Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

tusk wrote: »
    i really wanted to play, but life got in the way unfortunately.

However, it got me thinking.... would people be interested in a game where the thread is only open say from 5pm to 10pm each evening. so people in work can still play.

Of course, this would likely be a much smaller game and would probably work best as vanilla as possible, but thought it could be another option to help keep people who want to participate involved.

Works better for me yes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

BJ I loved this game, been awhile since I’ve been able to really get into one like this. I was tired on Tuesday after being up so early to bring my mum to hospital , that explains my change in posting that many noticed but I’m glad I was able to recompose after a better sleep. That’s one of the benefits of a longer game.

One thing in particular a poor player like me appreciated was the simple straight forward rules. So for example I started to go down a rabbit hole that maybe only those who vote or kill T-1000 can become him but BJ cleared it up and saved me a head melt theory.

I suppose the hardest thing without a seer was that you have very little to go on until wolves start showing up. Maybe having more (the tracking one on votes) would counter the seer. So you could have an RV with that power and maybe it could be available with a bullet and shield like you did in comps. Was good that there were prizes, maybe one game prizes could be randed among villages throughout game to make sure everybody gets something?! Meh, maybe not.

Couple of things with prizes though. Maybe if a person wins the prize they can’t enter again. Gives more people opportunities to win. Also maybe if gifts are being given out they can only be given once to a person who hasn’t won a prize. Again just more about getting more villagers involved then anything else. Like the idea of two prize times in a day as not everybody can make set times.

I actually enjoyed having no role and no power.
    tusk wrote: »
    i really wanted to play, but life got in the way unfortunately.

However, it got me thinking.... would people be interested in a game where the thread is only open say from 5pm to 10pm each evening. so people in work can still play.

Of course, this would likely be a much smaller game and would probably work best as vanilla as possible, but thought it could be another option to help keep people who want to participate involved.

Totall agree with something like this. Maybe 4-11 to allow for bit of family time. There’s only so long I can get away with staring at wife and kids while not listening to what they are saying as I am trying to work out WW stuff.

I love the long games in one way because they can feel epic. But in another they are draining. I find it had to drag myself away when I into a game. I’m sort of half focusing on work and half on the game so a major break in between would hopefully help me have time to review events and not be spending all the break time in games thinking about the game.

Overall this was intense but very enjoyable. Thanks again BJ and all the players for making it so enjoyable. And for not lynching me for being an unhinged lady. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Werewolf Terminator Feedback, - Modding perspective

My goal initially was to provided a game that appealed to most and keep it as easy to follow for new players and returning players.

Firstly I had no intention of hosting a Terminator game primarily. I wanted Arrested Development if Im honest as Ive binged watched it over Xmas, but if I gave enough options and made suggested themes that people wanted available, it would appeal to more. I feel the more popular theme helped in getting sign ups. Id prefer to run a game that had more players than a niche theme with fewer players.

Terminator gave me the chance to keep it simply, however I didnt want it to be completely vanilla as some cool mechanics is part of what makes games more appealing to seasoned players. Yes I wanted to appeal to new and returning players, but i didn't want to make the game too simply and unappealing to seasoned players.

I was happy to make the OP available ahead of time and I feel this helped more players prior to playing. It gave me a chance to answer questions and provide clarity to unsure players.

That said, I love an OP with mystery and thats a personal choice. I feel when it comes to big monthly games, it should be an off again on again system. 1 game in Feb thats complicated and complex followed by a more simplistic and newplayer friendly game. Variety and all that.

I wanted to set up a game with no seer. It was experimental as I never played in a game without one and in hindsight it was just about worked out, but only after a wolf was caught. I liked that it gave no safety net to players who had to use their instinct more. I feel the outcome proved it successful as it didnt stop the village from winning .... though it was a fine margin in terms of choices.

The simplistic nature of the game made modding alone fairly handy to keep on top of, though there were times that I was panicing.

Player wise, everyone was a pleasure to work with, the new players were very open and willing to get involved, the experienced players gave me no issues at all. I never felt I had to step in, (came close when Doris was telling folks to piss off).

very happy it went the full 5 days though the opening day was worrying me because no shots were fired (maybe I need to put a YOU MUST SHOOT option).

The comps were experimental, they were never going to be accessible to everyone but Im glad most took part. Though I didnt think they included everyone and thats an issue.

