Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WWE Wrestlemania 37- April 10th and 11th (Contains Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Omackeral wrote: »
    Please don't leave us hanging too long.

For now put me down as temporary **** but that might change in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Someone on twitter suggested that Orton should've RKO'd the fiend when he jumped off the box at the start and pinned him, probably would've been a better finish to be fair :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

2 poor nights full of useless filler matches. Here's how my 1 night version would have looked

Bobby Lashley vs Drew McIntyre
    Cesaro vs Seth Rollins
    Braun Strowman vs Shane McMahon
    AJ & Omos vs New Day
    Rhea Ripley vs Asuka
    Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn
    Sheamus vs Riddle
    Bianca Belair vs Sasha Banks
    Roman Reigns vs Edge vs Daniel Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Ok..... Well that's interesting.
    I randomly remembered what Eric Young said about Sanity members not being able to wrestle for TV. I now see it :pac:

Like I've been watching this match looking out for things. Kinda don't want to say now to not spoil anyone's viewing :(

Do tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

How long until Bad Bunny and Logan Paul are in the hall of fame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ShaneU wrote: »
    How long until Bad Bunny and Logan Paul are in the hall of fame?

TBF when it comes to entertainers I'd have no issue with Bunny going in.

He was very good last night, and from all accounts he is a genuine fan who has total respect for the business. He's also a proper superstar so will have got plenty of eye balls so it was a great call to get him involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I knew they wouldn't let me down with the Fiend's antics. He truly is the gold standard for wrestlecrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ah now, play nice Omack.

Nah, I need a heel turn, my act is getting stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So My take-aways from Mania.

Fans being back was a big deal, so great to here a few chants and see teh spectacle that is a Mania.

That said, it felt really half assed from a presentation POV. Its Mania, they usually go all out..... it felt half assed from WWE, they surely could have gone that bit further with OTT entrances and such. Beyond the stupid 3D graphics (which we get on Raw and Smackdown, which looks cheap BTW), some extra fireworks and some live performers, it just wasnt impressed by the spectacle this year, which is a shame because they should have went all out.

What the fcuk did Titus and Hogan do? what was the point of them? Pointless.

Piped in cheers? This is the answer ? It shows how little confidence they have in the talent to get reactions.

But thats all a by-product of how the product is. These fans wanted to cheer, they wanted to be vocal, but its hard for a fan to enjoy it when the product is in the toilet. I was watching Takeover Brooklyn and the crowd were so hot .... because they cared. And why dont the fans care? Because the stories they have been telling are gick. Asuka vs Rhea just because, Sheamus vs Riddle over a scooter, Zayn vs Owens over a dumb ficticous movie..... its all tripe. Poor build equals less fans investment..... which means no matter how good the match is, fans wont care. The reason why the SD main event was so enjoyable was because I had some reason to care.

Lashley vs Drew was ok. Both men worked hard, but the build was so weak and last minute, its hard to fully care. Had it had a better build, it may have come off better. Felt the finish was the wrong one.... Id have had MVP interfer more obviously to protect Drew in defeat......like a cane shot when the ref was distracted....have Drew pass out sucked and made him look weak and Drew deserved more....he carried teh company during the worst period of 2020 and he may be now negatively associated with the pandemic by Vince. He deserved better.

Raw Tag team match was weird....Omos and AJ were booked like a face team...why? another feud that suffered from a poor build.

Shane v Strowman....a match no one wanted, was just meh. No interest in the obligatory Shane death bump in 2021, esp in a feud built around the word stupid against a man whos so damaged as a character, Ive lost all interest. Couldnt care.

Rollins v Cesaro was fun, one of the better feuds (a low bar right). I liked Seths corkscrew splash and Cesaros counter to the stomp. A fun match, nothing crazy though.

Tag turmoil match was gick.....WWE need to cull the womens divison. Brooke, Tamina, Nattie, Rose (what a fall from grace a year prior), Lana, Naomi, Billie Kay (who cant wrestle) ..all should go. All stale. Whos idea was it to showcase Tamina Snuka on 2 nights in 2021.

Belair vs Sasha was fine. Dodnt feel like a main event though. Both women have star potential, no doubt, and they worked hard, but teh build again was poor and the match didnt have enough heat or juice to make me care much despite each womens best efforts.

Night 2 was better by default.

