Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modern Pentathlon

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

No joy unfortunately.

He ran up to 15th in his group from 19th, but the damage was done in the fencing, just had too much to do.

49th placed finisher overall. Pretty sobering.

Thats not good vis a vis Tokyo. He really needs a few good world cups to move up the rankings. 46th is very poor by his standards. Hope his injury hasnt flared or else he is just rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Oldira wrote: »
    Thats not good vis a vis Tokyo. He really needs a few good world cups to move up the rankings. 46th is very poor by his standards. Hope his injury hasnt flared or else he is just rusty.

Won’t have been injury as his laser run was excellent and he was the quickest swimmer in his heat.

Had a poor fence and couldn’t recover but his performance in the ‘athletic’ portions of the event indicate his fitness is OK

Oldira wrote: »

Won’t have been injury as his laser run was excellent and he was the quickest swimmer in his heat.

Had a poor fence and couldn’t recover but his performance in the ‘athletic’ portions of the event indicate his fitness is OK

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pierre de Coubertin

Sive and Tal going really strongly so far in the Budapest final, lying 9th and 12th and due to ride soon.

This is a big big opportunity for Sive for a high finish in a ranking event, unfortunately the horse she has has drawn did not jump well for its first round rider.

The young Japanese girl did not start in the riding unsurprisingly.

Sive undone by the horse draw, so disappointing.

She did well not to be eliminated on it but has gone from looking good for a high top 10 finish at least, to down around 25th.

Tal had a decent score and she will be very nicely placed. But it was Sive who wanted the points more here so :(

• Advertisement

All over. Tal very good finish in 7th - thats a really solid start to build her season on.

Gutted for Sive, a real case of what might have been for her. She battled back again to be 18th in the end. She just had to ride a donkey and that sank her. She was in such a great position - looking at the results she could actually have afforded a couple of fences down and still finshed 3rd overall.

It was nothing but rank bad luck for her today. Similar to Arthur who looked rusty in the fencing but good in the run and swim, she knows she is in good shape and is definitely a realistic qualification contender.

On to Bulgaria in 10 days.

All over. Tal very good finish in 7th - thats a really solid start to build her season on.

Gutted for Sive, a real case of what might have been for her. She battled back again to be 18th in the end. She just had to ride a donkey and that sank her. She was in such a great position - looking at the results she could actually have afforded a couple of fences down and still finshed 3rd overall.

It was nothing but rank bad luck for her today. Similar to Arthur who looked rusty in the fencing but good in the run and swim, she knows she is in good shape and is definitely a realistic qualification contender.

On to Bulgaria in 10 days.

Sive still moved up 11 places in the Olympic rankings and is now 23rd. A couple of more solid performances and she will qualify for Tokyo

Just looking at the ranking list after last week’s competition – athletes currently in the ranking list qualifying positions in bold below (standard 6 list places plus 2 extras because of already qualifieds medalling at Worlds 2019), already qualified and out because of country quotas disregarded. On the plus side, Sive is very close and she was in tremendous form in Budapest so one would think she has every chance. On the other hand, at least 4 of those athletes ahead of her are of the highest class and will be difficult to displace. So in that respect, you could say she is chasing one of 3 or 4 remaining places and you just know it will come down to fine margins at the end of the process. That is what makes last week’s result such a sickener. If she had managed even an average ride she would have around 20 extra points and would practically qualified already given her direct competitors for those last few ranking list places would nearly have to medal at events between now and June – most unlikely.

Importantly the last qualifying event is the World Championships in June where the top 3 will qualify, unless already qualified, in which case those spots don’t go down the line - they go to the ranking list – which would mean up to 3 extra spots from the list, great for Sive. Normally it would be long odds against 3 not already qualified to be 1st 2nd and 3rd at a world championships, but could be very different this year with the event so close to Tokyo so many of those already qualified may well opt out.

Muir GB 163
    EC 7 Oteiza Fra 128
    EC 6 Venckauskaite Lit 126

Summers GB 125
    Kohlmann Ger 120
    EC 4 Silkina Blr 118
    EC 1 French GB 116

Batashova Rus 115
    Gubaydullina Rus 115
    EC 2 Prasiantsova Blr 115
    Ozyuksel Tur 108
    EC 3 Schleu Ger 106
    Asia Takamiya Jpn 104
    Host Scimazu Jpn 104

Oliver Mex 103
    Potapenko Kaz 103

EC 5 Coyle Irl 100
    Clouvel Fra 97
    Matukhevich Geo 96

Salminen Fin 94
    Gulyas Hun 94
    Prokopenko Blr 94
    Brassil Irl 94

Just looking at the ranking list after last week’s competition – athletes currently in the ranking list qualifying positions in bold below (standard 6 list places plus 2 extras because of already qualifieds medalling at Worlds 2019), already qualified and out because of country quotas disregarded. On the plus side, Sive is very close and she was in tremendous form in Budapest so one would think she has every chance. On the other hand, at least 4 of those athletes ahead of her are of the highest class and will be difficult to displace. So in that respect, you could say she is chasing one of 3 or 4 remaining places and you just know it will come down to fine margins at the end of the process. That is what makes last week’s result such a sickener. If she had managed even an average ride she would have around 20 extra points and would practically qualified already given her direct competitors for those last few ranking list places would nearly have to medal at events between now and June – most unlikely.

Importantly the last qualifying event is the World Championships in June where the top 3 will qualify, unless already qualified, in which case those spots don’t go down the line - they go to the ranking list – which would mean up to 3 extra spots from the list, great for Sive. Normally it would be long odds against 3 not already qualified to be 1st 2nd and 3rd at a world championships, but could be very different this year with the event so close to Tokyo so many of those already qualified may well opt out.

Muir GB 163
    EC 7 Oteiza Fra 128
    EC 6 Venckauskaite Lit 126

Summers GB 125
    Kohlmann Ger 120
    EC 4 Silkina Blr 118
    EC 1 French GB 116

Batashova Rus 115
    Gubaydullina Rus 115
    EC 2 Prasiantsova Blr 115
    Ozyuksel Tur 108
    EC 3 Schleu Ger 106
    Asia Takamiya Jpn 104
    Host Scimazu Jpn 104

Oliver Mex 103
    Potapenko Kaz 103

EC 5 Coyle Irl 100
    Clouvel Fra 97
    Matukhevich Geo 96

Salminen Fin 94
    Gulyas Hun 94
    Prokopenko Blr 94
    Brassil Irl 94

Thanks for that list. I also think its highly unlikely that the tripartite invitations will be taken up which would free 2 more places. They weren't in 2016 anyhow and Coyle qualified despite her ranking being in the 30s.

You’ve ruled out 2 Japanese athletes there and I think it should only be one. They’ve one qualified so far so another is possible

As it stands Sive is effectively 11th at the moment

Arthur is effictively 16th

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    You’ve ruled out 2 Japanese athletes there and I think it should only be one. They’ve one qualified so far so another is possible

As it stands Sive is effectively 11th at the moment

Arthur is effictively 16th

Yes, one Japanese qualified by right out of Asia, and they are also entitled to a spot as hosts.

World Cup 2 in Sofia this week with Sive and Arthur chasing ranking points.

Sive qualified comfortably today for her final on Friday. Really good combined run again, she seems in top phyisical shape.

Arthur up tomorrow. Bit of pressure on him. EDIT: need not have worried, qualified smoothly 2nd in his semi, much sharper in the fencing. Everything in place for big result on Saturday.

Not Sive's day unfortunately. Finished down in 32nd of 36 in the fencing and that was that. She is lying 28th now waiting for the combined run, will probably move up but unliklely to improve ranking list position.

Edit: finished up 27th. One to forget about and move on

No great improvement from Arthur on the on the previous week with his 22nd place finish at the weekend. His fencing seems way off where he has been in past seasons. He is skipping this weeks World Cup 3 so just 2 ranking events left for him to win points at, in May and June.

Despite all of that he is in a qualifying slot on the ranking list as it stands today. Way too early to count chickens but he should be ok - he isnt just looking to travel for the trcak suit of course, so will want to go there in better form.

1 LUO CHN 136
    2 PRADES FRA 135

3 MAROSI HUN 133
    4 DOGUE P GER 130
    5 DOGUE M GER 127
    6 FERNANDEZ GUA 126
    7 VLACH CZE 125
    8 LIEBEG GER 121
    9 JUN KOR 115
    10 CHOONG GBR 114
    11 LIFANOV RUS 114

12 PALAZKOV BLR 111
    13 KINDERIS LIT 109
    14 BELAUD FRA 108
    15 TOOLIS GBR 107

16 ELGENDY EGY 106
    17 ZILLEKENS GER 103
    18 COOKE GBR 102
    19 DEMETER HUN 102
    20 JUNG KOR 102

21 LANNIGAN OK IRL 100

Insight on Arthur's mindset from his insta today -

Sport isn’t without it’s tough decisions and yesterday my team and I made one of the hardest of my career.
    After spending 3weeks abroad in and out of competition while confined to a hotel room I made the decision to pass on the next World Cup this weekend. In the last final my body wasn’t it’s usual self and I don’t feel it wise to do another competition with such a short turnaround, running the risk of damaging my health and potential for future performances.

Thankfully my results of 3rd and 22nd qualify me safely for the Final of the World Cup series in 4 weeks time which was our main objective.

So Instead I have decided to do one less competition in order to allow myself prepare to the best of my ability for the final in 4weeks time. Time will tell if this is the correct decision or not but I trust my team and I back myself to make it happen.
    For now a little rest and then full steam ahead for World Cup Final.

#pressuremakesdiamonds�� #TeamIreland #eyesontheprize

Worrying times for Sive now.

She retired after the swim and fence in her semi at World Cup 3 in Sofia today. Hopefully a bug or something which will pass, she has been away in a hotel for 3 weeks now which must be very tough to endure.

Tal comfortably qualified for Saturday's final. She is flying it lately.

Advertisement