Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

I see. Would you take it? Hes 37

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Absolutely without even thinking much about it! He's still in his prime, makes no bones about not being 100% happy in GB, and is from an hour up the road in Chico. Finally the home boy comes back after getting stiffed in the draft in 2005. Niners are Superbowl ready, so is Rodgers. As the Cohn's said he does come with baggage! Worth watching on Youtube to see what if scenarios!! Whoever we take at no.3 is going to be a risk. Rodgers isn't.
    Then I would have also taken Tom Brady last year!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What' all this about? Does anyone have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

packers fan here, come in peace. The problem in GB is that you have a pair of alpha males who won't back down. Rodgers wants to retire in GB and play as long as he wants and be paid, then in the other corner you have a GM who felt that Rodgers was on the way out(after a couple of poor seasons by his standards) and draft a project QB that will be ready to step in a couple of years but Rodgers had a MVP season and is looking for an extension with more money and the GM wants to have a year to year wait and see approach as his afraid he would be made look foolish cause he wasted a pick on Jordan Love. Its poor torture listening to the media making wild speculation, personally, i think Rodgers and Green Bay will see out his existing contract and go there separate ways after that but if they extend the contract i would be over the moon.
    Mel Kiper did his mock draft and has ye picking Mac Jones, Adrian522 will be delighted.

• Advertisement

@cosatron - nice to hear from the GB side. All I hear/listen to indepth is Niner stuff in the offseason! As much as Rodgers to the Niners (any year) would be good, aint gonna happen once we draft a QB at 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There is no intel or source or reasoning behind anything he says, he's just flinging mud at a wall.

Rodgers is 38. And the 49ers are going to give up what 3 firsts, a third and JG (which is at least a 2nd ) for him?

And this automatically = super bowl wins? How? He has one precisely one super bowl his entire career.

It would be a pass from me on that deal to be honest. They'd be back looking for a QB in 2 or 3 years time.

@cosatron I read a lot of mock drafts, all the Jones to SF is based on a few people speculating that Shanahan wants a carbon copy of Kirk Cousins, it doesn't make sense to me, hence by bet on Fields to SF. They almost always say, I don't agree with this but...or whatever. None of them know what Shanahan will do, he's told no one and we recently saw Schefter row back on his comments around Jones, so I think it's still up in the air.
    To me Fields makes the most sense. Jones is not enough of an upgrade over JG for a trade like that.

adrian522 wrote: »
    They'd be back looking for a QB in 2 or 3 years time.

with reduced draft picks to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Grant Cohn = igonre.

This was my first thought when I saw the name. The biggest hot take merchant out there

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This was my first thought when I saw the name. The biggest hot take merchant out there

Right now he'll say anything to get clicks...and its easy with all the speculation!

Probably the most we'll see of the Fields workout.

https://twitter.com/NBCS49ers/status/1382405210929127424?s=20

I'm convinced!

ok, ok thats nice. Some good throws.

Fields gone to favourite now, from +225 a few days ago to -120. I don't think it says much at all, the markets were so wrong on Stafford - it doesnt take much to move them.

Hype was always likely to shift as soon as Field's pro day happened and NFL folk got to see the 49ers watching him - Lance will get a bump next week.

I doubt anyone knows more about who Kyle will pick today than they did yesterday but the quote from the division rival says it all. It sounds like they're all praying for Jones to be the pick.

Fields gone to favourite now, from +225 a few days ago to -120. I don't think it says much at all, the markets were so wrong on Stafford - it doesnt take much to move them.

Hype was always likely to shift as soon as Field's pro day happened and NFL folk got to see the 49ers watching him - Lance will get a bump next week.

I doubt anyone knows more about who Kyle will pick today than they did yesterday but the quote from the division rival says it all. It sounds like they're all praying for Jones to be the pick.

Yeah, it's all one big echo chamber at the moment.

So someone went digging into Mac Jone's sister's tweets and found this with him tagged to it (an account that has since been scrubbed) :eek:

Always tough to brand a player for actions when they were a young teenager but add this to the DUI and it is not a good look - especially if they end up picking him over what many, including most believe are far superior black players.

