Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frank of Ireland - CH4 10pm All episodes on All4

• 01-04-2021 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭

Starts on C4 on the 15th of April. Has a pretty impressive cast and looks quite funny

Comments

has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Start tonight at 10, as far as I know the entire series is then available directly afterwards on All4 and Non Irish accounts of Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Those Gleeson boys have a bit of talent wherever they got it from and add in Sarah Greene that's a nice little cast put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

New Irish sitcom starting tonight? Brian and Domhnall Gleeson write and star.

Looks ok in the ads.
    Brothers Brian and Domhnall Gleeson co-write and star in this offbeat comedy about best friends Frank (Brian) and Doofus (Domhnall) navigating single life in Dublin. In this opening episode, musician Frank discovers his ex-girlfriend Áine (Sarah Greene) has a new man – who happens to be an expert in mixed martial arts – and in an effort to impress her, decides to try his luck fighting in the cage. He then gets a gig singing at her grandmother’s wake, despite having not written a new song or performed in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Will give this a go. What was the name of that comedy from about 3 or 4 years ago about a Dublin family which bbc showed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Watching, tis.. meh to be honest.
    Will see where it goes but at the moment, not a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It looked so bad in the ads, this kind of Irish comedy just doesn't work on me, I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of Young Offenders either, just awful.

Had been looking forward to this from the ads but it’s awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I can't rate Domhnall Gleeson as a actor at all, anything I've seen him he wears the same expression of sucking on a lemon..... he was good in the Revenant I'd give him that (still looked like he was sucking a lemon but hay ho)

Have never seen much of his brother apart from Love/hate but he looks alot like his ol man which is a plus ....

From what I've seen this looks **** tbh

Yeah, I didn't think it was great but will watch another couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Xander10

Well I was hoping, but that was awful juvenile sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Did exactly what it said on the tin.
    Good cast and a bit of a laugh, people here take themselves too seriously, watch a few edgy box sets based on water cooler chats and think they are f*ckin television critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I had seen a bit of the 7 o clock show earlier on bbc and Jimmy Car was one of the quests and he recommended this.

Just watched the first episode and found it funny, the brothers are terrible in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, I’d agree with the general consensus here, it was awful. Very disappointing, as I’m a fan of both Gleesons. This was very poor though. Extra minus points for Pat Short too. Don’t think I’ll be tuning in again.

Did exactly what it said on the tin.
    Good cast and a bit of a laugh, people here take themselves too seriously, watch a few edgy box sets based on water cooler chats and think they are f*ckin television critics.

Ah come on. You saying everyone has to enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Super cast.

However they are ending their careers with this pile of ****e. There wasn't a single laugh in the whole thing. Script is dreadful. Storyline is incomprehensible and not in a comic way. The low point was either a naked Pat Shortt or the really unfunny funeral scene.

If a college film class submitted this as an assignment they would fail. Every single one of them. Acting. Script. Lighting. Cinematography. Sound, Music. Every one them. Out of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll give it another go. Comedy's are very tricky to judge on first episode. Cheers debut was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i thought it was brilliant. and these kinds of comedies only get better. father ted wasnt liked initially. very funny

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was wondering at the start but I was laughing towards the end....will give it another cracking next week.

M

Wasn't a strong opener, will give it another few, could have potential.

Was nice to see a few familiar areas of North Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'll admit it, I laughed a few times despite the stupidity. I'll watch more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I'm shocked by how bad this was. Just incredibly awful.

Did it get commissioned because the Gleeson brothers wrote it and were in it? It can't have been on the basis of the script.

Just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

funny to see nidge from love/hate in it. its a hard life in acting. 10 years ago everyone wanted to be him. but now....

M

Watched 2nd episode, not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's a bit frantic and a bit all over the place but thought it was very funny, miles ahead of The Young Offenders

Comedy is such a subjective thing.
    I started watching with an open mind, hoping to enjoy it, but prepared to not.

Yes, it's stupid, juvenile humour - but I like that - I think they pull it off. It works. It's fun.

Btw, I don't think it's fair to state that a comedy is 'sh*t' just because you don't like it - I can't understand how anyone enjoys Mrs. brown's Boy's, but who am I to say it's 'sh*t@? We don't all like/get the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I am in the it was terrible camp, that's just my opinion but sure isn't that what we are giving, I don't see the reason why some are being so defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I can't rate Domhnall Gleeson as a actor at all, anything I've seen him he wears the same expression of sucking on a lemon..... he was good in the Revenant I'd give him that (still looked like he was sucking a lemon but hay ho)

he was good in american made outdid Tom Cruise in some scenes,

but this (so far) is shockin sh1te...paddywhackery on steroids - if this was made & starring english actors we'd say it's offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

From the trailer looks like its being marketed to the yanks. The oversaturation of the streaming thing is going to crash hard, it will be like Italian TV in no time.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I thought some of the comedy gags were well delivered and witty. The storyline however just seemed manic and all over the place. The writing needs a lot more work and the structure simplified. The Gleeson brothers under delivered enormously.

A couple of American words slipped in (sidewalk was one) made me wonder if it was Americanised alright.

Advertisement