Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

One would have to surmise a lot of time taken to ‘explore’ what should be, in my opinion a fairly run of the mill ‘inquiry’. ??

That depends on how many factors have occurred to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

First Up wrote: »
    You would cover half the distance from St Gerard's to the Beacon on the M50 in the time it would take to find another school (and someone to talk to.)

The Beacon's actions will be fully explored, including any mitigating circumstances. I hope the HSE's are too. When both are done, we will know what happened - and why.

If this isn't corruption then we'll have to redefine what the word corruption means because nothing will be corruption anymore.

I would also note that, according to the teacher source, most of the teachers were already at home, so it took even longer to get the people together and get them to the hospital. I'm sure Mr. McCague is on it tho!

astrofool wrote:
    If this isn't corruption then we'll have to redefine what the word corruption means because nothing will be corruption anymore.
    Yes, you've told us what you think. Let's wait for (all) the facts.
    astrofool wrote:
    I would also note that, according to the teacher source, most of the teachers were already at home, so it took even longer to get the people together and get them to the hospital. I'm sure Mr. McCague is on it tho!

Do you think the Beacon should have had the home and mobile numbers of all the teachers in all the schools closer than St Gerard's?

Yes, you've told us what you think. Let's wait for (all) the facts.

Do you think the Beacon should have had the home and mobile numbers of all the teachers in all the schools closer than St Gerard's?

The Beacon shouldn't have needed any teachers numbers because they shouldn't have been ringing teachers.

If the Beacon did need to contact a school for another reason, all schools have phone numbers to ring directly, just as they rang through to the junior school and got the junior principal in this case, who then contacted the senior principal, and then the principals contacted the teachers one by one.

Seems an awfully stupidly slow way to get 20 people together, doesn't it?

astrofool wrote:

Neither of us are in a position to form an informed view of that or anything else.

But that horse has been flogged enough already. I'll wait for McCague's findings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

astrofool wrote: »

Well it was ultimately successful so it would seem not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Neither of us are in a position to form an informed view of that or anything else.

But that horse has been flogged enough already. I'll wait for McCague's findings.

When will that be. Indefinite I suppose. I don't recall a time being given.

You might be waiting a while :pac:

When will that be. Indefinite I suppose. I don't recall a time being given.

You might be waiting a while :pac:

If they have any sense they will string it out let a few more scandals emerge and let the faux outrage die down.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Well it was ultimately successful so it would seem not.

Hence why most people don't believe that time was of the essence, if time was of the essence there is multiple other ways of getting 20 people together faster. Most people believe that Michael Cullen was acting corruptly in ringing his childs school and used the pretense of time pressure as an excuse to give vaccines to people who knew rather than people most at risk of dying from COVID-19. Which makes his behavior particularly abhorrent as he is being trusted to run a hospital. The only hope of which is that this incident is keeping him as far away from patient care as possible as it's clear he doesn't value their lives above buddies of his.

Hence why most people don't believe that time was of the essence, if time was of the essence there is multiple other ways of getting 20 people together faster. Most people believe that Michael Cullen was acting corruptly in ringing his childs school and used the pretense of time pressure as an excuse to give vaccines to people who knew rather than people most at risk of dying from COVID-19. Which makes his behavior particularly abhorrent as he is being trusted to run a hospital. The only hope of which is that this incident is keeping him as far away from patient care as possible as it's clear he doesn't value their lives above buddies of his.

If I was you I’d speak for yourself not most people. And the people trusting him to run the hospital are the owners so it’s up to them as to what happens regarding his ‘behaviour’.

• Advertisement

If I was you I’d speak for yourself not most people.

Feel free to run a poll, but responses on this thread are pretty much one way traffic.

Feel free to run a poll, but responses on this thread are pretty much one way traffic.

Certainly has that liveline phone in feel to it alright

Shocking joe

Are we still not allowed to mention accredited grades? A.K.A teacher who got the vaccine grades?

Are we still not allowed to mention accredited grades? A.K.A teacher who got the vaccine grades?

Did the stalker not give the ages of the kids earlier in the thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Mention away but if I got the vaccine, it wouldnt have made a difference to how I would grade their kids papers and I am sure most if not all the teachers would be the same. Reminds me when I was nursing when a consultants family member would come in and there would be hushed whispers of "that's X's relative". So what, everyone gets treated the same.

What it does do is taint the grade they do get, beause everyone will assume it is because of the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Did the stalker not give the ages of the kids earlier in the thread ?

