Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toenail conundrum

• 14-04-2021 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Had a look back through previous posts and can't see too much on runner's toenail issues. Apols if I've missed an obvious thread.

Been running 5miles/10kms distances for guts of 20 years and never had any foot issues but been building up to a half marathon in early May, my first, and starting to get sore toenails. One is already turning purple/black.

I believe this is fairly common on longer distance running? Potential remedies appear to be better socks/better fitting shoes. Just wondering how people generally solved this problem, if at all.

I have a pair of Nike Pegasus runners which I bought last winter and they seemed perfect. I'm wondering now if they're too tight. It seems running shoes should be a half size to a full size bigger than your regular shoes to allow for swelling/expansion.

Any silver bullet cures greatly appreciated! Three weeks to race now and fearing I'll be running on sore toes and potentially doing them more damage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Bgiraffe wrote: »
    Had a look back through previous posts and can't see too much on runner's toenail issues. Apols if I've missed an obvious thread.

Been running 5miles/10kms distances for guts of 20 years and never had any foot issues but been building up to a half marathon in early May, my first, and starting to get sore toenails. One is already turning purple/black.

I believe this is fairly common on longer distance running? Potential remedies appear to be better socks/better fitting shoes. Just wondering how people generally solved this problem, if at all.

I have a pair of Nike Pegasus runners which I bought last winter and they seemed perfect. I'm wondering now if they're too tight. It seems running shoes should be a half size to a full size bigger than your regular shoes to allow for swelling/expansion.

Any silver bullet cures greatly appreciated! Three weeks to race now and fearing I'll be running on sore toes and potentially doing them more damage.

I always go a size up on my running shoe, larger toe box gives more room as your feet will swell up. Have no issues (apart from after marathon/50k when toe nails are very tender - plus do not drop a desk on your toes the day after a marathon, it really does not help (speaking from experience!))

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

I had a similar issue last year. It coincided with increasing distance and getting some new runners which looking back now were probably a little too snug. I got some little silicone things that look like condoms for toes on Amazon and started putting them on for every run. They seemed to protect the toe and help with any mild discomfort during running. It took about 6 months of nail growth and careful trimming the nail but it’s back to normal now but I still wear the toe things on that particular toe. I’ve also started wearing better socks made specifically for running and I’m careful over sizing on new runners. It’s very common and never stopped me running and was able to carry on increasing my distances without it holding me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

I recently ditched 3 good pairs of runners and a pair of spikes when I realised they were the cause of my black toenails, no doubt about it. Now the soreness is gone but the black remains. I’m 10 in Saucony but definitely not in NB Salomon Hoka or my Nike spikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Definitely don't just default to sizing up. The only time you should size up is when a certain brand or model are known to not be true to size. That's different for everyone depending on the type of feet you have.

Are you running more miles or longer distance than previous in training?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Definitely don't just default to sizing up. The only time you should size up is when a certain brand or model are known to not be true to size. That's different for everyone depending on the type of feet you have.

Are you running more miles or longer distance than previous in training?

A decent increase in mileage from what I'm used to alright. Generally did 5m and a game of 5-a-side and nice bit of golf for many years. Decided to do marathon this year, in Sept, so been doing three runs a week since mid December: 2 10ks and a longer run on Sundays. Did 11 miles last Sunday and cpl of toes (mainly on right foot) sore after, one gone purple. Doing a virtual half on May 1/2. Can't even change runners before it anyway with shops situation! Think better socks and toe wraps/capsuling might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I get purple/black big toenails every year now but only after the race, and only from marathons. The good news for me is they have never been a problem. The toenail eventually regenerates and the old one falls off. Lost one the other day actually, a relic from last October. Never interfered with my running (touch wood). Have never figured out a cause. Not confined to any shoe brand / type / size. Started with marathon number 10 and continued pretty much every one since. A mystery. Hopefully yours will be as harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Definitely don't just default to sizing up. The only time you should size up is when a certain brand or model are known to not be true to size.

Actually, I always buy running shoes a full size bigger than my normal shoes, and for many years I used to put the fact that I never lost a toenail down to this. Until I lost a toenail, that is :o

Having said that, losing a toenail is a) part of the initiation and b) not a problem. It doesn't hurt and a new one will grow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Have yet to lose a toe nail but frequently got blisters on the top of my second toe during my first 6 months of running. Seems to have back off now. Always wondered if it was cos my shoes werent tied well and there was some slipping. But it looks like it's just par for the course.

Advertisement