Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's just a bunch of feet playing with my mind

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Post KBC 10K

The 10K took the wind out of my sails. I don't mean attitude wise, I mean physically. I just couldn't function properly after it.

2nd Nov - 4th Nov

Attempted to do the 30 mins for 30 days of Nov. Seemed easy enough to do. Lasted 3 days. By the 3rd day I had to stop and again spent the rest of the week trying to recover.

10th Nov

Decided to try take it easy and take all the hills out so tried a different, flatter route. Lasted 2 miles avg pace of 12:30 and couldn't carry on any longer.

13th Nov

Was feeling a bit more with it today so tried the same route as Mon. Started off feeling back to normal and so tested the waters when I got to the park. I'd no watch to measure anything so used lampposts as markers, speed up for 3 lampposts and rest for 1. 2 miles in total was as much as I could do.

14th Nov

More of the same, with Womble Hill finally putting a stop to it all.

Back to the doctor this morning who took bloods and is sending me for a few tests.

The great news is that in the meantime I'll be armed with a new fancy inhaler to help my poor feeble lungs which I'm promised will have me back motoring.

The gas thing is only for this forum I would have put it down to age and not bothered doing anything about it, but reading some of the logs here I know that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. I've a bit of room to improve left in me yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hope the new inhaler works and that you get some answers from the bloods test. It seems like something more than post-10k fatigue reading the above.

Thanks ReeReeg. I tried again yesterday and lasted 10 minutes and my lungs burned for the rest of the day :o. I wish everyone would just stop running until I get it sorted because I'm so jealous :D

No running for a while. Its an overactive thyroid causing the fatigue and high heart rate so no matter what else comes back that's a pause here until the New Year at least apparently :(. The legs will be walked off the dog :D

I couldn't leave it there though without saying thanks so much again to everyone for all the help, advice and encouragement over the last while and to those who organised the TTs. Even though I'm the poorest performer around here by a long shot :D everyone was so welcoming and encouraging.

I'll be back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No running for a while. Its an overactive thyroid causing the fatigue and high heart rate so no matter what else comes back that's a pause here until the New Year at least apparently :(. The legs will be walked off the dog :D

I couldn't leave it there though without saying thanks so much again to everyone for all the help, advice and encouragement over the last while and to those who organised the TTs. Even though I'm the poorest performer around here by a long shot :D everyone was so welcoming and encouraging.

Ah $hit, sorry to read this!! Get yourself sorted & come back when things are under control with the thyroid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Wottle

Great to have a quick diagnosis. I've the opposite, an underactive Thyroid and it's taken a little bit of time to get the med dosage right but now I'm back running as well as ever, be patient and keep the faith.

Sorry to read this, but at least you know what it is now and can tackle it. Hopefully the walks will fill the need somewhat! Good luck and hope you can get back to running soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry to read this, I hope you get the best of care and advice while you figure out what the diagnosis means for you. Fingers crossed you'll be back running and logging in 2021 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Oh, no! Fingers crossed you get sorted quickly. Come back when you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

So sorry to hear this, that's exactly the diagnosis I had 4 years ago. Let me know how you're getting on - did your GP put you on meds? How high was your TSH? How are you feeling??? It will be a while before should run again, possibly months so mind yourself in the meantime. Lots of other things can help like stress reduction, improve sleep, no alcohol, reduce/cut out sugar etc etc. Wishing you the best in your recovery.

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear this, that's exactly the diagnosis I had 4 years ago. Let me know how you're getting on - did your GP put you on meds? How high was your TSH? How are you feeling??? It will be a while before should run again, possibly months so mind yourself in the meantime. Lots of other things can help like stress reduction, improve sleep, no alcohol, reduce/cut out sugar etc etc. Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Ah you're very kind AGYR. I do remember you being diagnosed. I hope you're on the mend now. And the fact you're back running gives me hope :D

I feel fantastic now. I felt absolutely horrendous and it took a couple of increases of the meds but I feel better than I have in a long time.

The day the doc told me I wasn't allowed run I got a medal in the post for the 10k :pac: I didn't even know they were giving medals for it and I thought the universe was taking the mick :D

I don't know what the TSH levels are, I never asked. I just get the bloods taken and go in case he charges me for a consultation!

He said I could try gentle jogging at the beginning of Jan, so went out on Sat. Was delighted with life till I got back and looked at the heart rate. So it's going to have to be even gentler again :o. I've to go back again next week for more bloods so I'll get an update on things then and I'll ask about the levels!

I'm alcohol free since the 10k plan (except for a glass here or there over Christmas :o ), I eat the most horrendous soup every day made up of everything that's supposed to help a thyroid but be OK for the BP, (which is still a problem) and I am sleeping better than I have in a long time. I've spent the time walking the dog measuring/scouting out new routes for when I'm going again. So it's OK.

I can get back I know I can. If I managed to stay alive for the 5K TT I can fix this and get back out :D.

Probably more information than you bargained for there :D but thanks again for asking and any advice or tips particularly on how you got back out would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ah you're very kind AGYR. I do remember you being diagnosed. I hope you're on the mend now. And the fact you're back running gives me hope :D

I feel fantastic now. I felt absolutely horrendous and it took a couple of increases of the meds but I feel better than I have in a long time.

The day the doc told me I wasn't allowed run I got a medal in the post for the 10k :pac: I didn't even know they were giving medals for it and I thought the universe was taking the mick :D

I don't know what the TSH levels are, I never asked. I just get the bloods taken and go in case he charges me for a consultation!

He said I could try gentle jogging at the beginning of Jan, so went out on Sat. Was delighted with life till I got back and looked at the heart rate. So it's going to have to be even gentler again :o. I've to go back again next week for more bloods so I'll get an update on things then and I'll ask about the levels!

