Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maritime News Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would absolutely sh1t bricks if I had to jump off the back of that ship in those (or any) conditions......

I did the BIM Basic Sea Survival Course almost 30 years ago (my dad was the instructor), but that ship, in those conditions..... bricks would indeed be shat, and it large quantities.....

Strange how they Hi-lined most of the crew off except the one guy in the survival suit that abandoned into the water?
    Maybe he was the guinea pig :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,121 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Strange how they Hi-lined most of the crew off except the one guy in the survival suit that abandoned into the water?

yeah he went in first and the rest of them said "feck that, we'll wait for the helicopter".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

They weren't taking any chance with the free fall lifeboat either. Would the list make it unuseable?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dohvolle wrote: »
    They weren't taking any chance with the free fall lifeboat either. Would the list make it unuseable?

The list would certainly make things difficult, the other issue is being hoisted from an open deck (no matter the angle) is preferable to the small access hatch in the hull of the enclosed lifeboat, with 'dogs'/handles aplenty to snag the wire.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A break in the weather allowed the tow to be set last night and the tug and tow are underway to a safe harbour.

lcimg-573baa38-0ec0-4b2a-bcea-4018a78d60ce.jpg

HLMAgcOahaa2YHT-oiA7mAQKFNwspZ-MXi2jSxYFixAw.jpg

• Advertisement

The "little" green boat washed from the deck of the ship has survived admirably, has been rescued and arrived into a harbour in the last few hours.

169151810_971393170272383_111251965137097797_n.jpg

Sleping%20AQS%20Tor%201.jpg

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, I hope I will not be back here in future years saying we warned of the necessity to purchase a towing vessel to help cope with potential future accidents. I hope I am proved wrong. One of the first reports into which I had to delve on taking up my position as Opposition spokesperson on the marine dealt with the need for a maritime towing vessel. It was a remarkably well produced document which contained scientific analysis as to the likelihood of marine accidents involving discharges of pollution in Irish waters. That research was undertaken in a clear and accurate manner. What was disturbing was its ability to predict reasonably accurately the likely consequences of 1.5 serious incidents a year within our waters, possibly involving quite significant discharges. If one considers the years during which the study was carried out one will note there was a series of incidents that would have corroborated that statistic. Given the volume of maritime traffic passing through our waters, it seems almost certain that we will have a serious incident at some stage. It is remarkable that we are not abiding by the recommendations of the report and spending €10 million to €15 million — I cannot remember the exact figure — on a towing vessel, which could possibly be operated in co-operation with the UK Government. It is a poor investment decision on the part of this State because if there is a problem, we may well look back and claim that the saving of this small amount of money was not wise in the long run.

Who said all this, what sane and rational person in Irish politics uttered these laudable words?

Eamonn Ryan, the current Minister for Transport, when sitting on the sidelines in 2004.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2004-06-03/14/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,121 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Who said all this, what sane and rational person in Irish politics uttered these laudable words?

Eamonn Ryan, the current Minister for Transport, when sitting on the sidelines in 2004.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2004-06-03/14/

would there be enough work for a full time towing vessel off the irish coast? are there no companies offering towing services commercially?

would there be enough work for a full time towing vessel off the irish coast? are there no companies offering towing services commercially?

The likely solution would be to share the role with the South West region of the UK, have a multi-role vessel(s) used for various tasks or a part of an EU operation with French, Spanish and Portuguese vessels.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Conditions looked very harsh when that guy jumped in, with a massive swell, whereas when the guys went up the wire, things looked a lot steadier on the ship... so perhaps the events occurred at different times? or she came around in the wind? Looked like there was still propulsion when that guy jumped off the stern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭josip

For someone who has only ever spent €700 on a 'boat' and browsed the Sunseeker website in envy after coming back from holidays, what kind of business case are you looking at for the Norwegian operation?

Value/Replacement cost of boats on deck = ?
    Value/Replacement cost of Transporter = ?
    Cost of Retrieval, tugs, Repair. etc = ?

To the nearest 10 million will do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say they would prefer to winch off the deck of a larger ship than a lifeboat, less pitch and roll and a more stable platform.
    Also as you mention a list like that might have made the risk of being crushed under the larger vessel too risky.
    The sea conditions when the first crewman abandoned looked worse than when the rest of the crew hi-lined off, in fact it looked to me like the vessel was under some kind of tow because it was headed up into the weather not beam on as would be expected with a dead ship.
    It does show the need for proper hi-line training, it's not the first time I have seen bad hi-line technique by crews.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The "little" green boat washed from the deck of the ship has survived admirably, has been rescued and arrived into a harbour in the last few hours.

169151810_971393170272383_111251965137097797_n.jpg

Sleping%20AQS%20Tor%201.jpg

Now that's a lucky boat!
    Won't anyone think of the poor guy who lashed this one to deck, and t being the only one to get away?
    Is that the crane strop still attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

This is the yacht onboard after being initially loaded before her position was changed

image.png.0371ff46e1872ebc9cd8688287bb5026.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They have her safely back in port, still a bad list on the photo I saw earlier but probably rectified by now.

sw-090421-eemslift02.jpg

cqRzT3aLrNPiNElgF_y1SAUCKHPuzyVP5gebyz4SeI9A.jpg

b7Auwcd6gYrbniYa5JTypQ6dIFUiJdL1MJ5HdO8dTB1Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Seems 'Ever Given' has been seized in Egypt until a crazy large fine is paid. I suppose the ship would have been $125 million or so when new, cargo value could vary considerably whether a container had high value electronics in it or low cost goods.
    A container ship that blocked Egypt's Suez Canal and crippled world trade for nearly a week has been 'seized' on court orders until the vessel's owners pay $900 million, canal authorities have said.

