Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Old Days on RTE

• 15-04-2021 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Reminiscing. Care to share memories?

Maurice O'Doherty reading the news.
    Paddy Gallagher's Folio.
    Caroline Erskine.
    Charles Mitchell making a dog's dinner speaking Irish.
    Andy O'Mahoney. The very best no matter what he did.
    Liam O 'Morchu Trom agus Eadtrom. He tried to jazz up Irish. A well read broadcaster who had entertaining evening radio slot too.
    Mike Murphy morning radio programme. Yousa Yousa etc.
    Mart and Market. Michael Dillon. Brother of writer Eilish.
    Brendan O'Reilly. The early version of Des Cahill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭gipi

Michael Gilligan the weather forecaster - "wet and windy"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Emer O'Kelly had a very posh accent reading the news as I recall. Frank Delaney had good book programme.
    Handball from Croke Park. Pat Kirby.
    Sports Stadium.
    There was a year i think when Rte had live first division football. I remember Derby being great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Don Coburn reading the news ( too young to remember Charles Mitchell )

Brian Farell presenting Today Tonight

cross channel soccer results taking about a half hour to read out on saturday evening as they devoted as much time to the scottish third division as the english first division

Pats chat , pat ingelsby sitting amongst children listening to them say whatever they wished , eccentric men with unconventional dress sense would be unlikely to front a show like that today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Garda Patrol and Mart and Market - Wednesday wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Not all that old, but I miss Pat Kenny's Late Late Show debates. Nowadays, debates on Prime Time are vapid.

John's Bowman's Questions and Answers is also much missed. A controversial opinion, perhaps, but Vincent Browne's equivalent was a dreary mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Premier League been shown on a Saturday, but delayed by 30minutes. It was a case of staying away from Aertel/Ceefax for any latest scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Radio closedown at 1am. Or was it 2?

Two rounds of O'Donnell Abú when they started up again in the morning - and not the tinny elevator version they have now :(

Michael Murphy (he who was roundly abused for doing a dreams segment on some programme recently in his new capacity as psychotherapist) being voted newsreader of the year by the deaf community - despite having a full beard and moustache!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Late Late Show, when it actually mattered.

Radharc, the film propaganda wing of the church.

Mart and Market I think was on Wednesday 7:50-8 pm.
    Maurice and Coburn and someone else ? A Colm soneone? A newsreader.too at any rate. I think one or all of them left under a cloud. One went to live in France i think. Have a hazy memory of that.
    I remenber Mick Dunne - a dreadful GAA commentator. One if the worst.
    The sponsored programmes on radio after thev1pm news. And (again diverting to radio for a moment) Maureen potter on Sunday lunchtime. CHRISTY!!!
    Philip Green's infamous soccer commentery against Russia. 'They've scored! The ....... Russians have scored.

An Irish language police detective series called O'Duill. (Spelling probably wrong).
    The Spike.
    Tolka Row.
    Batty Brennan and making whiskey.
    Soccer on Thursday night 8-9. English football. First Division fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Can just about remember Charles Mitchell. Vague memories of the Riordans, it ended when I was five

Barney Johnson, presented a gardening programme simply called the Garden which my Nan would watch. He died unexpectedly, think he was about 50.

• Advertisement

And there was a cooking programne with Monica Sheridan.
    The Forsythe Saga. Soames and the beautiful Irenee.
    Don't forget the frujt gums mum.
    The Virginian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

Some of the ads were a photograph of a shop/premises with a voice telling you where it is rather than actual video.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Barney Johnson, presented a gardening programme simply called the Garden which my Nan would watch. He died unexpectedly, think he was about 50.

Barney Johnson.....that brings back exactly the same memories for me. Just looked him up and saw that Colin Stafford-Johnson is his son! The lad that does all of the wildlife photography. I had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Epilogue - last program of the evening, a reading by some priest, if I remember correctly, to dispel any naughty thoughts before bedtime.
    Followed by the National Anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Quicksilver and Bunny Carr
    Wanderly Wagon
    Bosco, god I hated him!
    Having a big argument with my granny who wanted to watch the pope in the Phoenix Park when I wanted to watch cartoons.

It was mostly sh1te on RTE in the old days from what I remember. The Riordans might have been good, but I was only a child when it was on.

furiousox wrote: »
    Some of the ads were a photograph of a shop/premises with a voice telling you where it is rather than actual video.

Yeah, the ones that consisted of a still image and voiceover. Typically theyd be shown in a block towards the end of the commercial break after the regular full length ads. They seemed to phase them out circa 89/90.

Some good examples here, the droll voiceovers are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Us Dublin city boys in the 70's and 80s knowing about hoose, scour and sarcoptic mange mites. We even heard about Marts.

Those days are gone.

Today Tonight.fronted by the Dicky bow man
    Enniskillen bombing program noteworthy. The presenter ended the program with the hope that there would be no retaliation.
    Next day, a catholic in a video store had been shot dead as revenge.

