credit for the boards sheep version :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I have an early concept of a bonus with a twist.

Standard sheep game, everyone picks a question NOT to answer.

If 8 or more choose the same question, get 50 points.

If 7 or less choose it, get 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I have an early concept of a bonus with a twist.

Standard sheep game, everyone picks a question NOT to answer.

If 8 or more choose the same question, get 50 points.

If 7 or less choose it, get 0.

I'd say to link the 7/8 numbers to entry numbers.

so, with a 24 player game, 24/3 = 8

so, to make that same mechanic work the same in a 12 player game, number would have to be 12/3 = 3

and in a 99 player game it would be 33.

what numbers where you thinking of for the 7/8 to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Neowise wrote: »
    I'd say to link the 7/8 numbers to entry numbers.

so, with a 24 player game, 24/3 = 8

so, to make that same mechanic work the same in a 12 player game, number would have to be 12/3 = 3

and in a 99 player game it would be 33.

what numbers where you thinking of for the 7/8 to work?

I am just mulling it over at the moment.

Numbers were purely an example. Was thinking around a quarter/fifth of players.
    It needs to be high enough to be an expensive mistake, but also an achievable target to hit.

Or maybe I am just evil thinking of something like this.

Best video game tournament. This was mentioned over on Necros surlaw reveal, without derailing that fine thread I though I would moved the discussion here.

I did think of running this a few times, but like LeVar and Shane, I was put off by a few things.

1. Too niche, wouldn't be enough interest from the fine folk here
    2. I thought it was ran already over where Mack used to run his, though I never actually went looking so I could be wrong

Obviously the headline tournament here would be the best game ever, but I think given enough interest, there is a lot a millage you could get from this.

Best game by console
    Best game by genre
    Best game character
    Best game music

There are video game and retro/arcade forums here, I follow the latter myself, you might get some interest from the guys there.

So to summarize, I think it is a great idea, not a game I plan on running myself but one I would definitely play

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

We have had the greatest female vocalist contest but what about running a greatest ever all-female band/song?

I would add that girl-groups like Sice Girls or Girls Aloud etc would probably not qualify because it was mostly male session musicians who played for them. Think more like The Bangles and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Would there be interest in a quick walrus sheep combi, sex themed for the weekend, 1 day noms 1 day reveals, bringing a bit of dirty sex shame to the forum :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Would there be interest in a quick walrus sheep combi, sex themed for the weekend, 1 day noms 1 day reveals, bringing a bit of dirty sex shame to the forum :p

fmASGzHE3xO_JOxL-tCaFgjAqSRB7kzlqXrWI9JSK32f94QEEvIcW7Pbny2sE1fhoVQ4HjO0zZqeTRjR411_XXyCacPS2j6gBaoyL7cu8ZS-jL7H1H8HDf8TlAzHeVk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I'm away this weekend so will only be on intermittently. I would definitely enjoy reading a reveal belatedly if people did put themselves their songs forward for rating ;)

ari101 wrote: »
    I'm away this weekend so will only be on intermittently. I would definitely enjoy reading a reveal belatedly if people did put themselves their songs forward for rating ;)

If allowed I will do a non pg game the weekend after so you can participate too ;) as Kol has reveal plans this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

tenor-2.gif

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    fmASGzHE3xO_JOxL-tCaFgjAqSRB7kzlqXrWI9JSK32f94QEEvIcW7Pbny2sE1fhoVQ4HjO0zZqeTRjR411_XXyCacPS2j6gBaoyL7cu8ZS-jL7H1H8HDf8TlAzHeVk
    ShaneU wrote: »
    tenor-2.gif

Excitement In or Disgust?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Excitement In or Disgust?
    giphy-3.webp

If allowed I will do a non pg game the weekend after so you can participate too ;) as Kol has reveal plans this weekend

I'm willing to step aside for this :D

Kolido wrote: »
    I'm willing to step aside for this :D

No this is your weekend Kol

Advertisement