Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Met Eireann Rainfall Radar accuracy

Options
  • 16-04-2021 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I wondered what people's experiences are recently of the accuracy of the Met Eireann rainfall radar? I've always found it to be pretty good but today (Friday) it showed rain, sometimes heavy, for west Kerry for the entire afternoon. I was outdoors for the whole time and if 10 drops fell that was the most.

A quick search of posts in the forum showed a few references to similar events in the last few months so I was just curious as to what experiences others have, if this is common etc.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sometimes the rain evaporates before it gets to the surface. The radar is not picking up rainfall at surface level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

I suspect due to the low humidity due to High pressure and recent dry spell a lot of the rain is disappearing in midair. As humidity increases in the coming days though the rainfall the radar shows will be reaching ground level more readily.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It is range is limited to an extent, I've often visited my sister in Collooney in Sligo and its been lashing there (it seems to never stop) with nothing on the radar.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Supercell wrote: »
    It is range is limited to an extent, I've often visited my sister in Collooney in Sligo and its been lashing there (it seems to never stop) with nothing on the radar.

It's probably picking up mountains, not rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

That problem has largely disappeared now they've added the NI radar on the website. Before that the radar was next to useless for us in the NW.

I complained to ME about it years ago, got a response that they'd like another radar to improve coverage but couldn't afford it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I blame a warm sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

lottpaul wrote: »
    I wondered what people's experiences are recently of the accuracy of the Met Eireann rainfall radar? I've always found it to be pretty good but today (Friday) it showed rain, sometimes heavy, for west Kerry for the entire afternoon. I was outdoors for the whole time and if 10 drops fell that was the most.

A quick search of posts in the forum showed a few references to similar events in the last few months so I was just curious as to what experiences others have, if this is common etc.
    Many thanks.

The Friday midday sounding from Valentia shows a deep dry inversion layer under the upper frontal surface (saturated layer from around 700 hPa upwards). Precipitation (snow) falling from that high up would have melted and melted and evaporated through that warm and dry layer.

550594.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Is there any old threads/guides on how to check soundings for your local area and how to interpret it? Cheers.

Advertisement