Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handgun Magazines

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You can collect mags aplenty in Europe as it is easier for some to do rather than the firearms,but seeing as mags are classified as a firearm component part itself here, it's a rather tricky hobby. in Ireland, hence moot

I thought after that case here with the chap importing the stock and the mags they were ruled to not be component parts?
    Unless they are over the mag cap limit that is, in which case they are because of SI 420.

Open to correction on that though?
    If they are .22 mags, any gunshop I've ever asked will gladly notch and block the mag to 5shots for you.They do it all the time for the Olympic pistol crowd. Maybe if you are buying off the big crowds like Frankonia or the like?But they sure as Hell won't do anything for the CF mags.

More going on CF mags.
    I was looking around for some PMAGs to convert to work with one of my firearms and so far haven't found a shop that will restrict a >10 rounder before shipping, even if I bought the restrictor from them at the same time :P
    Or better still, to lobby to get the dept to accept "German ISPC" rules on "dynamic shooting" IE no "tactical scenarios" or off ground shooting on unstable platforms, loading on station, etc. And to work with the orgs and DOJ/AGS as to what would be acceptable to them. Germany has had a ban on tactical training and combat shooting since 1945 but has the largest growing IPSC contingent in the EU....How's that?

That'd be awesome!
    Any idea where to find specifics of the German IPSC rules?
    Had a look there but couldn't find any handbooks or rulings on them.

Honestly I'll take anything that is a bit more lively than benchrest/gallery.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    I thought after that case here with the chap importing the stock and the mags they were ruled to not be component parts?

Unless they are over the mag cap limit that is, in which case they are because of SI 420.

Open to correction on that though?

I would ASSume that this HC ruling applied to those with licensed firearms and that by importing mags for his licensed firearms,he doesn't need an import cert and paperwork issued by DOJ to do so?
    What explanation are you going to give customs that you have imported say a collection of different AK mags from the former East bloc countries? A collector?Pull the other one mate!:pac:

Again,because of our gun laws,the actual capacity is moot in the EU if you are just collecting the mags.
    So long as you dont have a firing firearm to fit them into,you are good to go. IOW you can have a collection of 20mm Orlikeon cannon mags,aK mags and own a HK platform rifle, but god help you if you have some std Bundeswehr 20 round mags...Then you have a CAT A firearm and are nicked!

More going on CF mags.
    I was looking around for some PMAGs to convert to work with one of my firearms and so far haven't found a shop that will restrict a >10 rounder before shipping, even if I bought the restrictor from them at the same time :P

Won't happen anymore! You'll get a physical 10 round mag or nothing at all. The 20 round bodies, springs and followers are all classified as CAT A . And because of the movement of such thru the EU and you being a civvie. They will not sell,ship or otherwise handle. Brownells Germany doesn't even have them in stock anymore.
    That'd be awesome!
    Any idea where to find specifics of the German IPSC rules?
    Had a look there but couldn't find any handbooks or rulings on them.

Well, you could ask "the very old boys and soon to be dinosaurs club" of the IPSC shooters in the Republic, who toddle off to NI to go training and shoot up there.
    I'm sure you'll get just as pleasant a reception on that query on FB s one of our members got about the status on the sport in the ROI and restarting under the German rulebook:(
    OW don't waste your time with the IPSC scene here...what's left of it.

Be better off getting a new org started here, sit down with AGS and the Dept
    and try and hammer out a discipline that does not violate their perception of "combat training" under the legislation, based off the German IPSC rulebook iE create a new discipline from scratch, maybe based on the" Finnish brutality" matches? Its been over a decade now,and the people who created that legislation inboth Dept,dail and gardai are long gone.so everyone is starting on a clean slate, plus while he is no great friend of gun owners, you do have a chief commissioner who has come from an armed police force and is aufe with dynamic sport shooting and actual combat training so you'd probably get a fairer interpertation and hearing than previously.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Well, you could ask "the very old boys and soon to be dinosaurs club" of the IPSC shooters in the Republic, who toddle off to NI to go training and shoot up there.
    I'm sure you'll get just as pleasant a reception on that query on FB s one of our members got about the status on the sport in the ROI and restarting under the German rulebook:(
    OW don't waste your time with the IPSC scene here...what's left of it.

Yeah you're probably right on that one.
    Still waiting for a reply from my last query to them all of 3 years ago ;)
    Be better off getting a new org started here, sit down with AGS and the Dept
    and try and hammer out a discipline that does not violate their perception of "combat training" under the legislation, based off the German IPSC rulebook iE create a new discipline from scratch, maybe based on the" Finnish brutality" matches? Its been over a decade now,and the people who created that legislation inboth Dept,dail and gardai are long gone.so everyone is starting on a clean slate, plus while he is no great friend of gun owners, you do have a chief commissioner who has come from an armed police force and is aufe with dynamic sport shooting and actual combat training so you'd probably get a fairer interpertation and hearing than previously.

I was actually thinking of the very same brutality style matches :D

So how would one go about getting such a meeting, and with whom?
    Presumably a zoom meeting given the present circumstances but I'm very curious about going down this path honestly.

I know several folks who are licencees and just aren't fans of the current competitions on offer(pre covid that is), but would certainly be up for some more active ones if a concrete definition and consensus could be gotten from the PTB.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Seaniin_og

otommyboy it'd be brilliant if we could get something like this sorted. I've been following this board for a few years without an account and was always annoyed by the lack of any IPSC-like competitions in Ireland. Here's hoping the government throw us a bone and let us own centrefire semis for competition shooting.