Nope!!!!

But the average age for leaving cert is 18/19 so not underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Treppen

Nope!!!!

But the average age for leaving cert is 18/19 so not underage.

Yup!!! they had it pretty much figured out and info openly on the net. Not a LC going by their reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think they should certainly have had a contingency plan ready to go, with no need for a mad panic and strange phone calls to CEO's favourite school.

khalessi wrote: »
    Mention away but if I got the vaccine, it wouldnt have made a difference to how I would grade their kids papers and I am sure most if not all the teachers would be the same. Reminds me when I was nursing when a consultants family member would come in and there would be hushed whispers of "that's X's relative". So what, everyone gets treated the same.

What it does do is taint the grade they do get, beause everyone will assume it is because of the vaccine.

Fair play. I don't doubt it. There are good teachers despite the media.

Although this kind of situation has never occurred due to attributable grading.

Likely the tip of the iceberg. If I'm not mistaken the private schools were unfairly treated last time around. By that I meant that the private tution up the exam wasn't factored into the model.

Pissed off a lot of well to do daddys. Best way to deal with that is to not have to deal wit h it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Certainly has that liveline phone in feel to it alright

Shocking joe

Nobody is on the switchboard choosing which replies to post though, so if the responses are all one-way, it's because that's how that vast majority of people on this site (and any others I've seen) feel about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Coronavirus outbreak at Bray school in Beacon Hospital vaccine controversy https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/coronavirus-outbreak-at-bray-school-in-beacon-hospital-vaccine-controversy-1.4549995

I see people saying online the tension in the staff room must be even higher! but would they? if these people hadn't got vaccinated even more might have gotten sick, not that justifies what the CEO of the Beacon and his staff did.

Huge amount of outbreaks in schools this week one school 23 cases another 20 mad stuff

Coronavirus outbreak at Bray school in Beacon Hospital vaccine controversy https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/coronavirus-outbreak-at-bray-school-in-beacon-hospital-vaccine-controversy-1.4549995

I see people saying online the tension in the staff room must be even higher! but would they? if these people hadn't got vaccinated even more might have gotten sick, not that justifies what the CEO of the Beacon and his staff did.

I wonder what criteria did the principal use to pick the 20 teachers?

I'd be ok with a colleague not getting it, but not being called because I wasn't part of the Principal's favourites would annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭paulski999

Has any of the reports from the Beacon and HSE been released?

Has been about a month now, couple of phone calls / Zoom meetings would have sorted out the series of events, but then again this is Ireland of the Mahon Tribunals…..

At least the teachers / staff who have now contracted COVID have a clear enough conscience �� and can say I didn’t get a #jabfortheboys

paulski999 wrote: »

Has been about a month now, couple of phone calls / Zoom meetings would have sorted out the series of events, but then again this is Ireland of the Mahon Tribunals…..

At least the teachers / staff who have now contracted COVID have a clear enough conscience �� and can say I didn’t get a #jabfortheboys

If that was me I would be annoyed that Dept are aware of the cases in schools and nothing done. Catching Covid leaves them open to catching Long Covid. The Dept have been shameful in their mismanagement of schools

• Registered Users Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

paulski999 wrote: »

Tactics seem to be working........sit tight, say nothing, it will all go away, let the juice drain out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 padraig47

Wait for Leaving results. Will teachers who got jab be monitored for grades given to children of Beacon staff ? A potential scandal brewing there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

padraig47 wrote:
    Wait for Leaving results. Will teachers who got jab be monitored for grades given to children of Beacon staff ? A potential scandal brewing there

Ah its gone away, we probably won't hear of this again

padraig47 wrote: »

It was only one beacon staff member, as far as media reports say.
    And even at that his kids weren't in LC year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

This seems to be taking a very long time - no?

Remember that at the time of this incident, per reporting by RTE et al, Michael was redirecting life-saving vaccines to his personal network. There's been no mention of this investigation since then by our intrepid reporters other than a recent article in the IT which laid the foundations for a verdict that would split the blame between HSE and Beacon. So it looks like Michael, whose sister Pauline also works at Beacon Clinic, will laugh onwards to another day.

Meanwhile over on RTE, 1 Ryan Tubridy last week had a long interview with Ann Marie Cullen, Michael's other sister, about her new music album and her struggles with coming out as a lesbian in later life. Just another microcosm of how our country is run...

Advertisement