Presume it won't last long before getting deleted shortly.

https://twitter.com/sarahjaaneyy/status/263447691110010880?s=20

So someone went digging into Mac Jone's sister's tweets and found this with him tagged to it (an account that has since been scrubbed) :eek:

Always tough to brand a player for actions when they were a young teenager but add this to the DUI and it is not a good look - especially if they end up picking him over what many, including most believe are far superior black players.

Presume it won't last long before getting deleted shortly.

https://twitter.com/sarahjaaneyy/status/263447691110010880?s=20

Link wont open for me but it doesnt matter, DUI - no thanks for me.

And whats the angle with mentioning race? Rueben Foster mean anything?

Link wont open for me but it doesnt matter, DUI - no thanks for me.

And whats the angle with mentioning race? Rueben Foster mean anything?

The reason why I mentioned it was because the photo his sister tagged him isn't far off blackface - someone in a giant Obama mask with a sash saying 'Nobama'.

No way to say it was McCorkle for definite but by his sister specifically tagging only him if it wasnt then she felt he would really, really enjoy the picture.

As I said, it isn't something that should get him blacklisted but it is just another bit of baggage and reason why the pick would leave a bad taste for fans and likely players.

• Advertisement

I'd say Bosa had some fairly problematic posts before he scrubbed everything too. I wouldn't like to see them draft Jones but this post wouldn't be the main reason depending on what he says about it obviously.

I'd say Bosa had some fairly problematic posts before he scrubbed everything too. I wouldn't like to see them draft Jones but this post wouldn't be the main reason depending on what he says about it obviously.

I was on the record here about being unsettled by some of Bosa's stuff and it wasn't as bad as that picture. Complete different situation though with a DL guy who was head and shoulders above his peers talent wise and this situation.

Definitely not close to the main reason reason I'm against the potential pick but it another reason to add to the list.

The reason why I mentioned it was because the photo his sister tagged him isn't far off blackface - someone in a giant Obama mask with a sash saying 'Nobama'.

No way to say it was McCorkle for definite but by his sister specifically tagging only him if it wasnt then she felt he would really, really enjoy the picture.

As I said, it isn't something that should get him blacklisted but it is just another bit of baggage and reason why the pick would leave a bad taste for fans and likely players.

So we dont know if hes even in the picture? Whoever did that trawl was really getting desperate. Still, DUI and the 49ers is a no no from me

So we dont know if hes even in the picture? Whoever did that trawl was really getting desperate. Still, DUI and the 49ers is a no no from me

I wouldn't say desperate at all, it is a standard practice for every big name draft prospect since social media became a thing. The reason why the 49ers even ended up with this pick is because Tunsil fell to the Dolphins due to the infamous gas mask video.

The bigger surprise is that Jones' team did such a poor job of scrubbing it - especially when it appears they went the lazy nuclear route on his old account, all they had to do was search his mentions.

Get ready for the Lance hype this week - his second pro day is today and apparently the 49ers have again designed a decent amount of it

https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/1383961191353966601?s=20

One week to go...not much more to say/see!
    Who do you think they pick, who you hope they pick, round 1 of course?
    Me...Lance & Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

myate wrote: »
    One week to go...not much more to say/see!
    Who do you think they pick, who you hope they pick, round 1 of course?
    Me...Lance & Lance.

The niners have the attention of the NFL world because picks 1 and 2 seem locked in and what the niners do at 3 will influence what other teams do and despite saying they don’t need to hide anymore or whatever the actual phrase was, they are throwing up some smoke screens. I mean you don’t move up to no 3 to fix some need that you can get in the later rounds.

I like fields.

I'm not sure they are throwing up smokescreens they just haven't said or leaked who they are taking. I hope it's Justin Fields I think he's the best prospect of the 3, I'd understand Lance but think he has the most bust potential (though maybe also the highest ceiling). Really hope they haven't given up all those picks for Jones.

• Advertisement

Also, this would cause twitter to have a full blown meltdown:

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1385283829292834816

Advertisement