The secret power was never going to be a big power, but as a power of fake claims I felt it was a fun mechanic having the secrecy. I loved how the almanac worked in the BTTF game and I felt whoever was John could bluff their way to success, so very happy this worked as intended.

Overall i loved modding this game. It was perfect, but I loved that so many took part and so many enjoyed it. I enjoyed it most of all I feel as it gave me more love of the game when I was feeling burnt out playing.

I feel the game from a community POV was a success. We got returning players, new players and seasoned players all loving WW again. That was the aim and I feel we as a community achieved it. Thank you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote:
    I wanted to set up a game with no seer. It was experimental as I never played in a game without one and in hindsight it was just about worked out, but only after a wolf was caught. I liked that it gave no safety net to players who had to use their instinct more. I feel the outcome proved it successful as it didnt stop the village from winning .... though it was a fine margin in terms of choices.

No seer games are tough, they're known as mountainous on other forums and would generally be vanilla wolves vs NRVs.

Not for everyone surely but worth a shot, twas your game at the end of the day and in the end the village pulled through with a couple of gutsy plays and some genuine old fashioned sleuthing ala Trigs/Angus. Fabulous spot to find just the three posts out of place.

Derry shooting Conor took serious guts too, could have gone so differently if they had either pulled their shot or hit a villager.

Then Eva with the fake peek play to finish us off was brilliant too.

beakerjoe wrote:
    I feel the game from a community POV was a success. We got returning players, new players and seasoned players all loving WW again. That was the aim and I feel we as a community achieved it. Thank you.

That's the main thing for me. Wins, losses, don't make any difference at all to me as long as everyone has a good time and I think everyone would say they did after this one. Fair play for that beaker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

beakerjoe wrote: »

Overall i loved modding this game. It was perfect, but I loved that so many took part and so many enjoyed it. I enjoyed it most of all I feel as it gave me more love of the game when I was feeling burnt out playing.

As a "returning player", but haven't really played all that many before, and I think it was 2016 when I did, thank you so much. Being landed the role of vig was a bit of a shock, and I had no idea what I was doing half the time - kept second guessing myself. But your chats in the back room, and offers of help, etc. really helped, and I loved every second of it (regardless of what my back room musings might suggest). Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Overall I really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how I felt about the no seer option and even though it did swing in the villages favour, I think without that final peek it would likely have gone another way. Basically I wouldn't be a fan of it being a regular thing but I do now like the idea of having a limited number of peeks available which I'd never have thought before this.

The only 'criticism' I would have (and it is a teeny tiny one as I think BJ did a brilliant job) was the last minute announcement of speed days...I have fallen foul of them before and only that I am working from home was I able to adjust somewhat. I'd really like if mods could in future give advanced notice if speed days are likely to happen- it would let me know if I should sign up.

It's probably because I get sucked into games so much that if I'm still alive by Thurs/Fri I feel guilty about letting my team down if I'm not around to participate.

I did feel like the post limits made things much more managable. I know it ended a high posting game but the evening read back didn't feel overwhelming.

Well done Beaker!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just wanted to add my thoughts to the Terminator game, firstly it was excellently ran and modded. The new mechanics of the T-1000 was a great addition to the game, kept everyone in a constant state of paranoia.

The players were excellent and the game was great fun, what I've learnt from this game is I jsut don't have time to commit to a full game like this anymore, even with the post limits it takes up such a large portion of the day/night. Alot of that is down to me, if I'm playing I'm all in, I need to give it my whole attention or I just won't care and there's no point in playing if your heart isnt in it. Unless I have time booked off and have no plans I don't see how I can participate again sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Haven't had my home laptop switched on since the last game was almost finished.

Thanks Beaker, was a great game and totally impressed that you did it all yourself! It was tough for NRV with no Seer for sure, can't believe we won considering.

I liked the restricted post count, especially the days I was working as it meant it wasn't an off-putting task of catching up. I do struggle with the lynch times as I am an hour ahead and not a night owl. I am usually in bed after 10! and I am up early to get the little one to school and me to work.

It was tough to do the comps when I was working due to us not supposed to be on forums at work! for some reason mobile is not working great. I could not reply to PM's lately.

Was good to be playing again, good to see some old and new faces! roll on the next one :D

Father Ted 2 Feddback.