The MV "Ever Given was seized due to its failure to pay $900 million" compensation, Suez Canal Authority chief Osama Rabie was quoted as saying by Al-Ahram, a state-run newspaper.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0413/1209668-evergiven-seized/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭josip

Seems 'Ever Given' has been seized in Egypt until a crazy large fine is paid. I suppose the ship would have been $125 million or so when new, cargo value could vary considerably whether a container had high value electronics in it or low cost goods.

How do the likes of Egypt ever expect to be taken seriously trying to pull that kind of stunt?
    The $900 million compensation figure was calculated based on "the losses incurred by the grounded vessel as well as the flotation and maintenance costs, according to a court ruling handed down by the Ismailia Economic Court,"

6 lost days at a maximum of €12m per day = $72m. So $828m to refloat ? :confused:

Presumably they would also have recovered most of the missed fees from any ships that waited around to transit in subsequent days?
    So probably down a lot less than $72m.

josip wrote: »
    How do the likes of Egypt ever expect to be taken seriously trying to pull that kind of stunt?

6 lost days at a maximum of €12m per day = $72m. So $828m to refloat ? :confused:

Presumably they would also have recovered most of the missed fees from any ships that waited around to transit in subsequent days?
    So probably down a lot less than $72m.

Legalised piracy, if they had more assets on standby it would have been cleared faster, difficult to see much difference in that figure than pirates hijacking ships.

• Advertisement

That's alot of steel for 125 million dollars, I have no idea but would have thought it would be more to build that with the engine power etc needed

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Green is Growing

Over the past couple of weeks I've read a lot about The Suez Canal and Egypt and have heard many accounts from seafarers about how unprofessional and difficult dealing with the canal authorities, corrupt lazy and absent pilots and how Egypt will pretty much make your life as difficult as possible if you don't play their corruption game.

So I guess if there is any truth to this then it doesn't surprise me about this. I feel sorry for the crew who are now probably going to be held captive aboard in legal limbo for a long time to come.

Hard to understand how they intend to justify this in maritime court given that (presumably) one of their own Pilots was in charge of the vessel at the time.
    Thing is, because of how long it was closed, shipping companies may have realised it is not that much more hassle to round the horn instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Hard to understand how they intend to justify this in maritime court given that (presumably) one of their own Pilots was in charge of the vessel at the time.
    Thing is, because of how long it was closed, shipping companies may have realised it is not that much more hassle to round the horn instead.

The Ever Given's route was Tanjung to Rotterdam.

If you go via Cape town the distance is 11727 NM and at a speed of 10 knots it'd take about 49 days.

Via the Suez its 35 days and 8319 NM

So its almost a 50% increase in distance and an extra month at sea per return run, going via cape town. I can't see too many ship owners taking that additional outlay.

If you go via Cape town the distance is 11727 NM and at a speed of 10 knots it'd take about 49 days.

So its almost a 50% increase in distance and an extra month at sea per return run, going via cape town. I can't see too many ship owners taking that additional outlay.

For unitised yes, but you can see more tankers going the long way. They usually end up at anchor anyway waiting for the price to go up/down before delivery. May as well be at sea.

For unitised yes, but you can see more tankers going the long way. They usually end up at anchor anyway waiting for the price to go up/down before delivery. May as well be at sea.

Very few crude oil tankers will use the Suez Canal as their draft is far too deep when loaded. Anchoring or drifting to allow the price to go up is an exceptionally rare occurrence with cargo unusually being bought and sold during the voyage itself with the arrival date firmly in mind.

I agree with you, but evergiven would average 20 knots so that alters the maths, how much fuel would she use in a month running at over 20knots with 80000 horse power?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I agree with you, but evergiven would average 20 knots so that alters the maths, how much fuel would she use in a month running at over 20knots with 80000 horse power?

Not sure about fuel, but if her cruise speed is 20 knots then the Suez route is about 17 days

Cape route is 24 1/2 days.

Still adds on a fortnight to a round trip.

I'm getting the estimated distance times from this site.

https://classic.searoutes.com/routing?speed=13&panama=true&suez=true&kiel=true&rivers=block&roads=block

It's not just fuel, the ship is on a daily charter rate of tens of thousands of dollars, and all the other costs association with running the ship (crew, stores, wear and tear etc.) plus the waters off South Africa are prone to 'rogue waves' which can do considerable damage and generate lots of paperwork.

• Advertisement

Seacor Power has capsized in bad weather conditions off the US coast.

lift-boat-capsized-1536x1028.jpg

LIFTBOAT-Seacor-Power-PRIMARY-IMAGE.jpg
    One on the left.

Advertisement