Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal for food court type thing in the city harbour

• 13-04-2021 11:27pm

Honestly not sure what to call this apart from a food court but it wont be that either

Article about it here

I'm guessing it won't pass the planning stage though

Details on the application

Proposed location is here

Proposed layout is below, looks like 8 food trucks/stalls

550090.jpg

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why do you think it won't pass the planning stage?

It looks like a longer version of events that have happened in similar areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Suppose it would be a similar set up to the Sea Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

DaCor wrote: »
    Thoughts?

Terrible terrible location, this is large goods storage area. i.e Wind Turbine blades.
    Why Council not leading in this rather than the Harbour?
    If Council were up for a bit work - somewhere like Woodquay, its sheltered, its not in shade, plenty of Car parking at the Dyke Road and is closer to the City Centre and a overall far more pleasant environment.
    Best of luck to the Harbour but cannot see myself visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Before I criticize it, one should acknowledge it is good to see some body being proactive, though one would have liked it to be the authorities so as not to rely on private land.

Seems like a really odd location for an outdoor food venue. You had the industrial area behind you and a busy main road in front of you. Constant stream of traffic.

It's different where there are food trucks set up for Sea Fest etc - that is part of it and you come down to see the things and happen to get food.

I would not find myself going out of the way to go down to the industrial part of Galway to sit in a concrete square (with zero atmosphere / pubs etc) for food truck grub.

Woodquay would seem nicer (there's pubs at least - the park and then down to the river side) although I would suppose there would be hell to stop parking for a weekend.

The Claddagh might work, but even then you're at the mercy of the elements - it's far too exposed.

Terrible terrible location, this is large goods storage area. i.e Wind Turbine blades.
    Why Council not leading in this rather than the Harbour?
    If Council were up for a bit work - somewhere like Woodquay, its sheltered, its not in shade, plenty of Car parking at the Dyke Road and is closer to the City Centre and a overall far more pleasant environment.
    Best of luck to the Harbour but cannot see myself visiting.

You think the council should repurpose public land to allow private for-profit business that don't pay rates to set up in direct competition to rate-paying businesses?

With no consideration of the amenity effects on local residents to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Who wouldn't want to eat outside next to one of the busiest roads in the city beside dozens of passing diesel spewing trucks and buses beside a large dusty industrial complex, also filled with dozens of diesel spewing trucks and buses.
    Mmmm, can nearly taste the fumes now. Yummy.

Part of the large car park on the prom in Salthill would be much better for this. Or even on the grass where they had the Salthill markets 2 years ago.

Open the Aquarium car park and site of the fun fair for parking (if the funfair isn't going up this year) if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

You think the council should repurpose public land to allow private for-profit business that don't pay rates to set up in direct competition to rate-paying businesses?

With no consideration of the amenity effects on local residents to boot.

I think this proposal is for businesses in the city that pay rates anyway but have no means to accommodate outside dining.

Part of the large car park on the prom in Salthill would be much better for this. Or even on the grass where they had the Salthill markets 2 years ago.

Open the Aquarium car park and site of the fun fair for parking (if the funfair isn't going up this year) if needed.

Agree Toft Car Park would be a good location as well, maybe key have a few dotted around the City/Suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I think this proposal is for businesses in the city that pay rates anyway but have no means to accommodate outside dining.
    I think this proposal is for Galway Harbour Company to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭ratracer

Could you think of a worse site in the city to try this, it’s almost proposed to fail by design!
    Why not put it out on the quayside of the dock at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For a temporary thing it might work as the novelty will bring some crowds.

I think this proposal is for Galway Harbour Company to make money.

Can it not be both?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It would be nice in 10+ years after the redevelopment of lands behind the train station, then there would be good footfall down around there.

Right now there is nothing to bring people out there, so hard to see why anyone would willingly walk over there

maybe key have a few dotted around the City/Suburbs

Yes!

Dot a few of these around the city with some picnic benches and people don't have to travel around so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It's in the heart of the Bonham quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

If I had a big wad of cash, I’d put a food market in the site of the old Debenhams shop and make it in the style of Mercado san Idelphonso in Madrid or Foodhallen in Amsterdam. It’s a good location, isn’t dependent on the weather and would be a good way to fill one of the many empty retail spaces around town.

If I had a big wad of cash, I’d put a food market in the site of the old Debenhams shop and make it in the style of Mercado san Idelphonso in Madrid or Foodhallen in Amsterdam. It’s a good location, isn’t dependent on the weather and would be a good way to fill one of the many empty retail spaces around town.

Theres a covered food market already being built at the site of the old Connacht Tribune, was supposed to be open Spring 2020 (but obviously that didn't happen) the new goal I think is 2022 which isn't going to be that long

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-indoor-artisan-food-market-gets-go-ahead-300/

https://www.galwayfoodmarket.com/

https://connachttribune.ie/new-tech-hub-in-galway-city-centre-gets-green-light/

I said it before, Edward square is an ideal location in the city centre that is going to waste. a food court there would be an excellent addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I said it before, Edward square is an ideal location in the city centre that is going to waste. a food court there would be an excellent addition.

Indoor or outdoor? None of the units are set up for cooking and would need to completely refurbished internally e.g new air con, ventilation, toilets etc etc. Would be hugely costly.

• Advertisement

Indoor or outdoor? None of the units are set up for cooking and would need to completely refurbished internally e.g new air con, ventilation, toilets etc etc. Would be hugely costly.

Something needs to be done there. It had failed as a fashion retail space even before Covid.

The city has LOTS of vacant space which needs to be repurposed.

Something needs to be done there. It had failed as a fashion retail space even before Covid.

The city has LOTS of vacant space which needs to be repurposed.

Absolutely but the unit owners/commercial auctioneers are only looking to get retailers in there, two units were close to being rented before the October lockdown but that put paid to them. Hard to see who is going to be up for repurposing all those units given the cost involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭ratracer

Absolutely but the unit owners/commercial auctioneers are only looking to get retailers in there, two units were close to being rented before the October lockdown but that put paid to them. Hard to see who is going to be up for repurposing all those units given the cost involved.

It wouldn’t necessarily be that costly, open view kitchens and door level ducting could be done cost effectively. It would be a great use of Edward Square, as I would agree ( for once ;)) with MrsO’B that it had been a failure as a retail centre to date.

ratracer wrote: »
    It wouldn’t necessarily be that costly, open view kitchens and door level ducting could be done cost effectively. It would be a great use of Edward Square, as I would agree ( for once ;)) with MrsO’B that it had been a failure as a retail centre to date.

A failure in the last two years, not the previous 15-20.

Something will have to give there at some point I suppose as it's hard to see how all those units will be filled by any retailers. I just don't think those units are overly food suitable without substantial amounts of investment, which is hard to see.

Something will have to give there at some point I suppose as it's hard to see how all those units will be filled by any retailers. I just don't think those units are overly food suitable without substantial amounts of investment, which is hard to see.

Would also require a change of use through planning

DaCor wrote: »
    Would also require a change of use through planning

Might be the lesser of the two difficulties to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

ratracer wrote: »
    Could you think of a worse site in the city to try this, it’s almost proposed to fail by design!
    Why not put it out on the quayside of the dock at least?

Because it's "the quayside of the dock" :rolleyes:

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Because it's "the quayside of the dock" :rolleyes:

Tell us what you really think ?Cee?view about this fabulous location?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tell us what you really think ?Cee?view about this fabulous location?

People will be coming down Augustine hill, past French Garden past the the amazing independent living area for the elderly and onto Bonham quay which which will amongst all else have 3500 employees, and almost 2000 bike spaces, you will then move onward towards our world class port which will link Galway with the rest of Europe and see a huge increase in out seaways usage and in tourism. This spot is a perfect stop in-between. It'll be fantastic.

• Advertisement

People will be coming down Augustine hill, past French Garden past the the amazing independent living area for the elderly and onto Bonham quay which which will amongst all else have 3500 employees, and almost 2000 bike spaces, you will then move onward towards our world class port which will link Galway with the rest of Europe and see a huge increase in out seaways usage and in tourism. This spot is a perfect stop in-between. It'll be fantastic.

Your forgot about the most important aspect of this thread?
    What about the food court :D

Advertisement