Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar PVs with GFCH/Heat pumps

• 10-04-2021 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I'm doing a complete renovation - plumbing, electrics etc - on a shell of a 3 bed terraced house in Dublin. I've a more general thread elsewhere but my very specific question here is regards Solar PV - it's something I want to get in, but it will have to wait for at least a year or two before budget allows, until I get the rest of work done.

My question is - is it prudent or even possible to make some allowance for the future installation of Solar PV (with possibly a battery to heat water) when I'm doing the rewiring now? Do the integration of Solar PV differ much, from homeowners point of view, depending on the heating system I get (I'm considering air to water heat pump vs combi-boiler) or is it straightforward?

I'm not really asking about efficiency here - more about installation and future proofing whatever I do now for expanding to solar pvs?

thanks folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'm doing a complete renovation - plumbing, electrics etc - on a shell of a 3 bed terraced house in Dublin. I've a more general thread elsewhere but my very specific question here is regards Solar PV - it's something I want to get in, but it will have to wait for at least a year or two before budget allows, until I get the rest of work done.

My question is - is it prudent or even possible to make some allowance for the future installation of Solar PV (with possibly a battery to heat water) when I'm doing the rewiring now? Do the integration of Solar PV differ much, from homeowners point of view, depending on the heating system I get (I'm considering air to water heat pump vs combi-boiler) or is it straightforward?

I'm not really asking about efficiency here - more about installation and future proofing whatever I do now for expanding to solar pvs?

thanks folks!

If you have an idea where you could put your inverter (and/or batteries, but with a feed in tariff, prob not worthwhile on payback terms)

a power cable and say 2 data cables (cat6) going from your consumer unit to where you want to put the inverter. Prob will only need 1 of the data cables but it's easy to put two in now.

Another power cable to consider is if you end up getting a hybrid with batteries, a second power cable for the emergency power supply could be used.

House wiring could be designed with that in mind with a sub board with essential circuits.

Eg when power goes off the sub board can be switched to backup power.

Maybe then a route(trunking/conduit) for dc cables to get to your inverter from the roof to where you want the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

thanks for this! I guess I can just give these instructions to any electrician? How much are these details likely add to the wiring job?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

thanks for this! I guess I can just give these instructions to any electrician? How much are these details likely add to the wiring job?

You could just run a small duct or something behind the plaster so the cables can be ran at a later date

Advertisement