Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sligo dump prices

• 27-02-2021 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Anyone know the price of bring a trailer or van of black waste to the dump?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its done by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Legally it's meant to be done by weight, but its not done this way anymore in sligo. I used to bring my waste to greenstar instead of having a bin and would pay by weight for black waste. However they then changed this and were charging, I think, €8 per bin bag of black waste.

I know there is a set rate for black waste for individual bin bags, van full or small trailer. I just cant remember the price. Will have to call in there tomorrow to find out, just thought someone here might know

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I took this pic of the prices on their gate last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

We used to go to Green Star and paid for our weight, then the last time I went I was told to go next door to the recycling area. A guy at the gate looked in the back and told me it would be € 25 for what we had, usually € 12 max. I told him that was too high and he told me he would "let me go" for € 15. When we went in their recycling system was a disgrace, just fire stuff wily nilly into skips with everything dumped together. Suffice to say we don't go there anymore, no doubt Sligo County Council and the Green Party are happy with its mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there a landfill in Sligo?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there a landfill in Sligo?

No

Interesting there is a landfill in Ballahadereen but in the usual way you are not allowed to go to it anymore. You have to take your rubbish to a Barna site on the far side of the town which is an old factory. Some gets dumped in the factory building, some sets into large skips and Barna takes it to the landfill site which is a joke. You should take note that there is also a recycling centre at the site of the landfill run by Roscommon County Council, they also have one in Boyle which is a total joke. Only open 3 days a week and you cannot use it without a ticket which is sold next door but the co-op next door closes half day Saturday. Also Wicklow County Council run a brilliant one in Bray which you can use for free but the rest of us have to pay for a selective service. Which amounts to everything being tossed into 2 large wheelie bins. Cardboard in one, plastic and tins in the other. They also seem to employ some very ignorant staff, not all of them but a couple who should not be working at all such is their attitude, of course, these guys have a job for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

I find Boyle recycling centre excellent. You can get tickets in several shops around town. Buying a book means you always have some in the car. It's set up really well, clear signage and containers for disposing of a large amount of different materials including waste oils, paints, even polystyrene. Its always kept very tidy too.

I raised the issue of pay by weight ages ago at greenstar. I also used to pay by weight, didn't have a bin collection just brought everything to greenstar. When the changed the pricing away from pay by weight I was charged so much more and ended up getting a bin collection instead. Makes no sense as pay by weight was meant to reduce charges for those who produced smaller amounts of waste but it actually had the opposite effect for me and the amount of waste I had was very small. Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

I need to dump a lot of hollow metal poles (iron I think, from a large trampoline). Is the metal recyclers at the far end of the docks still taking scrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I need to dump a lot of hollow metal poles (iron I think, from a large trampoline). Is the metal recyclers at the far end of the docks still taking scrap?

There's a place out in drumiskibole takes metal. Turn right just before you turn in for NCT centre. They took a load of old bikes off me. No charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks SJK, I forgot about that place, I scrapped a car there a few years ago.

I wish I had the same information you got, I was told that only Connacht Gold Co-op and Londis sold the tickets. I went to the recycling centre en route to meeting my wife at Boyle station one Saturday afternoon, the co-op was closed and Londis had no tickets and the ignorant staff member on duty, just shrugged his shoulders and told me that was tough, no ticket no service and he is the only gruff person working there. I explained that I had a stroke recently and that I have trouble thinking even about easy things and again he shrugged. What a pity these awful people cannot be sacked when they don't do their job properly. By the way, my information came from a phone call to Roscommon County Council when I rang them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Do you know how much is worth old car battery? Is it worth going with 2 of them to the depot?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

loki7777 wrote: »
    Do you know how much is worth old car battery? Is it worth going with 2 of them to the depot?

I think you have to pay them.

loki7777 wrote: »

Bring them to willie tighe, Atlantic metals. They'll pay you for them

You have to pay to use the depot, old car batteries are not worth anything

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

For anyone wanting to get rid of small electric domestic appliances, I find Greenstar are good. I took a dead food steamer, coffee machine and kettle to them last week, no charge for tipping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

whatswhat wrote: »
    For anyone wanting to get rid of small electric domestic appliances, I find Greenstar are good. I took a dead food steamer, coffee machine and kettle to them last week, no charge for tipping them.
    That’s the whole point of the weee recycling scheme that’s added to the cost of electronics.

Advertisement