Fiend vs Orton has been the the best build outside of the Main Event..... let that sink in......It was all types of awful and Ive no idea why they persist with this bollox. It entertains no one. What even was the finish about... answers on a post card.

Zayn vs Owens was fun, but short. Owens is proof the fans want to get behind someone passionate, he whipped the fans into a frenzy for the first time. Happy to see Paul take a stunner too.

Riddle vs Sheamus nearly stole the show. Loved their match. Forget the awful build and you can see these guys have the ability to be fantastic. they eventually won the fans over, but it was over by then.

Big E vs Apollo was rushed. Felt like it was over by the time it got going. I love how no one knew who the "mystery man " was..... WWE gotta insult the viewer.

Main Event was very enjoyable, and the right man won IMO. I shall look forward to debating this with LOB. A fun, 99 esque WWE main event.

Over all, poor build, poor story telling, poor presentation some poor booking ruined this PPV. It could have been great, but it fell short on what it could have been.

AEW cant deliver this spectacle but it has soul and rewards the viewer. WWE does plenty right, but the wrongs massively out weigh the positives.

WWE needs crowds back so fans can react live to the product, but WWE is going further away from that as evidenced by the piped in crowd noise.....things are getting worse, not better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm happy Roman won. He's the final boss now, and as much as I love Edge and Bryan, neither gets the level of rub off beating him that a Big E, for example, would. A heel of that level should be used to elevate a babyface to a new level.

The women's division created new stars this weekend in Bianca and Rhea. A new generation coming in, by beating the older one.

Roman losing should do the same imo. Bryan and Edge are not those people.

The Bray stuff is the type of stuff I enjoy but it feels like the idea on paper was ok, but the execution was poor. Randy in particular was an afterthought in his own feud.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm happy Roman won. He's the final boss now, and as much as I love Edge and Bryan, neither gets the level of rub off beating him that a Big E, for example, would. A heel of that level should be used to elevate a babyface to a new level.

The women's division created new stars this weekend in Bianca and Rhea. A new generation coming in, by beating the older one.

Roman losing should do the same imo. Bryan and Edge are not those people.

The Bray stuff is the type of stuff I enjoy but it feels like the idea on paper was ok, but the execution was poor. Randy in particular was an afterthought in his own feud.

I agree that Roman is the guy... for me the company should have its top guy as champion and Edge and Bryan arent the top guy. Roman is and by pinning both Edge and Bryan, hes even bigger. Right call for me.

I disagree that Belair and Ripley are made stars yet. Both wins for me were hollow due to the awful builds. Belair has been kept strong and is closer to getting their by main eventing and her Rumble win, but neither have had the glass ceiling smasher moment yet . Ripley is way off. Hes not hot enough yet.... beating Asuka hasnt meant much because Asukas reign was never presented as much. They are trying to make them stars but the execution is falling short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I thought night 2 was marginally better.

The expectation when Bayley's music hit only for the Bellas to answer the call was quite something. Now that's sh1thousing 101. I recall a rumour that the Bellas want another run and I sincerely hope it's bollox.

Tamina, Natalya, Shayna and Jax actually put something passable on. That was the biggest shock of the night for me.

My take on the finish to Fiend and Orton is that it might be the beginning of the end for the character. I'm guessing Alexa ends up depowering The Fiend and it results in another gimmick shift.

Owens/Sami, Big E/Apollo and Sheamus/Riddle all felt like short and snappy matches and they were entertaining. The problem is that I just didn't feel particularly invested in any of them. Big E and Apollo was the best built and even then I'd hardly call it compelling stuff, but I'm liking the direction of Apollo all the same.

Ripley and Asuka....well I don't have to say I'm an Asuka fan and I've already said my piece on how Vince has handled her. I get Ripley going over was the "right" thing to do but Asuka is still left without an WM moment of her own. A win here and you could have at least said ok, she's had a solid year culminating with a win at Mania so if she lost the belt on Raw then whatever, it doesn't negate the year she's had. I know some will say Asuka didn't need a win at Mania but I would argue that neither did Roman yet he got the exclamation point on a strong year, while she didn't. Her legacy is going to be the WWE PR machine listing off all her accolades when they need to, even though she was never presented as THE number 1 wrestler in the division. I hope she's going on a break now for awhile, maybe then they'll realise to appreciate her.

I have no real opinion on the main event, from a story point of view it feels like the middle act in a story which belongs to Roman Reigns. The Main Event of Mania shouldn't be a middle act so I guess we'll just have to wait and see where it goes.

Interesting times anyway, it feels like things have been moved into place for a number of people to step up but whether it happens and who is involved I don't have any particular ideas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My views on night 2 are the same as night 1. Build was awful but the in ring work was decent.

The wrestlers tried so hard to offer up a big fight feel in all matches. Other than Orton Fiend that was shockingly poor. The main event was good fun. Overall better than night 1.

But again the biggest take away is where does WWE go from here. Circling the drain for another 12 months.

Remember this is the company who less than 12 months ago booked Otis as MITB winner as it was funny. And Otis didn’t even make mania this year. Vince shouldn’t have the final say anymore, it’s no longer fun to have an auld maniac running all.

I agree with the previous posts that Reigns is the big boss that needs to be defeated and big E should be the one to beat him. But I have no faith in Vince doing that even tho the storyline is there waiting for him.

At this stage not only does the fans deserve better but so does the talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well they were clearly booing Hogan and cheering Titus.

Bray healing isn't a surprise considering he did come back from the dead. Also better he recover from the burns now and get it over with.
    This is an example of how they make the show for the at home audience. could imagine seeing it live and someone wheeling in that big box and setting everything up, instead of it mysteriously appearing.
    So was that Alexa turning on Bray or not? Hard to tell.

Tamina/Nia. Finally the 2 we always wanted....to leave.
    Trying to cut the swearing seems redundant since they were just pumping in "Holy sh!t" chants for Alexa.
    I was wodnering why they stood watching Nia, but then we see that so often in matches, I won't blame them too much.
    Preferred Nia/Shayna to win. Not because I'm a big fan but means we might have a better team beat them.
    Not sure about teh canned Tamina chants. i mean where would they even get those?

With Zayn/Ownes next, I can only assume they decided to get the lesser matches out of the way first.
    And that was a shorter match. guess the tag match got longer since they're much slower at getting to spots.
    So the whole point of Logan was to take a stunner?

RVD miss his cue?
    RVD rolling papers.

That botch from Sheamus is probably a good thing since Riddle would've been kicking out.
    The kick busted Rddle open.
    Happy Sheamus won, though wonder if riddle is getting punished for that backstage segment with Asuka.
    Do any superstars worry about wrestling Riddle in case he's in no shape.

I know it would only take a short while but working Bunny's match into the tour announcement was smart. Especially if that was the first announcement.

As much as I would've liked Big E to win, it makes sense for Apollo to win, especially now they actually have something for him to do and they're using him well enough.
    Interference from Baba O'Riley keeps Big E looking strong.

If that's an example of what that band are like to listen to live, safe to say I would never go.
    A Rhea win would be grand if there had been a build, but it just once again shows how they don't know what to do with Asuka.

Bellas getting booed for attacking Bayley, as should be the case.

wasn't sure who would win the Reigns match but was thinking it would be Reigns.
    Though technically didn't Edge pin Bryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I really can't see Ripley lasting long as a champion. Raw has Flair and she'll take that title off her at some point, and if not, it'll be a returning Becky. I'd say new champion by Summerslam at the least. Bianca could go on a longer run though, as neither Sasha or Bayley really need the title, I'd imagine Bayley will be her next feud surely. For Asuka, I'm kind of thinking that with Io Shirai losing, she'll come up to Raw and maybe join Asuka in a tag team in a rehash for Asuka and Kairi Sane.

On the mens side, I think Roman holds til at least Summerslam, with maybe a title defense against Cesaro at one of the in between feuds and Edge and Bryan can face each other. How long he holds it after that, i don't know, I kind of feel like someone has to beat him in front of a giant audience to get the full moment and rub from that. The head of the table gimmick will stretch so far, particularly once Jimmy Uso returns, but I feel like they need The Rock to return to face him at WM next year to get the perfect end result for that. Maybe Edge even wins MITB and can cash it on on Raw if they want to give him a title. I'm sort of expecting a face champion there at Summerslam as I really don't think they'll hold Kross in NXT for long and he's in a title push once he debuts most likely (or should be anyway). Raw seems more talent deficient on their side (probably cos their booking is crap) but face wise, you're only really looking at Drew as a credible threat atm. Maybe Keith Lee comes back and they push him right but it's slim pickings there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So how many results will be undone on Raw or Smackdown?
    Knowing our luck we'll get a women's tag title rematch.

titan18 wrote: »
    I really can't see Ripley lasting long as a champion. Raw has Flair and she'll take that title off her at some point, and if not, it'll be a returning Becky. I'd say new champion by Summerslam at the least. Bianca could go on a longer run though, as neither Sasha or Bayley really need the title, I'd imagine Bayley will be her next feud surely. For Asuka, I'm kind of thinking that with Io Shirai losing, she'll come up to Raw and maybe join Asuka in a tag team in a rehash for Asuka and Kairi Sane.

Rhea hasnt had the best of starts to the main roster, but she can recover if booked smart. Whether that happens is another thing.

Her problem right now is that shes not connecting yet, Ive no reason to care. She had all the momentum last year and they missed the boat, and it damaged her as a result. Shes done little in the year besides the Rumble, which again she feel short. Then she winds up and Raw and is in a rushed feud with Asuka.

With no real build, the match fell flat despite the best efforts of both women. But it happened and shes now champion. Shes not a star yet but with some character development/rehab, she can be a star. But lets look at her playing field.

Nia Jax, Baszler, Asuka, Lacey, Peyton, Dana Brooke, Mandy rose.....the talent she can face beyond Baszler and Asuka is limited. A feud with Charlotte would be her best bet, but she needs to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

A sad end to Edge's career agreeing to be pinned like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Do not slap leg when kicking!

Eyt_Nm7XIAAcHV_?format=png&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Rhea hasnt had the best of starts to the main roster, but she can recover if booked smart. Whether that happens is another thing.

Her problem right now is that shes not connecting yet, Ive no reason to care. She had all the momentum last year and they missed the boat, and it damaged her as a result. Shes done little in the year besides the Rumble, which again she feel short. Then she winds up and Raw and is in a rushed feud with Asuka.

With no real build, the match fell flat despite the best efforts of both women. But it happened and shes now champion. Shes not a star yet but with some character development/rehab, she can be a star. But lets look at her playing field.

Nia Jax, Baszler, Asuka, Lacey, Peyton, Dana Brooke, Mandy rose.....the talent she can face beyond Baszler and Asuka is limited. A feud with Charlotte would be her best bet, but she needs to go over.

Ya, the talent level there is meh. I do prefer Asuka, to me Rhea is same as Baszler in that in-ring they're good, but character wise, I'm just meh. I think there's a lot better in NXT who'll eventually end up on Raw/Smackdown. I could see Io Shirai jumping soon now without the title, and then obviously Charlotte and a Becky return will always be at the top if they're there.

• Advertisement

showpony1 wrote: »
    A sad end to Edge's career agreeing to be pinned like that.

Always put someone over on your way out, esp a younger dude.

If more legends did this the company would have a few more stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

After watching the two nights I really do not have any desire to watch WWE anytime soon (or ever again? Haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

Always put someone over on your way out, esp a younger dude.

If more legends did this the company would have a few more stars.

his carcass being put over Bryan for a double pin makes him look pathetic - I'm shocked they agreed to it.

his carcass being put over Bryan for a double pin makes him look pathetic - I'm shocked they agreed to it.

How do you know it wasnt his idea?

I felt it was a great visual which will help Roman going forward. (If WWE follow it up right).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

After watching the two nights I really do not have any desire to watch WWE anytime soon (or ever again? Haha)

Same I tried to watch parts of it but I just can't stomach how over-produced and sanitised everything in WWE is. Those graphics for entrances, Michael Cole, Braun doing it for stupid people etc. It seems like the majority of WWE matches have mid-match monologues these days.

It all sucks. The Fiends wrestlecrap is chef's kiss though, I'm here for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is Edge retiring again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Edge isn't or never really was this heroic character, he is a slimeball that was obsessed with being a champion. He was never really good enough to be the guy on his own and always used unscrupulous methods.

With Bryan being inserted into the match , Edge has an excuse to become unhinged, I assume he will and revert back to the Edge of old.

They can't blame the WrestleMania international crowd for all the Boo'ing of HH and the Bella's this last weekend as it was all Yanks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not sure if to feel sorry or happy for those few people who missed the fiend match because the box (or box like structure as cole called it) was blocking there view

• Advertisement

So will the Wrestlemania Backlash PPV just be a rerun of most of these matches.

Advertisement