Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Wrestlemania 37- April 10th and 11th (Contains Spoilers)

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is Edge retiring again ?

Bit confused on this myself the way people are talking. I'm expecting a feud between him and Bryan now where Edge goes full psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Okay while the in ring stuff for the most part was fine and in places good with the exception of the tag team turmoil match from night 1, wwe don’t seem to be able at this stage to be able to get fans invested in any feud. And Vince McMahon for all faults up until the last few years could get fans interested in a match. I as a wrestling of nearly thirty years still want a reason to give a **** about what is on a PPV. Just because isn’t a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It's bad times when Fuego vs QT is a more engaging feud than any ****e WWE is churning out these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit confused on this myself the way people are talking. I'm expecting a feud between him and Bryan now where Edge goes full psycho.

Yeah i also want to see an Edge vs Seth Rollins feud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

55cwhz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So will the Wrestlemania Backlash PPV just be a rerun of most of these matches.

Isnt that why happens at Backlash normally?

Loughc wrote: »
    Isnt that why happens at Backlash normally?

For as long as it’s been a PPV that’s what more or less happens yes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

1pJxPUu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭ThePott

Just finished it, some thoughts.

Fiend match was a dud for so many reasons. First of all even if you were into the mystical side of stuff, all you got here was black blood. As bad as this feud was they at least had some 'big' moments. Fireballs, lighting rigs collapsing etc. Months of a feud and this was the pay-off. The fact the Fiend lost as well is just dumb. I'm all for letting stories play out but this has been the absolute drizzles from start to finish. Did pop for box-like structure though.

Women's tag. Apparently Tamina is pretty sound, that's the only reason I can understand her getting a pop. Shayna is wasted here and this match was too long.

Owens/Zayn was a decent match but they've had better ones, it just needed a bit more. No fan of Logan Paul but fair play to him for realising he'd be heel and playing off it and actually loved his stunner sell.

Sheamus/Riddle. Loved this match. Sheamus deserves a great run after the last few months and this match was better than it should have been. Shame he slipped from the rope but the match didn't suffer for it. The allegations against Riddle have totally soured me on him tbh as talented as he is. Glad Sheamus won.

Crews/Big E. Big E is an absolute star. This match though, woof! The concept for the match was nonsense, just plonking a load of drums. The ending ruined it entirely. Was a shame as it had it's moments before then. Hope this means Big E is moving on to Roman soon.

Ripley/Asuka. Loved this match, strong stuff. Crowd loves Rhea, glad she got her moment. One thing the women's roster does a lot better is bring up new talent and the two women's title matches show that. Excited to see where they go from here.

Main event. Expected Roman to win personally but shocked at how dominant a win it was. Was a great match altogether though. Perfectly happy with a heel Roman going over at Mania tbh. Probably prefered Night One's main event overall but this was really strong.

Night One was probably the better show. Night Two just suffered from some odd choices and unsatisfying conclusions. Still didn't think it was bad. I know some people don't like the two-night Manias, personally I love them and hope they're the norm. Wrestlemania Backlash is a rubbish name but branding wise for Peacock I get it. Also annoyed the found nothing for Bayley but glad the Bellas got booed, WWE take note. Also glad the booed Hogan get that hot dog skinned racist off the telly brother.

• Advertisement

He’s not wrong is Lance. It was all the time over both nights What’s wrong with using one angle ? During the Sasha vs Bianca match on night one there was spot on the top rope and there was at least five or six camera cuts when the camera from the floor looking up was perfectly okay. I don’t understand why they do it when it doesn’t add anything to matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It’s honestly soured me massively on WWE. I’ve watched since 1992 and that is the biggest killer of all for me. The writing/booking can be bad at times but the talent themselves are very good to excellent so can get over it to a degree. That type of production is unforgivable though and I’m glad more and more people are commenting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I love submissions in WWE now as its the only time the camera stays still for more than 5 seconds. Like its all needless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

Can't say I was conscious of the camera other than the shaking during Reigns' ground-and-pound but that was just to make the elbows look like they were hitting harder.

Although when the Bellas came out during the Bayley interruption I genuinely thought WWE had sent out two little people to do the Mini Me clone spot cause of the camera angle and the height of Hogan/Titus O'Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I took yesterday off work as I was sick so decided to put on mania night 2....sorry "wrestlemania sunday" ....I was the very same - the camera cuts on the chair shots and any ground and pound gave me a splitting headache.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It’s honestly soured me massively on WWE. I’ve watched since 1992 and that is the biggest killer of all for me. The writing/booking can be bad at times but the talent themselves are very good to excellent so can get over it to a degree. That type of production is unforgivable though and I’m glad more and more people are commenting on it.

