Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mercedes CLS or Audi A7

• 17-04-2021 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi looking at the above cars what are your thoughts?
    What year would recommend, problems to look out for ?

Looking at getting a good car for the next 3 or 4 years before changing, not getting a mortgage for another 3 years so looking at treating myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I always preferred the look of the CLS

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

I always preferred the look of the CLS

I have been a long admirer of Audi especially the A7 but the CLS has caught by eye .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Slight preference for A7 but depends on styling. Make sure to get an S Line, preferably black edition in the audi and Amg line in the merc.

As for which years? Depends on your budget. A7 go from 15 grand or so up to 80 grand on a newer one. CLS can be bought much older and hence cheaper.

Since you say you've no mortgage or anything yet I'd suggest going for a low mileage older model, but it's still going to cost you to the bulk of a house deposit if you want anything under 8 years old!
    That said I had 4 bmws in my 20s before getting a mortgage so you only live once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

If it’s the current models of both cars the new A7 is a looker it the first generation not so much to my eyes at least.
    To be fair they are both lovely cars, get the best you can for the budget and be happy with either.

Well I would like a mortgage in the future so wont be getting an 80k car .
    Looking at 2015 - 2017 model in both the CLS & A7

• Advertisement

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Slight preference for A7 but depends on styling. Make sure to get an S Line, preferably black edition in the audi and Amg line in the merc.

Black/ Grey would be my choice, definitely has to be an S Line Audi & Amg in Mercedes

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Black Edition is a trim pack that replaces all the exterior chrome bits such as front grill and side window strips with gloss black, it's nothing to do with the colour of the car. :)

CLS, Audi is not in the same race

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

My brother had a CLS350 a few years ago. Was pretty nice but he test drove the CLS250 and said it felt quiet sluggish.
    It was a year old when he bought it and sold it with around 220k on it. There wasn't any reliability issues with it in that time.

Personally I prefer the CLS to look at.

What about a 640d?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the CLS if it's the 250, that has the old 2.1 litre 4 cylinder lump which is really unrefined in such a car. If your going CLS then the 350 is much better.

OP, have you looked at the BMW 640d Gran Coupe?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the CLS if it's the 250, that has the old 2.1 litre 4 cylinder lump which is really unrefined in such a car. If your going CLS then the 350 is much better.

OP, have you looked at the BMW 640d Gran Coupe?

CLS 350 for sure

640d gran coupe are lovely. does anyone follow bob flavin? He reviewed one on his YouTube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

CLS 350 for sure

640d gran coupe are lovely. does anyone follow bob flavin? He reviewed one on his YouTube channel

I had a 640d, regrettably only for 3 months. I test drove a CLS350 as its replacement but ending up bringing home a completely different car. I would take the 640d any day over the CLS. The CLS seemed to want to be a gran coupe and a full size luxury car at the same time. More body roll than the 640d for example and seemed slower.

Its still a lovely car and you might love it, I just happened to drive a different car while I was there and liked it more. Also the CLS only has two rear seats if that's something that bothers you.

I know nothing about the A7, but I think it's got an ugly rear, no offense to anyone who owns one.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Luke774

CLS 350 for sure

Have you thought about other cars like Bmw , audi A4, A5 A6? You would get a higher year in those for less then you would pay for a 2013 A7 or Cls dont forget in 3/4 years time you wont get much for a 2015 A7 / Cls as it will be 10 years old.

Getting something else just because it's a higher year might not be what the OP wants otherwise I'm sure he could go out and buy a brand new Dacia Duster for similar money to satisfy that.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Getting something else just because it's a higher year might not be what the OP wants otherwise I'm sure he could go out and buy a brand new Dacia Duster for similar money to satisfy that.

Exactly I would rank a Mercedes and A7 Audi over most of the models mentioned, BMW would be an option some unreal bmws out there . The CLS has just caught my eye recently but I am still looking .

What's your max budget?

Theres about 15k between vrt and nox on that a7 you linked from northern ireland, although nox is coming in at the max so that may be less in reality.

23k gbp is now about 27k euro so it's a 42k car landed here. If there's vat due on it it's then mad money altogether.

What's your max budget?

Theres about 15k between vrt and nox on that a7 you linked from northern ireland, although nox is coming in at the max so that may be less in reality.

23k gbp is now about 27k euro so it's a 42k car landed here. If there's vat due on it it's then mad money altogether.

Well if I was to get it on finance it would be different .
    I'd say between 15 - 20k .
    Where did you find out how much the vrt and nox where ?

Would it be better to look here just might not get a high spec.

Well if I was to get it on finance it would be different .
    I'd say between 15 - 20k .
    Where did you find out how much the vrt and nox where ?

Would it be better to look here just might not get a high spec.

Vrt calculator on revenue site. Just put in the model, year and mileage. I guessed a mid 17 for value so it may be a little higher or a little lower.
    You might get something in around the 2012 to 2013 bracket for your budget. Top end of your budget will get you a reasonably low mileage car, bottom end will be a 200 k kms + example.

A7 is an expensive car even second hand. I presume cls is too. I've often looked at A7 but for what is exactly the same car as a 3.0 tdi A6 wearing a different dress, they're much more expensive.
    They're about 80k new. Not great value in Northern ireland to be honest. Rest of uk is closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Luke774

A7 is an expensive car even second hand. I presume cls is too. I've often looked at A7 but for what is exactly the same car as a 3.0 tdi A6 wearing a different dress,

They are the exact same engine your just paying for the shape really . Can always stick on new alloys later on if wanted to to . I would prefer to go up the years instead of paying over 20k just a low age A7

• Advertisement

Luke774 wrote: »
    They are the exact same engine your just paying for the shape really . Can always stick on new alloys later on if wanted to to . I would prefer to go up the years instead of paying over 20k just a low age A7

The entry level engines in the A7 were 3.0 litre. 3.0 lite in an A6 is fairly rare compared to the mass of 2.0 litre ones on the road. The standard equipment in the A7 is also higher than in the A6.

Having the newest year reg over a superior car is not the most important thing to some people. And remember it's the OP whose buying the car, not yourself.

Advertisement