A journey of ten thousand miles starts with one step.
    Why not fire off an email pr make a phone call to the chief range inspector in the DOJ,who is a really helpful guy IMO and ask him for a meet or even to have a look at the Finnish/swiss brutality matches and ask if they would violate anything in Irish legislation,and whats the possibility of getting a round table meet of all parties interested in starting an " Irish dynamic discipline" with the PTB without falling fall of the law for all 3ypes of firearms?:)

LATER.
    a quick look on the German Rifle Assoc got me this handy info on the difference between police/military combat training and IPSC/dynamic shooting sports for basic starters;
    Police /military combat firearms training IPSC and other dynamic disciplines

Shooting while moving YES NO

Unknown course of fire and parcours YES NO

Pop up Targets YES NO

Use of realistic Man targets YES NO

Alternative actions/drills YES NO

Shooting from protective cover YES NO

Team stacking drill/covering arcs of fire YES NO

Emergency Vehicle debus drills with a team covering arcs of fire YES NO

Opening of doors,windows etc and preparing to fire YES NO
    Shooting off ground on unstable platforms YES NO

Speed clearing of scenario /parcours under time pressure NO Y ES

Purpose of the exercise
    Police IPSC
    Armed response using deadly force to end hostile actions and protection of innocent 3rd parties Shoot all targets in the shortest possible time.

Success of the exercise
    Police

Keep firing until the desired effect is achieved IPSC shooters continue on under time
    pressure to another target if the target is
    missed.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

I'm a student at the moment so i'm not really in a position to get a licence yet but i definitely plan to sooner or later. kinda sad that not many young people are getting into the sport, at least not many that i know of

How complicated would it be for the shooting orgs in ireland to get a meeting like that set up? would be good if the people who booed the reloading legislation and cowboy action shooting didnt come to represent us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Seaniin_og wrote: »
    Here's hoping the government throw us a bone and let us own centrefire semis for competition shooting.

Semi-auto centrefire rifles are allowed for competitions on a restricted licence.

How complicated would it be for the shooting orgs in ireland to get a meeting like that set up? would be good if the people who booed the reloading legislation and cowboy action shooting didnt come to represent us.

Keep them out of it, TBH,start an org that wants to do this and go for it shin fein as a new group of individuals. There will be too much messing and sabotage and fuddism if and where you to get anyone else involved.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Semi-auto centrefire rifles are allowed for competitions on a restricted licence.

Yes i know but most of the clubs in the country only have m1 carbine competitions i don't see anything other than those happening. I may be wrong on that one though. What i meant by that post was i was hoping that modern sporting rifles would be more common in Ireland. I was hoping that we'd end up similar to france or other countries on the continent that let people own semis and compete in ipsc.

• Advertisement

Bullseye 360 up in the Midlands.
    An Riocht in Kerry do a modified "Irish" version of the practical rifle. Both have MSR slots.:)
    Don't expect MSR's to become a mass thing here. the restricted category is offputting to many. As is the rumblings of bans if they become too common and too quick,like with the CF pistols.

Bullseye 360 up in the Midlands.
    An Riocht in Kerry do a modified "Irish" version of the practical rifle. Both have MSR slots.:)
    Don't expect MSR's to become a mass thing here. the restricted category is offputting to many. As is the rumblings of bans if they become too common and too quick,like with the CF pistols.

Never understood the weird mindset of the government banning the CF pistols, if you can trust a man with a .22 pistol why cant he own a Centrefire?

Never understood the weird mindset of the government banning the CF pistols, if you can trust a man with a .22 pistol why cant he own a Centrefire?

Ask that slimey FF creature from Louth who was minister for justice at the time,as to why he decided a murder of an innocent man in Limerick with an illegally held pistol ,on the order of a coke headed drug baron,was a justifiable and reasonable response to punish a law abiding majority of licensed gun owners who had absolutely nothing to do with this event! Could maybe understand if it had been a licensed handgun.But this was just sheer nasty political opportunism by a nasty little man with an agenda.

Ask that slimey FF creature from Louth who was minister for justice at the time,as to why he decided a murder of an innocent man in Limerick with an illegally held pistol ,on the order of a coke headed drug baron,was a justifiable and reasonable response to punish a law abiding majority of licensed gun owners who had absolutely nothing to do with this event! Could maybe understand if it had been a licensed handgun.But this was just sheer nasty political opportunism by a nasty little man with an agenda.
    didn't know that was the reason for the ban, shame that its still in effect today

As is the Temp custody order 1972 courtsey of another nasty little man called Desmond O Malley.
    Seems to be Fianna Failure types that give us our worst
    firearms legislation. O'Malley, TCO 1972 O'Dea/Burke, offensive weapons act 1990 Aherne CJA misc provisions act 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

freddieot wrote: »
    Just reading the other posts now that crossed with mine. Exactly, the Guards can say what they like, go by the SI. It's the law that counts not local opinions or policy.

I was told all .22 handguns were restricted when I applied for mine, anyone can have an opinion, but again it's always the law that counts.

A chief super sent me a letter with "recommendations ", lets call them but really the way they were written by the Crime prevention officer, indicated that they were laws, so I looked up the so called "recommendations", and could find no basis in the legislation for them so I politely wrote an email back quoting their indicated legislation and copied it into the reply and asked where these requests were in the legislation? They were not there.

Never ask a Garda about the law, most havent a clue. If they did the biggest industry in Ireland would be building and maintaining prisons for all the chancers caught out.

If in doubt Google it out.

Advertisement