Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Gun owners in house

• 15-04-2021 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

If two gun owners are in the same house and they both have a shotgun each, can both people keep their guns in separate rooms or do all guns regardless of the owner need to be kept in the same place?. I'm Planning to put a gun safe in my room and another in a different person's room. Also, do the rules change say if I had 2 guns and the other person had 2 and what about ammunition storage as well?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The law requires each person to store their own firearms out of reach from anyone not licensed on them so your plan for two safes is the proper and best one.

As for amount of guns, as long as each gun is stored in the safe of the person that is licensed to it you're grand. Just make sure the other person has no access to your guns and vice versa.

Ammo needs to be kept secured. A locked receptacle or a separate gun safe, for each of ye, is the way to go. The lock box would be the cheaper option.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 27 justbehindit

If two gun owners are in the same house and they both have a shotgun each, can both people keep their guns in separate rooms or do all guns regardless of the owner need to be kept in the same place?. I'm Planning to put a gun safe in my room and another in a different person's room. Also, do the rules change say if I had 2 guns and the other person had 2 and what about ammunition storage as well?

I would say don't think about it in terms of people, think about it in terms of how many firearms are registered to that specific address. No problem in keeping them in separate rooms although since it's over one shot gun you will need two safes, but you've already said that's your plan. Personally I have a separate ammo safe but as far as I know they are not necessary. I'd say have a look at the link below, it lays out the minimum security for differing amount of firearms:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/307/made/en/print

Well never mind Cass beat me to it. Fair play haha

Also, do the rules change say if I had 2 guns and the other person had 2 and what about ammunition storage as well?

Just on this point.

Keeping the guns separate is one thing, but when it comes to total amount of firearms in the one house you need to consider the secure storage si. So while the two of ye may have only two guns each, there are four in the house which means a higher level of security for the home.

Justbehinit has linked to the SI so be aware of how many guns in total are in the house and make sure you adhere to that level of home security, which in your case would be slightly different to the individual security for each of ye.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Cass wrote: »
    The law requires each person to store their own firearms out of reach from anyone not licensed on them so your plan for two safes is the proper and best one.

Interesting Cass, I don't know a single firearm owner who lives with other firearms owners who store their firearms separately.
    One was even told to keep them stored together by a super at interview.

Could you point me towards the legislation that specifies that firearms in the same house licenced to different individuals must be kept separately?

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Paddy Mc Ginn

My home has a monitored alarm system, cameras, high walls around it and has locks on the doors where the guns will be stored. Is this enough security to have 4 guns in the house?

• Advertisement

Sounds like enough to cover you for level 4, the highest, so essentially you golden for as many firearm as you like. However that is only my opinion, its the FO that will have the final say.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    Interesting Cass, I don't know a single firearm owner who lives with other firearms owners who store their firearms separately.
    Technically a trigger guard would cover the only you have access requirement.
    I would say don't think about it in terms of people, think about it in terms of how many firearms are registered to that specific address.

Technically the law counts it per the number of firearms registered to the person, not the address.
    But in a practical sense, I person would agree with the above, and I imagine many FOs would. So not an argument worth having imo.

Advertisement