From a players POV I really enjoyed it. Cant fault it.

I feel knowing the set up really helps the village and restricts the bad guys from lying. (thats not a knock against the mods a sits what players wanted via previous feedback). That said Im sure it helps newer players adapt to the game in an easier manner.

Knowing who won each prize gave the wolves less places to hide, as did knowing the roles. No issue with it to be honest, but I would like a variety of transparent information games and some shrouded in mystery (or at least with some mystery.).

That said I loved the raffle idea, it provided prizes without the need to have players present.

I feel , like last game, the subs worked perfectly and the subbing appeared seamless. Having 3 subs really takes pressure off the mods and takes pressure off players who feel the have to bow out. Each game should aspire to have at least 2 subs.

Overall I feel it was a fun game, enjoyed it loads. thank you mods.

I'd second a lot of what Beaker said. I think this game also showed that, even with that transparency that BJ mentions, the game can be engaging and fun.

I LOVED the morning newspapers and I loved how friendly the game was overall. I think the recent feedback given post-game has had a really positive impact and I'd like to see that continued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

As a first-timer (online anyway), think it was very straightforward and cohesive game for getting a feel for the boards style of play.

It was a great to have the backroom there for a new player to ask questions, even if I didn't actually end up using mine... :D
    Was good to know it was there.

Mostly it was just a lot of fun, very well organised, nicely ran, and I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth (pun intended) into the next one.

As a first-timer (online anyway), think it was very straightforward and cohesive game for getting a feel for the boards style of play.

It was a great to have the backroom there for a new player to ask questions, even if I didn't actually end up using mine... :D
    Was good to know it was there.

Mostly it was just a lot of fun, very well organised, nicely ran, and I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth (pun intended) into the next one.

You never seemed inexperienced.... 'The Natural' LeVar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

As a relatively new player, this is my second game after Terminator, I found this one to be a little bit easier for me to get into the swing of things, thats not a knock on BJ's game, I really enjoyed that, I just found it harder to understand the game and mechanics a bit compared to this one..

Keeping it simple and known really helped with the enjoyment for me. I do like the complexity in games but it was one of the reasons why it took me so long to sign up, apart from time really. I really think games like this one and Terminator to a degree, will attract new players.

That said, the vanilla games should maybe be a bit more regular to help the new players get the feel for the monthly complex games.

I now understand why people feel zapped out after a game. But I love mental torture and would play another one Monday if I could :D

You never seemed inexperienced.... 'The Natural' LeVar Burton

Well aside from in-person Werewolf and similar games, I also used to play online versions of Survivor and Big Brother (the US version, which is not just a public popularity contest like the UK one) both of which are all about strategy, alliances, figuring out who to trust, and knowing what the next 3 or 4 steps should be if the preceding steps go smoothly, so I guess there are certainly transferrable skills from those. ;)

Well aside from in-person Werewolf and similar games, I also used to play online versions of Survivor and Big Brother (the US version, which is not just a public popularity contest like the UK one) both of which are all about strategy, alliances, figuring out who to trust, and knowing what the next 3 or 4 steps should be if the preceding steps go smoothly, so I guess there are certainly transferrable skills from those. ;)

Tell me more.....

giphy.gif

Tell me more.....

giphy.gif

It was on Facebook years ago (circa. 2011-2013) and honestly I left all the game groups and don't even know if they still exist, so can't look back to throw up examples, but it wasn't entirely dis-similar to how Werewolf is played here (they were big events, really well organised, and you kind of knew they'd run for about a week), just different mechanics to the game structures.

There were competition challenges every day (usually mini-quizzes, and online puzzles) to determine Tribal Immunity/Individual Immunity for Survivor or HeadOfHousehold/PowerOfVeto for Big Brother (have a look at the wikipedia pages for both shows if you're unfamiliar with how those games work), and then it was mostly about alliances, and stabbing people in the back just like in the shows...

We PM'd the Game Mods our confessionals/diary room entries, and were able to ask Mods to open up secret facebook groups for alliance chats. So on the main game thread, the competitions, general chats, tribal councils, and who got voted out, etc. were able to be seen by everyone, but it wasn't until the very end of the game, when the alliance chats and confessionals were published that everyone could see the big picture of what was going on, so at times it could seem like people were making mental moves, but you'd then see post game the reasoning behind it via the secret chats (essentially the same as the wolves chat in the backroom) and get a view of the bigger picture.

I was thinking this morning while looking through the backrooms for Father Ted that it could be adapted to run a game of Survivor or BBUS here or maybe some sort of hybrid of the two... The daily competitions for immunity or whatever could be mini-sheep, and variations of other games we play in FG anyway. I'd need to think of it a bit more and chat to some of the WW gamesmasters who know their sh*t about using backrooms and designing games to see if it could work for us, but they're definitely games I think people round these parts could enjoy. It's always fun, making alliances, stabbing each other in the back, and voting each other out of games, right? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sounds like that sort of game would fit in VERY well around here :D

Have sent you a PM LeVar ;)

Necro wrote: »
    Sounds like that sort of game would fit in VERY well around here :D

Have sent you a PM LeVar ;)

PM received. Looks like its worth moving ahead with developing it anyway. Myself and Necro are on the case... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You should throw it into the brainstorming thread, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would be decent at giving help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Really enjoyed the game.

I feel a vanilla game was best to start back it.

Cheers mods.

#notawolf

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

#notawolf

Not lock clear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Very enjoyable game mods. I liked the simpler nature of it, thought everything ran very smoothly and there wasn't much confusion over mechanics. I also really enjoyed those newspapers.

Sorry I didn't get as into it prior to getting whacked. What did poor Orla ever do to you wolves?

Orla is back as she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Having read the backrooms and the full thread in general, can people live me in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Neowise

Having read the backrooms and the full thread in general, can people live me in future?

Don’t know what you mean by live you, but i didn’t buy that message was accidental for a sec. I questioned why you did it, or were you made to by shaman mech. But overall, thought you played a good game, you were munch target before you got lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought you wanted to work for us wolves :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Neowise wrote: »
    Don’t know what you mean by live you, but i didn’t buy that message was accidental for a sec. I questioned why you did it, or were you made to by shaman mech. But overall, thought you played a good game, you were munch target before you got lynched.

One sane person so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WWF

A tough game to organise and mod with many roles but pulled off excellently by all involved except the tool who should have read the rules and glossary in depth more, auto priest was missed but it was new style of game for me as a player, frustrating at times but enjoyable, well done mods

WWF was excellent. Flavour was top notch and I feel like it was a really well balanced game that allowed almost every player a chance to contribute.

One teeny tiny bit of feedback I'd give is around the competitions. I love a good competition, I think they can really work to keep chat going. This game my total lack of subject knowledge and my slightly awkward timetable gave me a new perspective on comps and it's something I thought I'd mention for future mods. I think BH and Necro did a great job of having a mix of competition types but in most games I've played before I've known a bit about the theme so this isn't something that I've noticed before.

Basically, anytime there was a competition that involved being fastest, the prize was often won before I even had a chance to do some research :pac: So something to keep in mind for future games might be that if comps are going to be theme specific maybe award prizes randomly between correct answers or have more a mix - maybe randomly for daytime comps (when most people work) and fastest for evening comps.

Again, though, great game well executed. Well done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    WWF

A tough game to organise and mod with many roles but pulled off excellently by all involved except the tool who should have read the rules and glossary in depth more, auto priest was missed but it was new style of game for me as a player, frustrating at times but enjoyable, well done mods

Back when I first started playing (I think Buffy was my first game followed by the original WWE game) the priest role seemed to be in most games but apparently it’s only been the auto priest in recent times. Seemed an easy way to mix things up and although I think it caught some players off guard it seemed to go down well due to it being different. Maybe it helped that that role (as well as the bg, seer & vig all) had alternate day versions might have helped with that as the village was more likely to still get the info on the dead at some point.

Edit: I think that’s a fair enough point on the comps especially the backstage ones in the evening even though they intentionally didn’t have as big prizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just want to echo what others have said, was a great game, good numbers and plenty of twists and turns. The balance was spot on tbh.

Regarding priests, I was openly complaining about it on thread I think but it is actually way more fun and dynamic way to play. Role claims are possible and gives wolves a real fighting chance

In recent times wolves haven't been as successful from what I can remember anyway even though games have been well balanced. For a while in this and another games I thought the wolves would walk it only the be reeled in quickly after Tuesday Wednesday. I'd be happy to see it used more often*

*Will still complain about it though:D

Advertisement