I'm the exact same as you. We've been saying it for the last few years but I'm glad to see more people notice it (thinking it might lead to change but it probably won't). Sure NXT has all the same problems with camera work so whoever takes over from Dunn will continue the same ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NXT UK doesn’t actually suffer from it. Maybe it’s because they’ve less cameras on site or someone else on the switch but it’s great. NXT UK is a very watchable one hour show. It’s the only WWE I actively follow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Just a few thoughts on the 2 night show.

On more than one occasion, the pre match promo video just did not match up with the feud story they'd been running on weekly TV. It was, for me, the strangest part of the 2 nights. It was almost as though the weekly shows were not canon (like house shows) and that there were completely different stories running concurrently that we the fans never had access to. It was basically mass gaslighting on WWE's part.

This is a heel's company. It started with Lashley retaining the big belt in the opening match, it ended with Reigns retaining the other big belt in the last match. Infact the only feel good moments on this show were probably Cesaro, Owens and Bianca (Bianca's of course being the most memorable). It was strange, considering the significance of these shows being in front of a live crowd for the first time in over a year, you'd have thought they'd have wanted to pack in as many feel good moments as possible into these 2 nights but they went the complete opposite way. It was a strange decision and probably speaks to both Vince's confidence in his current babyfaces (low) and why they struggle to make popular faces in the first place.

That leads onto my big BeakerJoe showdown! In a vacuum, I have no problem with Roman Reigns winning the Triple Threat. Afterall, Edge is 47 and they've spent an entire year having Daniel Bryan be beat by literally everybody until they realised the Mania main event match was in danger of being a bomb so they had to break glass and get him in the mix. So Roman Reigns was the best option of the three. However my issue is that up until this match 1 face had won all night (Owens). It was a show that desperately needed a triumphant face victory. I would go as far as to say, if the show had ended with Daniel Bryan having tapped out Reigns, the middling reaction you've seen to Night 2 would be more positive in the afterglow of a popular face closing the show. Whether people like to admit it or not, that last image of the show has a big bearing on how you judge a show in retrospect. Had Night 1 ended with Banks victorious, I don't think it'd have been as overwhelmingly praised as it was, but instead Bianca Belair got her big moment and it was great for us to be apart of that. In the overall context of this Night 2, it was crying out for that face win.

Which brings me onto Reigns. I've a running theory. He's a heel, they've given him a sidekick, they've given him a mouthpiece, his matches all have nonsense finishes, these are all the trappings of a WWE heel. But WWE will have been fully aware of the positive reaction to Reigns online, by far and away the most positive feelings he's garnered since his Shield days. His Smackdown stuff is getting the critical love (from some circles at least) that a sizable section of WWE's fanbase latch onto as being proof the product is good. The thought process that Reigns would be cheered over Edge (whose character presentation up until Fastlane was so dull that it was a justified belief that this would be the case) led to Bryan being added to the match and a quasi Edge heel turn. But WWE's fears (?) were proven wrong, Bryan was cheered, Edge was cheered even more loudly, Reigns was booed. On the face of it, the best possible outcome. But I'm honestly not so sure. The fans rejected face Reigns. So here he is with universally respected Heyman, they've given his character an edge, he's a heel sure but he's a pretty cool heel all the same, and he gets booed at Wrestlemania. There's something inherently wrong with saying a company will be disappointed that their heel was booed, but the Roman Reigns case is just a different kettle of fish to what's gone before. He is their main man, inevitably he'll wind up being the top face again, I think they'd have liked him to have gotten the Becky Lynch or CM Punk reactions, that being a heel who ends up being too popular to boo so they have to flip them face.

A much greater focus on in ring work than there has been in practically any of the Wrestlemania's of at least the last 7 or 8 year, maybe longer. Probably the result of it being a 2 night show rather than 1. They packed the card with exciting mid card feuds that were guaranteed to deliver in ring (Owens/Zayn, Rollins/Cesaro, Big E/Apollo, Riddle/Sheamus) and those matches got time. They were all worked as sprints (think 3rd match from the top of a typical G1 show) and they all delivered. Minimal to no interference, clean finishes, it was a reminder that with a roster this good and deep WWE could produce this type of wrestling all year round if they chose to and it would be fantastic, but they choose not to. But, for 2 nights this year we got it and enjoyed it.

For The Fiend people, this was not a good night. The live crowd reaction to one of the most prominent feuds in WWE for months must be considered disappointing, the finish went down like a wet fart and it turns out even the ticket buying loyalist WWE audience didn't have time for this stuff. So the question goes again, who likes this?

Sasha Banks cemented her spot as the best female wrestler in WWE history. Her individual performance was outstanding, she has an aura and presence that puts her above most others anyway and when the bell goes her skills back it up. It would be harsh on Bianca to say she was carried (she more than held her own and executed her spots perfectly well) but Sasha leading this match through was the work of a world class veteran pro.

