Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And there she shall remain as isn't the owner looking for mad money for her...... because he knows how famous she is on these shores....

They'd rather let her rot away and eventually be scrapped, than actually see her restored to her former glory....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

she looks in a very bad state now compared to photos of her in a bad way a few years ago. big black patches of rot on the hull and at the hull/deck joint. rig looks wrecked to and paints come off it

I'm amazed she's still afloat.....

My goodness the sea is looking particularly lovely today!!!!

I know it won’t be as nice at the weekend, but hope it’s just nice enough to get out on the water....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My goodness the sea is looking particularly lovely today!!!!

I know it won’t be as nice at the weekend, but hope it’s just nice enough to get out on the water....

Oh stop :(

We sold our boat a couple of years ago and I've regretted it every single day since this ****show started :(

• Advertisement

Managed to get out on the water on 6 separate occasions last season!! combination of restrictions/shorter season, crap weather, and the family not being as enthusiastic as me!! Furthest we got was a day trip to Dun Laoghaire..

Really hoping to get out some more this year given a foreign or even an Irish holiday will most likely not happen, as we still don't know how much longer this is all going to drone on for... we spent a week on the Shannon last summer which was decent enough, but the weather was crap! (August bank holiday weekend, and supposedly the weather in Dublin was amazing all that week!!!).

I think the best we could maybe hope for would be an overnight here or there along the East Coast, but just need the weather to play its part!! Its no fun for the newbies if the weather is awful.

Well. If you ever want company for a spin, in any weather at all, I'm available!! :D:D

(I'm saying that to literally anyone who even looks like they might mention a boat in conversation!)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well. If you ever want company for a spin, in any weather at all, I'm available!! :D:D

(I'm saying that to literally anyone who even looks like they might mention a boat in conversation!)

If you've been vaccinated, and know someone, like a 'ahem' CEO of somewhere that could get me and mine vaccinated, then sure, all aboard!!!!!

I think the best we could maybe hope for would be an overnight here or there along the East Coast, but just need the weather to play its part!! Its no fun for the newbies if the weather is awful.

At least theres a few places on the East coast North & South of the border you can get to and tie up in a marina.

neris wrote: »
    At least theres a few places on the East coast North & South of the border you can get to and tie up in a marina.

Thats it, You've got Arklow, Greystones, DL, and then up North, Carlingford and perhaps around to Ardglass

I really want to get back to Carlingford at some stage. We did it years ago on my dads boat, in a flotilla of about 15 boats from Poolbeg, and really want to do it again.. The scenery in the Lough is amazing.

I'd want to be timing it right though.. arriving at the entrance just after low water perhaps? to get the flood up the lough..

• Advertisement

Thats it, You've got Arklow, Greystones, DL, and then up North, Carlingford and perhaps around to Ardglass

I really want to get back to Carlingford at some stage. We did it years ago on my dads boat, in a flotilla of about 15 boats from Poolbeg, and really want to do it again.. The scenery in the Lough is amazing.

I'd want to be timing it right though.. arriving at the entrance just after low water perhaps? to get the flood up the lough..

Bangor up North to also hops along easy coast and onto dunmore and Waterford. Only problem in dunmore is its a pontoon and rafting

If I was heading for Waterford, I'd probably want to stop in Kilmore Quay, and try and make Waterford from there.. tides being a big factor.

wouldn't be so much fun rafting with a 6yo!!
    I'll happily pay the premium for the convenience of a marina..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The spin up the river to Waterford is a lovely sail, plenty of interesting stuff to see on the way, you definitely need to have your tides right though unless you like going backwards!
    I was there a few years ago, just chatting to the chap on the boat behind me before I headed up the town for a bite to eat, we saw a chap sailing solo struggling a little bit current wise while arranging his lines (a few big last second go arounds), so we gave him a hand to get a line onto the pontoon, then move to where he wanted to go. He seemed a bit unsteady on his feet so, I initially though he had had a couple but it turned out that he was just knackered, he had sailed straight from near Falmouth in one hop, his autopilot had failed a couple of hours out and he had tried rigging something using bungees and his jib sheets that he dimly remembered reading about, but it wasn't enough, especially with the high traffic areas that he had to pass through, weather got a bit adverse and he was getting headed a lot, so he put the head down and went into complete zombie mode just getting through the next few minutes with no rest, I was making him some coffee and asked why he didn't just pop into Kilmore Quay get some rest and continue from there, he just looked at me blankly for a few seconds and told me in a slightly shocked voice that he was so tired and focused on getting here minute by minute that he completely forgot that Kilmore was there!
    Just goes to show what fatigue can do even to an experienced sailor!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There is a decent marina in New Ross too. Would love to sail up there someday.

There is a swing bridge at Cheekpoint to get through on the way, but apparently it will open for any vessel with some advance notice.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    There is a decent marina in New Ross too. Would love to sail up there someday.

There is a swing bridge at Cheekpoint to get through on the way, but apparently it will open for any vessel with some advance notice.

I saw that too, looks really nice, and if going all the way to Waterford, would be a worthy stop on the way up or down...

eOceanic really is a brilliant website for info on all the various harbours & anchorages around the country... and how to get to them...

Pictures paint a thousand words...
    eoceanic_new_ross_marina.jpg
    eoceanic_cheekpoint_with_kilmokea_power_station_and_the_barrow_bridge_opening_to_the_north.jpg

https://eoceanic.com/sailing/harbours/europe/ireland/wexford/16/new_ross_marina

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The new ross bypass bridge looked fantastic when it was being built, there was a touch of the unfinished Death Star / post apocalyptic ruin about it with the exposed rebar and steelwork before the ends were connected!

You can't get into Cheekpoint anymore since the groynes were built to help keep the deep water channel, the mud had to go somewhere so the harbour is very silted up with the mud extending a good distance out from the harbour, so watching your depth outside of the channel and don't believe the chart.

Going around the north side of the island is also important as the ferry that operates on the south side is a cable ferry.

For Dunmore East a nice way of doing things with small people or non sailors is to book the Convent AirBnB (https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/24152920), sail down, then you have the boat on the pontoon, can see it from the apartment, and can do easy day trips from there, easy walking distance for everything.

It is on my list to do again when we are left off our leashes!

When I say ‘limped’ around to the hoist today, I mean literally limped at about half a knot!!!!! Wasn’t sure if I was even gonna make it out of the Marina heading into the wind/tide........

550359.jpeg
    550360.jpeg
    550361.jpeg
    550362.jpeg

I don't think I've ever seen the prop that bad.... before launching last season I sort of polished it..... Next winter I'll be trialling some prop anti-fouling...

:eek:

Have had something similar after not using boat for most of summer with feck all anti foul on it. A power wash turned into a trip to the hardware and a 2 hour scrape

In fairness, she scrubbed up well, and the anti-fouling looks to be holding well.... I put 2 1/2 coats on last May, but the boat's hardly been out since then..

• Advertisement

How do you find the wing keel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have seen similar but not quite as bad, thought there was something seriously wrong till we got it out!

What anti foul could you put on?

Brush attachment on a drill made a right job of it

neris wrote: »
    How do you find the wing keel?

Its great for us being in Malahide as it means our tidal window for getting in and out is bigger than that of a lot of the other boats there... my rule of thumb is within 2 hours either side of low tide is a no go... We once left 2 hours before low tide, and one of the day tripper ribs was on his way in as we were leaving, and he was even signalling us that it'd be too shallow to get out, but we made it!!! The echo sounder is calibrated for roughly 0 under the keel, and I've often had it down to 0 entering/leaving.... so cutting it fine..

As for sailing performance, I don't really have anything to compare it to as it's been so long since I sailed anything else, but she goes upwind surprisingly well, and she stays fairly stable.

I'm sure in a few years racing will be on the agenda, and a new set of sails, so that'll be the time to determine how goos she is (though I've heard the 285's don't rate that well...)

Alkers wrote: »
    What anti foul could you put on?

Theres lots of different types of propellor anti-fouling available, Like the International Trilux 33, so I might give that a go, or something similar...

Next job is to wash the topsides & cockpit..... and pray for some good weather over the coming months....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are speedboat seats hard to come by? is there scrapyards for boats?

fryup wrote: »
    are speedboat seats hard to come by? is there scrapyards for boats?

There’s a Facebook for Irish boating bits for sale.. and you’d usually see seats of this nature for sale...

and how do you go about fixing seats to a speedboat?? its just an empty hull no fixing points

*i'm a novice at this

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

and how do you go about fixing seats to a speedboat?? its just an empty hull no fixing points

*i'm a novice at this

Every boat is different, you might be better off starting off a post of your own with photos so we can see what we are dealing with also the make and model. We all started out as a novice so don't worry about asking any questions.

its a global sceptre boat, similar to this (14ft)

here's a pic of the hull

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

its a global sceptre boat, similar to this (14ft)

here's a pic of the hull

Looking at the holes in the carpet you can see where the seats where bolted down, these holes usually line up with stringers under the floor " stringers are timbers running the length of the hull to stiffen it up they also support the floor" it might be worth your while taking up the carpet and having a look as the carpet tends to hold moister and can rot the floor and stringers over the years. If it's just a fibreglass floor you might have metal or wood mounting points built into the floor again best to lift the carpet and have a look.

• Advertisement

so the replacement seats that i purchase have to measure up with these stringers?

*its interesting what you say about rot & moisture - the seller say's the front seats were stolen should i take that with a pinch of salt?

btw - just to add i haven't seen the boat in person, just going by online description & pics

Advertisement