Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy the EV version?

• 12-04-2021 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

hi All

Just looking for some opinions if possible please.

I am buying a peugeot 3008 SUV and had planned on ordering later this year and having a 221 reg, was going to get the 1.2 petrol

However i was also looking at the new 225bhp hybrid petrol , its about 5k dearer but that will be 7.5k after June as the SEAI grant is dropping from 5000 euro to 2500 , with that much of a gap then i would buy the petrol but im tempted to take the plunge now and get the hybrid

I hate the thought of getting a 211 now and only having 2 months before the 212 reg comes out , is there much difference in resale value between 211 and 212 ?

Also i know i wont make back the difference of 5k in the cars but i would hope to save 2000 euro on petrol over the 5 years and a few quid in tax and also the hybrid should hold resale value a bit better than petrol i think ?

Basically just looking to see what people would do in my situation....

Mileage is generally few trips to town per week and weekend driving which may be small or 150km - i would estimate 10,000 miles per year

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I may as well be the first to suggest "Have you considered going full electric?". From what you've said it sounds like you do very little mileage daily and overall. 150km range is easily handled by any new EV these days.

The Hybrid version you speak of is €38k. €38k is SUV EV money. A new Kia eNiro is €38k (~350km range), the eSoul similarly. The VW ID.4 is available from €34k (about 280km range). The MG ZS is available for €28-32k with ~210km range. The Skoda Enyaq comes out this summer for €39k with ~340km range.

Regarding resale of a 211 vs 212, it wouldn't make a difference to me, or most I assume.

I think saving €2000 on petrol over 5 years seems ambitious. That's €30 a month and you drive very little to begin with. At €1.40/litre driving 16k km a year @ 4.4l/100km you'd be talking about €1000 a year on fuel. An EV would cost about €200 a year on electricity if charged at home. Something to consider when doing the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Is this a plug in hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You'd be mad not to at least look at the EV version of that car.

The 3008 only has I believe around 45 Kwh of usable energy, much better off, in my opinion, looking at the E-Niro/E-Soul instead because they have 64 Kwh of usable energy, that's a lot more than the Peugeot electrics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

hi All

I am buying a peugeot 3008 SUV and had planned on ordering later this year and having a 221 reg, was going to get the 1.2 petrol

However i was also looking at the new 225bhp hybrid petrol , its about 5k dearer but that will be 7.5k after June as the SEAI grant is dropping from 5000 euro to 2500 , with that much of a gap then i would buy the petrol but im tempted to take the plunge now and get the hybrid

I hate the thought of getting a 211 now and only having 2 months before the 212 reg comes out , is there much difference in resale value between 211 and 212 ?

Also i know i wont make back the difference of 5k in the cars but i would hope to save 2000 euro on petrol over the 5 years and a few quid in tax and also the hybrid should hold resale value a bit better than petrol i think ?

Mileage is generally few trips to town per week and weekend driving which may be small or 150km - i would estimate 10,000 miles per year

I suggest you read through a number of threads on this page to see real user feedback on EV, you should also check out YT videos from Bjorn (just google it).
    You are looking at a big financial investment so well worth the research.

If I can give you some advice, don't trust EV car salesmen, they are clueless and you will get proper information here, ignore manufacturer range and charging speeds, check YT instead. If you are a homeowner with decent space also think about PV install as there is serious PV potential in Ireland, I've already put 25% into our Leaf after school runs this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Birka

The 3008 only has I believe around 45 Kwh of usable energy, much better off, in my opinion, looking at the E-Niro/E-Soul instead because they have 64 Kwh of usable energy, that's a lot more than the Peugeot electrics.

The OP is looking at the 3008 Hybrid2 so its only got an 11.8 kWh battery. No full EV version available unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just some info from 'the dark side': my wife has that engine (1.2 petrol) in the larger Peugeot 5008. It's honestly a wonder - despite its titchy size and lack of cylinders (3!), it has no problem whatsoever hauling a big beast of a car around - I was amazed when I test drove it. Pretty miserly on the go go juice too - she's basically spending the same on petrol as her previous Mazda 5 1.8 petrol, despite a ~doubling in mileage for family reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    You'd be mad not to at least look at the EV version of that car.

There isn't one :p

Agree with slave1 though. For that sort of money you'd almost get a decent range pure EV crossover like an eNiro. How much is the cheapest ID.4?

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    There isn't one :p

Agree with slave1 though. For that sort of money you'd almost get a decent range pure EV crossover like an eNiro. How much is the cheapest ID.4?

€34500 odd for "350km", but that'd be more like 270km tbh. All in my post (2nd post on this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

hi All

Level Description Fuel Type Speed WLTP Co2 Tax Band Tax RRSP

Active 1.2 PureTech 130bhp Petrol 6-Speed 141 C1 €270 €32,075

Allure 1.2 PureTech 130bhp Auto Petrol 8-Speed 146 C1 €270 €36,775

Allure HYBRID2 PHEV 225bhp Petrol Hybrid 8-Speed 31 A1 €140 €38,420**
    ** Includes SEAI grant

You would really want to compare it to the auto version, I know I would not look at a manual car now and it would definitely have to have a plug.

As for petrol savings hard to judge, it will probably do 50 km easy enough, only guessing on mpg but some one here got 5.5 l/100 km with a kia niro petrol only mode but I imagine it would be around the same, the outlander is 7 l/100km

If you have 2 cars you should definitely look at some of the electric cars.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

thanks but i like the 3008 so will go with the 1.2 petrol

Appreciate the responses

Advertisement