One of the big talking points coming out of the weekend is Vince's magic cheer/boo button. I suspected they would sweeten the crowd noise just because a 1/3 filled outdoor arena may not sound great on television. Then add into that they ended up getting soaked, it made sense that the button was in effect. But it became clear very early on Night 1 this button is not intended to sweeten the sound, rather it's to distort the reality of how the live crowd are actually reacting (or not reacting as the case may be). The button is Vince's silver button. Locked in a never ending war with his own fanbase since 2005 where John Cena's mixed reactions became the primary source of ire for the top brass, they tried everything to get him over fully with the live crowd, ultimately it never quite happened. The Roman Reigns push I believe suffered as a consequence of both it coming immediately after that long Cena battle with fans and also in how it paralleled with the organic Daniel Bryan rise (there were other issues too). Since 2005, Vince and his team have struggled more and more to manipulate the audience into reacting the way he wants them to, it's led to numerous matches being openly rejected by the crowd, it's led to changing his Wrestlemania main events, it's led to pushes abandoned. But now, finally, Vince has the chance to produce a television show that doesn't have to please anyone but himself. No more going to war with the fans. No more struggling to find a way to make the live audience cheer someone he wants them to. He has his button. And if you think he's going to get rid of his button, you're sorely mistaken.

Since 2005, Vince and his team have struggled more and more to manipulate the audience into reacting the way he wants them to, it's led to numerous matches being openly rejected by the crowd, it's led to changing his Wrestlemania main events, it's led to pushes abandoned. But now, finally, Vince has the chance to produce a television show that doesn't have to please anyone but himself. No more going to war with the fans. No more struggling to find a way to make the live audience cheer someone he wants them to. He has his button. And if you think he's going to get rid of his button, you're sorely mistaken.

Yep this is completely on the money.

WWE have confirmed their next event that will have fans will be Summerslam.

They’ve been offered venues that will house fans prior to that date but Vince has turned it down. As LOB stated he can now create the show he wants and map it out how he wants including 40 rewrites without the fans interfering.

Which is worrying as how lower can they get creatively? I guess we’ll find out over the next 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

This is a heel's company. It started with Lashley retaining the big belt in the opening match

This was unusual at it appeared the whole reason for Robert Lashley stealing the belt, breaking up Hurt Business, siding with Baron Corbin of all people was to set up the big win for our babyface Andrew McIntrye who had waited a year for his "moment".

Seemed to be one of those Vince changes of heart as it was too predictable/logical.

• Advertisement

I cant fault much of what LOB said. Mostly on the button, no pun intended, with his observations.

Who likes this Wyatt business?

Some strange people do, I cant see why. A quick browse of Twitter shows a few fans believing it to be a story teller tour de force. No one whos opinion I value. I believe feuds like this can have a place in WWE, no doubt, but this particular feud is terrible.

The Fiend as a character is no undertaker despite the comparisons.

Taker, to a younger fan in 1990, was a cartoon villian, perfect for kids, scary but not too scary. The Fiend is not for kids, hes pattened on a horror character whos completly not for kids. Would any parent want to let their kid watch Randy Orton murder this character by fire?

So its not for kids, the character is too hokey for most modern adults. If it was aimed at kids, Id be fine.... but hes not.

The theirs the characters powers. One minute hes invincible, next hes getting mowed down by Oldberg. No consistency.

But lets take the match. Arguablely WWEs longest running feud. Lasts 15 mins and ends aburptly with Bliss distracting The Fiend in a way that captures all the bollox of this feud. Its pointless. No one wants it.

Had fans been back, this feud and the character would have been **** on last year during the Braun feud.

Bray, well they guy behind him, is hugely charismatic..... let him be normal. You wanna get a star over , have him denounce the gimmick on air and fans will support him. Currently hes wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Only saw bits of night two, thought sheamus's match was class. I think he could have been a class character back in the attitude era. But he knows his place and constantly delivers. The triple threat was really entertaining aswell.

Was thinking about Ric's last match with michaels, it's weird because it's ric flair you wouldn't point out that he looks old. The first thing missus rtron said was edge looks old when watching...

The rain delay promos have been removed from the network supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Some of the greatest horseplay of all time.

I think we all agree thats for the best. Drew and Bobbys promos esp cringy.

Shocking that no one could cut a decent promo on the fly

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think we all agree thats for the best. Drew and Bobbys promos esp cringy.

Shocking that no one could cut a decent promo on the fly

I thought the female interviewer was terrible as well, not knowing what to ask or say. Think Renee would have done a good job no bother under those circumstances if she was still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Logan Paul's brother probably outdrew WrestleMania 4 or 5 times to 1 on PPV with a faker punch that John Cena ever threw.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Detailed breakdown of the Wrestlemania numbers.

https://twitter.com/wrestlenomics/status/1384551484725940233

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That is an average of $189 a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement