Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Megathread Part 4 - See OP for threadbans

• 12-04-2021 5:32pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Splitting between Testing and Vaccines

Prior combined threads:
    Thread 1
    Thread 2
    Thread 3

Threadbans carry over

Threadbanned users:
    3xh
    Dr.Frost
    kingbhome
    nannerbenahs
    skooterblue2
    Fodla
    Caraibh
    lawrencesummers
    Howard Beale
    Thornysheep
    Snowcat

Please discuss with banning mod if you wish a threadban to be reconsidered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Testing is finding "cases" which in absolute majority are not cases per se. I was part of 2 mass testing in a place where I work and first test found over 25% tested positive and second testing 3 months after first found again about 20% positive cases from tested individuals.
    None of them had a single symptom or issue and never developed one.
    Tested and positive people shared a rooms with 1 or 2 other people and their room mates did not get positive result.
    2 pf the people tested positive both times were close to their seventies with some other health issues yet they managed just fine.
    Whole covid situation is blown out of proportion to the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,387 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Testing is finding "cases" which in absolute majority are not cases per se. I was part of 2 mass testing in a place where I work and first test found over 25% tested positive and second testing 3 months after first found again about 20% positive cases from tested individuals.
    None of them had a single symptom or issue and never developed one.
    Tested and positive people shared a rooms with 1 or 2 other people and their room mates did not get positive result.
    2 pf the people tested positive both times were close to their seventies with some other health issues yet they managed just fine.
    Whole covid situation is blown out of proportion to the extreme.

Of course nobody "had symptoms".
    If they had symptoms during covid they shouldn't have been at work.
    If they had symotoms pre-covid they probably thought it was a cold or flu and still turned up on paracetamol or uniflu.
    Meanwhile their vulnerable relations were ending up in hospital and the grave.

There's likely some confounding factor explaining why some people in same household are testing positive and others aren't, either some genetic quirk or previous exposure to another virus. People who currently have a cold can't get infected with covid for example, it blocks the infection.

None of this speaks to "covid has been blown out of proportion".
    Countries are acting as they are as they started to see their hospitals fill up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭patnor1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Of course nobody "had symptoms".
    If they had symptoms during covid they shouldn't have been at work.
    If they had symotoms pre-covid they probably thought it was a cold or flu and still turned up on paracetamol or uniflu.
    Meanwhile their vulnerable relations were ending up in hospital and the grave.

There's likely some confounding factor explaining why some people in same household are testing positive and others aren't, either some genetic quirk or previous exposure to another virus. People who currently have a cold can't get infected with covid for example, it blocks the infection.

None of this speaks to "covid has been blown out of proportion".
    Countries are acting as they are as they started to see their hospitals fill up.

There are about 15 staff where I work and about 80-90 residents - people who live there and share rooms. None of the staff had it despite being in daily contact with positive cases. None of people sharing rooms with infected people had it either. So much for confounding factor. I would rather attribute that to natural acquired immunity be it fom covid or other corona type previous infections. Pretty much in line of what some scientists tried to say from the start that 40-60% of the people are already immune to covid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE looking into the possibility for walk-in testing in regular testing centers - pilot scheme is underway in Dunmanway in Cork and another place that I missed

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Hi. My wife tested positive for covid last monday. I was tested on Thursday and tested negative. Because i am in contact with my wife everyday do i need to get another test next week?????
    Any info much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Hi. My wife tested positive for covid last monday. I was tested on Thursday and tested negative. Because i am in contact with my wife everyday do i need to get another test next week?????

Is your wife not self-isolating in a room separate to yourself? You shouldn’t be seeing her every day if she’s positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Is your wife not self-isolating in a room separate to yourself? You shouldn’t be seeing her every day if she’s positive.

Are you living in the real world?
    His wife tested positive on Monday, if she was infectious she would have already passed it on to him before that point, why would he be avoiding her now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭mightyreds

You get one Thursday and 4 days later so should be due Monday/Tuesday not sure what day it counts from, so day 1 and day 5, I know alot of people tested negative day 1 and positive day 5

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many people live in houses large enough to follow this advice? I'm imagine very few.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement

Its a 1 bed apartment. I tried sleeping outside under a bush but got bitten by a hedgehog!:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its a 1 bed apartment. I tried sleeping outside under a bush but got bitten by a hedgehog!:(

This is one place we have fallen down with imo.

There should be options put in place for people to move into quarantine hotels if unable to self isolate at home. Most transmission seems to happen in the household.

mightyreds wrote: »
    You get one Thursday and 4 days later so should be due Monday/Tuesday not sure what day it counts from, so day 1 and day 5, I know alot of people tested negative day 1 and positive day 5
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

HI all quick question (assuming heres the best place to post!) Can people self administer the rapid testing themselves, or does it have to be by a medical professional? Im hearing of other countries around europe where people are self testing, but everything ive read suggests ireland needs a medical professional to complete? There seems to be more and more options of rapid testing coming up (non-lab ones) but they all say to be used in a "clinical setting"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This is one place we have fallen down with imo.

There should be options put in place for people to move into quarantine hotels if unable to self isolate at home. Most transmission seems to happen in the household.

There are rooms in CityWest Hotel in Dublin for just this cohort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Marcusm wrote: »
    There are rooms in CityWest Hotel in Dublin for just this cohort.

I'm aware that they are there in theory. It's just not really put into practice.
    antodeco wrote: »
    HI all quick question (assuming heres the best place to post!) Can people self administer the rapid testing themselves, or does it have to be by a medical professional? Im hearing of other countries around europe where people are self testing, but everything ive read suggests ireland needs a medical professional to complete? There seems to be more and more options of rapid testing coming up (non-lab ones) but they all say to be used in a "clinical setting"?

In theory testing can be self administered but the reliability goes down. There are no HSE offered tests that are self administered.

I'm aware of someone in the UK. Very bad covid dose. 3 negative tests. Admitted to hospital. Told doctors he couldn't have covid. Was told by the doctors that the error rate for self administrated tests was horribly low.

In theory testing can be self administered but the reliability goes down. There are no HSE offered tests that are self administered.

I'm aware of someone in the UK. Very bad covid dose. 3 negative tests. Admitted to hospital. Told doctors he couldn't have covid. Was told by the doctors that the error rate for self administrated tests was horribly low.

Thanks for that. Theres a good few tests available in Ireland now, but all say "recommended" for a clinical person to be around. Just wasnt sure if that was an explicit rule for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Got tested in Parnells Gaa club, Coolock, yesterday.(walk In Test)

Got positive result today.

Feel fine, No temperature, and oxygen saturation rate 97%

Wore KN95 mask everywhere I shopped and always had hand sanitiser with me.

Always wiped all items with Dettol wipes before bringing them into house

Don't know where I could have picked it up :confused:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Has it always been the same mask or using different masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Very strange all right. Must have been somebody that you were in close contact with? Good that you are feeling OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What do you do if you're worried you could have been exposed to Covid. In the same office as someone and they coughed twice while their mask was off. Not displaying any symptoms at the moment but anxious.

What do you do if you're worried you could have been exposed to Covid. In the same office as someone and they coughed twice while their mask was off. Not displaying any symptoms at the moment but anxious.

Does the office worker have Covid?

Does the office worker have Covid?

No not confirmed to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Has it always been the same mask or using different masks?

Hi Ad

Different KN95 Masks and always sanitised them in a sterliser afterwards

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

No not confirmed to have it.

Not confirmed? Are they displaying symptoms and awaiting a test?

Hi Ad

Ugh that's tough so. I think there's still alot to learn about this virus and it's transmission. Hopefully you remain ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

You have not spent anytime in a closed environment (office, home, doctor, car, public transport) with people outside your household in the past 2 weeks or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Hi Ad

How does one sanitise masks in a steriliser?

Not confirmed? Are they displaying symptoms and awaiting a test?

Nope but type of person that if they did display symptoms, they'd go into work anyway. Fact that they coughed close to me without a mask has me worried.

• Advertisement

Nope but type of person that if they did display symptoms, they'd go into work anyway. Fact that they coughed close to me without a mask has me worried.

If someone had Covid and coughed near you, it is still not a guarantee that you would become infected. The fact that this person is more than likely not affected, reduces your chances even more so drastically. People cough all the time, not related to Covid. Someone coughing close to you, does not mean you've been exposed to Covid. They coughed. They're not showing symptoms nor have they been diagnosed with Covid. You'll be ok.

Advertisement