Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M Sport vs Skoda Vrs

• 10-04-2021 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking at upgrading my car not looking to get finance or loan so have around 10k to spend

Looking at BMW M Sport 320d, 520d or Skoda Vrs
    I have heard the timing chain is meant to be a big problem in the bmw 520

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What do you reckon the Leon is worth?

What year is it?

2012 looking to trade it in

That’s the older shape Leon so?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭StephenRy30

Anyone have any thoughts on BMW vs Skoda Vrs ?
    Im leaning towards a BMW 320d , 520d 2012 - 2013 model

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Anyone have any thoughts on BMW vs Skoda Vrs ?
    Im leaning towards a BMW 320d , 520d 2012 - 2013 model

All have the chain issue.
    So budget to get done or make sure done when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Op, how did you arrive at these choices other than you can buy them for 10k as they are quite different to each other?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Op, how did you arrive at these choices other than you can buy them for 10k as they are quite different to each other?

Well I have never owned a bmw and was always on my list . I know they can be expensive but so can alot of cars, cant keep going for the safe bet . Have been driving a 2liter now a good few years insurance is cheap at €600 fully comprehensive which I'm looking go get more off when I renew it.

A friend just mentioned a skoda I have seen a few nice ones but still prefer the BMW. I'm would like to to spend 10k but I can go up a bit more for the right car , but at the end of the day will lose more then what I pay for car.

There’s no value to be had in Octavia RS at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭roosterman71

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There’s no value to be had in Octavia RS at the moment.

Why is that?

Why is that?

A lot of them were coming from the uk, and with the nox charge at around €2000 (for 2015 and back) from Jan 2020, plus the new VRT bands and VAT now, nobody’s bringing them in.
    The ones that are for sale now are going for relatively big money.

Seat Leon FR is much better value for money IMO.

I am looking up the north aswell for a bmw 520d have been driving manual since I started driving looking at automatic for change.

• Advertisement

If you're looking up north make sure you're factoring in NOx to VRT.

Make sure it's on NI plates of absolute proof that GB plates brought into NI before 2021

Make sure it's on NI plates of absolute proof that GB plates brought into NI before 2021

Thanks will do .

Silly question but Is there a site I can check that on and to get a check on the car to make sure it checks out . Is it the same site as my vehicle ? Just have to put In the northern Ireland reg ?

I just think the spec & xtras is better up the north then what you get here its worth the VRT

I cannot see you getting much value importing with a budget of 10k. The Government have tweaked VRT back in January and realistically most of what you are looking at will need to be priced up North in the region of around 6k when you factor in exchange rates and VRT.

I cannot see you getting much value importing with a budget of 10k. The Government have tweaked VRT back in January and realistically most of what you are looking at will need to be priced up North in the region of around 6k when you factor in exchange rates and VRT.

I reckon possibly less than the 6k.
    NOx on anything in that range gonna be over a grand on top of vrt.

No point importing old diesels

I can go higher just looking at around that price but if see a car that's worth the money I will go higher. I was looking at finance aswell before I go for a mortgage seems to be the way to go .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hi I'm looking at upgrading my car not looking to get finance or loan so have around 10k to spend

Looking at BMW M Sport 320d, 520d or Skoda Vrs
    I have heard the timing chain is meant to be a big problem in the bmw 520

Look out for a 330d instead. Wipe the floor with a vrs.

Look out for a 330d instead. Wipe the floor with a vrs.

What about a 520d ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What about a 520d ?

530d

• Advertisement

530d

Not many decent ones around and looking to cheap tax low friend has a 06 7series but prefer 520d

If the difference in tax between a 520d and 530d concerns you then a BMW is the wrong car to be looking at buying.

If the difference in tax between a 520d and 530d concerns you then a BMW is the wrong car to be looking at buying.

Not that it concerns me I just think why pay high tax when i can pay low tax all my previous cars were high tax , only my car at the moment has low tax of 280 so would rather say around that . Insurance wise doesn't bother me as I'm already paying very low insurance for my age which is fully comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭shnaek

Not that it concerns me I just think why pay high tax when i can pay low tax all my previous cars were high tax , only my car at the moment has low tax of 280 so would rather say around that . Insurance wise doesn't bother me as I'm already paying very low insurance for my age which is fully comprehensive.

2 years now driving a 2012 520D with huge mileage. Only problem I've had was a puncture. I did of course make sure the chain was done before I bought the car, and I got receipts and spoke to the mechanic who did the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Not many decent ones around and looking to cheap tax low friend has a 06 7series but prefer 520d

€280 for a 530d is cheap tax. You're saving €80 a year if you go with a 520d. Over 5 years you will save €400 in tax difference. A tiny fraction of the cost of depreciation. I cannot understand how so many drivers in ireland focus on road tax as the condition for buying.

Wailin wrote: »
    €280 for a 530d is cheap tax. You're saving €80 a year if you go with a 520d. Over 5 years you will save €400 in tax difference. A tiny fraction of the cost of depreciation. I cannot understand how so many drivers in ireland focus on road tax as the condition for buying.

Yes 280 is cheap tax, which I am.paying on a 2.0 already. Tax is pointless anyway doesn't go on fixing the roads thats why many drivers look at prices of tax on cars

Which is why it's called motor tax these days, not road tax. :)

F10 530d is 400 to tax but still small beans on these cars for what you get. I've had 520ds, a 530d and now a 430d. The 520d is a fine car but the 30ds are just better. More powerful, more refined and only slightly worse on fuel. If you can stretch to a 330d/530d then it's worth it but just remember whether it's a 520d or 530d these cars can still be 70k cars to fix or maintain irrespective of what they cost to buy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

My mistake bazz I thought the OP was talking about the G30 rather than F10. €400 for the 530d is more than what I was paying for the 535d. Still very reasonable imo compared to the pre 08 system and a small cost in the overall car ownership spending.

Wailin wrote: »
    My mistake bazz I thought the OP was talking about the G30 rather than F10. €400 for the 530d is more than what I was paying for the 535d. Still very reasonable imo compared to the pre 08 system and a small cost in the overall car ownership spending.

Ah no worries, my old 2015 530d was 390 but they increased them to 400 back in January when they rejigged some of the tax rates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement