Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recent second-hand purchase from dealership - lots of problems

Options
  • 13-04-2021 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has been in this situation before and could advise on the situation below?

Bought a 2013 car from a car dealership in Dublin (not SIMI affiliated) last month and been having issues with the car - heavy smoke from exhaust, coolant levels dropping consistently, engine lights coming on dash. We're in Kerry and had it dropped it us after a car inspection by an independent firm as we couldn't travel. Nothing significant came from the inspection (mainly visual and a short test drive) so we proceeded with purchase. Turns out the piston rings, timing chain kit, head gasket need to be replaced/engine rebuilt. To me, this seems like an extraordinary amount of work given we've only had the car a few weeks.

At first the dealership refused refund and only offered repair. The car in currently in their garage after being assessed and they want to put the claim through the warranty they provided us to cover as much as the claim will allow.

I honestly would prefer a refund and walk away at this stage but they are adamant that they will only do the repair at their cost. We're going on almost two weeks without a car. I've spoken to CCPC (who basically said that they are meeting their obligations by repairing and failing that would need to go to court) and have a call with FLAC clinic this evening (to discuss the situation and what options I currently have)

Has anyone been in this situation before, or have any advice what to do? It seems to be a significant amount of engine work.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Who did the independent inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gmannix1000

Who did the independent inspection?

Was recommended a car inspection firm in Dublin to carry it out a prepurchase inspection.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Was recommended a car inspection firm in Dublin to carry it out a prepurchase inspection.

Go talk to them too I'd suggest.

What make and model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has been in this situation before and could advise on the situation below?

Bought a 2013 car from a car dealership in Dublin (not SIMI affiliated) last month and been having issues with the car - heavy smoke from exhaust, coolant levels dropping consistently, engine lights coming on dash. We're in Kerry and had it dropped it us after a car inspection by an independent firm as we couldn't travel. Nothing significant came from the inspection (mainly visual and a short test drive) so we proceeded with purchase. Turns out the piston rings, timing chain kit, head gasket need to be replaced/engine rebuilt. To me, this seems like an extraordinary amount of work given we've only had the car a few weeks.

At first the dealership refused refund and only offered repair. The car in currently in their garage after being assessed and they want to put the claim through the warranty they provided us to cover as much as the claim will allow.

I honestly would prefer a refund and walk away at this stage but they are adamant that they will only do the repair at their cost. We're going on almost two weeks without a car. I've spoken to CCPC (who basically said that they are meeting their obligations by repairing and failing that would need to go to court) and have a call with FLAC clinic this evening (to discuss the situation and what options I currently have)

Has anyone been in this situation before, or have any advice what to do? It seems to be a significant amount of engine work.

First of all, I wouldn't ever buy a car without seeing it in person, pre purchase inspection or not. But we're past that. The work involved in fixing the repair is huge, as you've said its basically an engine rebuild, if its not done by someone who is completely confident in carrying out head gasket repairs and pulling pistons from cylinders then you could still have issues even after they've done the repair. I would argue that they knew the car had major faults like that before they sold it. I'd keep pushing for a refund and get in touch with a solicitor for more clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would you qualify for distance selling cooling off period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would you qualify for distance selling cooling off period?

Would think that's expired by now if they have the car a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Might depend when it actually got delivered, if that was arranged by the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    First of all, I wouldn't ever buy a car without seeing it in person, pre purchase inspection or not. But we're past that. The work involved in fixing the repair is huge, as you've said its basically an engine rebuild, if its not done by someone who is completely confident in carrying out head gasket repairs and pulling pistons from cylinders then you could still have issues even after they've done the repair. I would argue that they knew the car had major faults like that before they sold it. I'd keep pushing for a refund and get in touch with a solicitor for more clarification

TBF that's absolute bread and butter basic stuff for any mechanic to do, if the garage want to fix it I don't see what other recourse the op has.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bought a 2013 car from a car dealership in Dublin (not SIMI affiliated)

we're talking a second-hand dealership then?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Op should look up the sale of goods and supply of services law to see exactly what their rights are.... firstly the dealer has right to repair and if same problem exists afterwards then they may be entitled to refund....up to 12 months warranty should apply to the repair
    Like what’s been said before, purchasing 8 year olds car unseen without test drive is always a big risk.... lesson learned maybe.... what car is it? Why not purchase locally or ask local dealer to source for you???ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wasn’t a Naas road job by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Did they sell you an additional insurance warranty which is what they are proposing to use to cover the repair cost?

That's the only way I can see them pulling any sort of stroke.

Either way, repair would be the first port of call, unless you can establish that they were aware or should have been aware of faults, the pre purchase inspection you commissioned will not help your case, unless they were recommended to you by the garage themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gmannix1000

Hi All,

Just had an update on this, we dropped the car off almost three weeks ago now for repair. Initially we were told 4-5 days and then an additional week as they had to wait for parts and now, on the third week, they won't answer the phone or emails to let us know the status of the car or when it would be ready for collection. So frustrating that we have to deal with this and go for a third week without a car.

It is very inconvenient now for us to be without the car this long and with no end in sight, this is turning into a gongshow. Has anyone any advice on what I can do? I'd like to give them an ultimatum of a date by when the car needs to be repaired by (end of the week) and insisting on a refund after this but I know they'll just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The problem is that they are in Dublin, they know you are not and probably won't be able to bug them in person due to covid restrictions. So they are just ignoring you which is easy to do over the phone and by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how far are you into your warranty OP??

seems like the dealer is dragging his heels on this so as to have the car out of warranty when he returns it to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

fryup wrote: »
    how far are you into your warranty OP??

seems like the dealer is dragging his heels on this so as to have the car out of warranty when he returns it to you

Exactly this. They have no intention of fixing that car properly, if at all.

Advertisement