Prime Time is better. Still open to abuse by TDs trying to push their own ego. That's why I've no respect for Labour, well the democratic left side.

Late Late show. Gay Byrne telling sozzled guest "your drunk"
    Gay Byrne interviewing Dice Man.
    Oh, Gay Byrne interviewing author of Forbidden afruit. And his parting shot

Anyone remember a programme about learning Irish from the early 80s called Anois Is Aris? It had a lot of what could be termed comedy sketches, Frank Kelly was in most of these.

Anyway one in particular sticks in my memory. It was a guy hanging in chains in a cell and a torturer (kelly I think) would show him pictures of various politicians and celebrities and ask "anseo?" to which yer man gave the right answers except for the end where he gave the wrong answer for JR from Dallas and the torturer fella starts flogging him with a whip and yer man roaring his head off. My mother was mortified at this and turned it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Anyone remember a programme about learning Irish from the early 80s called Anois Is Aris? It had a lot of what could be termed comedy sketches, Frank Kelly was in most of these.

Anyway one in particular sticks in my memory. It was a guy hanging in chains in a cell and a torturer (kelly I think) would show him pictures of various politicians and celebrities and ask "anseo?" to which yer man gave the right answers except for the end where he gave the wrong answer for JR from Dallas and the torturer fella starts flogging him with a whip and yer man roaring his head off. My mother was mortified at this and turned it off.

That clip was on something recently would you believe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

bobbyss wrote: »

So he ate on air and sounded like he’d a bad head cold and had one area of knowledge ?

Murphy's micro quiz em

Format of show

3 competing families
    2 families would win a dragon 32 later upgraded to zx spectrum 48k rubber keyboard
    1 family gets a shot at winning car
    The final 5 questions to win the car could be quite hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

bobbyss wrote: »

Maurice O'Doherty reading the news.
    Paddy Gallagher's Folio.
    Caroline Erskine.
    Charles Mitchell making a dog's dinner speaking Irish.
    Andy O'Mahoney. The very best no matter what he did.
    Liam O 'Morchu Trom agus Eadtrom. He tried to jazz up Irish. A well read broadcaster who had entertaining evening radio slot too.
    Mike Murphy morning radio programme. Yousa Yousa etc.
    Mart and Market. Michael Dillon. Brother of writer Eilish.

Also known as Cowjak because of the bald head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Thelma Mansfield and Mairin de Barra (sp?) who use to come on before the programs started.

Anything Goes on Saturday morning or Youngline on in the afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I think its safe to say that RTE never had a golden era, the odd blast of brilliance ,but mostly crap.

The Today Tonight special on video nasties. A clip from Zombie Flesheaters was shown with the title credits and TT theme playing over it, quite surreal.

Garda Patrol and the old theme tune that sounded like someone banging an oil drum.

Arthur Murphys Mailbag, people writing in complaining things like some actress from Dallas on the cover of the RTE Guide showing too much cleavage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

How many of ye young 'uns remember 7 Days, pre-cursor to Today Tonight, or Feach? Folio, a late-night arts program. Halls Pictorial Weekly, introduced satire to an unsuspecting Ireland. Mike Murphy presenting Murphy's America and Murphy's Australia. The Invisible Man (David McCallum), Gemini Man, Man From Atlantis. The Good Old Days with Leonard Sachs. Landmark, (Ear To The Ground for grown-ups). Hawaii Five-O with the great Jack Lord. Cross Country Quiz featuring teams GAA-like from different counties, hosted by Liam Devally who went on to become a judge. The days when the weather forecast after the news consisted of 4 chart-pictures stuck on the wall with the presenter pointing to them with a ruler.

MfMan wrote: »
    How many of ye young 'uns remember 7 Days, pre-cursor to Today Tonight, or Feach? Folio, a late-night arts program. Halls Pictorial Weekly, introduced satire to an unsuspecting Ireland. Mike Murphy presenting Murphy's America and Murphy's Australia. The Invisible Man (David McCallum), Gemini Man, Man From Atlantis. The Good Old Days with Leonard Sachs. Landmark, (Ear To The Ground for grown-ups). Hawaii Five-O with the great Jack Lord. Cross Country Quiz featuring teams GAA-like from different counties, hosted by Liam Devally who went on to become a judge.

Remember all with the exception of 7 Days, just that bit before my time.

Speaking of Landmark it gets a mention here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In it's early period RTE 2 came on air at 7 PM with Coronation Street every night for the first year or so as they started back in about 1974. Not sure why they went back so far. Of course the irony is that now Corrie is on practically every night.

The Spike! Never shown in full - nor was your wan who was naked but the Bishops had a canary and the Dail was in outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

MT-USA with Fab Vinnie. Watch it on your Telly and tune in on your Radio to hear it in Stereo.
    Play the Game, with Twink treating it as Life-or-Death.
    The Irish Masters Snooker live from Goff's. Aonghas McAnally's commentating was dire..... but he once played a game of Snooker, so he was the RTE Expert.

Advertisement