I'm alcohol free since the 10k plan (except for a glass here or there over Christmas :o ), I eat the most horrendous soup every day made up of everything that's supposed to help a thyroid but be OK for the BP, (which is still a problem) and I am sleeping better than I have in a long time. I've spent the time walking the dog measuring/scouting out new routes for when I'm going again. So it's OK.

I can get back I know I can. If I managed to stay alive for the 5K TT I can fix this and get back out :D.

Probably more information than you bargained for there :D but thanks again for asking and any advice or tips particularly on how you got back out would be great!

Jesus thats rough. I have an underactive thyroid and its nothing like so troublesome...

Bloody thyroid!! It's like a weird goldilocks story in here... This one is tooooo fast... This one is tooooo slow :D

Have you had it long Skyblue? Do you have to approach running any differently to anyone else?

It'll all settle I know it will. Its only been a month or so. I'm full of hopes that the next bloods will be good

Bloody thyroid!! It's like a weird goldilocks story in here... This one is tooooo fast... This one is tooooo slow :D

Have you had it long Skyblue? Do you have to approach running any differently to anyone else?

It'll all settle I know it will. Its only been a month or so. I'm full of hopes that the next bloods will be good

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago, long before I started running. It hasn't affected me in any way beyond having to take the meds daily...

Underactive is quite different to overactive, they have it much easier than us :rolleyes:.

If there's one piece of advice I can give you it's don't run for at least 6 months, walk yes, yoga yes, even some low impact weight training but nothing that will raise your HR. I was coming to the end of Rotterdam marathon training when it happened to me and I couldn't do the marathon, I was (like you) determined to get back running as quickly as possible and sure I bought a bike and went off doing adventure races :D. I was told on diagnosis that I would either come off the meds after 18 months or I'd be on them for life. After 18 months I was still on them but part of me knew it's because I wasn't honest with my consultant (or myself) and if I'd followed sensible advice I'd have recovered quicker. I'm off the meds only since April of this year, 4 years later!!!

I know you want to get back running quickly but give you body a chance to recover, it's telling you you're doing too much, it wants you to take a break. I didn't listen, you might be more sensible :D.

Definitely ask what your levels are, did they do an antibody test? Did he tell you what kind of overactive thyroid disease you have? The most common one is Graves disease but you need an antibody test to know for sure. Get your levels every time you get your results and write down in a notebook how you are feeling at that level and how much Neomercazole you're on at that level. It will be a big benefit to you as time goes on trust me.

Feel free to drop me a PM anytime!

I don't know whether there was an antibody test. I honestly know nothing. My head was so cloudy, I couldn't string any thoughts together. Only after the latest increase my head is functioning again. So I definitely have some questions for him. I'm ready to take some info in now.

If I have to stop for 6 months, I'll stop for 6 months. In the beginning I felt very sorry for myself after all the work I put into the 10k I felt robbed. Even though I did it... I was in rag order doing it. Nothing compared to your disappointment obviously! Right at the end of marathon training, what a head wreck! :(

All I can do is move forward from where I am. Starting from scratch with this hobby seems to be my fate with it :D. This time is different though, I really learned a lot last year and because I paid attention to what I was doing I enjoyed it so so much more than ever before. Getting back to it is all I'm focused on. I will do ANYTHING to help things along. Even on Saturday as soon as I headed out, all the worries and stresses melted away. Having those smooth buttery runs where the world just looks great is what I'm living for :D.

I'll hold off doing anything until I talk to him next week and just keep the walking and yoga going.

I'm delighted for you that you're off the meds. That's fantastic news!

Teeney update if no one minds. Not much but - sometimes nothin' can be a cool hand :D

Had my bloods done in Jan and the thyroid is coming round. Still not fixed but good enough to keep everything as it is medication wise.

The other pain is the BP which was not behaving at all. But I felt so good for the first time in ages I asked him not to change anything and just let me track it for a while. He gave me a month.

Did a bit of googling and a lot of soul searching and although the drinking is under control the eating was still a major problem. Dr Google told me fix the diet and you fix your BP. So I have been as good as gold for the last month and sure enough, the weight is dropping as is the heart rate and the BP.

I was allowed run, but it had to be 20 mins very gentle and then 2 days off for the month. As the weeks passed, the urge to keep going was just too strong. The heart rate was behaving so I decided to try a bit longer. I went around the block - 35 mins very gentle and sure enough the heart rate was OK. Once you do it once, its so hard to go back to 20 mins, so gave it 2 days and went again...just to be sure :pac: :P. It was all still OK.

Was back with the GP today, with a colour coded excel sheet filled with BP readings and heart rate records that wowed him :D. End result is, given how everything behaved, I can keep doing the very gentle jaunts around the block for 4 weeks every 2nd day. So no longer have to wait 2 days. I showed him a 10k plan that KBC are doing on their Facebook page and he said I can give it a go if everything is alright after 4 weeks. The fartleks he's not happy with and there's very large caveat that I can try them but don't take the mick and recover before trying the next one.

I don't have to go back until May. Meds will remain as they are. Between now and then I've to do a no sugar no/low carb diet. He's bet me between that and the running it'll see me BP tablet free when I go back in May.

Have my gear on just waiting to head out the door when my earphones are charged and I'm going to relish every step :D

Damn it anyway. I thought I was 3 weeks down and only one more week going slow. But now I see I'm only two weeks in :pac: Its dragging so slowly!!!

I've actually learned a couple of things though.

I was a bit nervous bringing Womble Hill and Old Bawn Mountain back. A few days in, I headed out and saw a guy ahead of me and I could see he was out on a slow run. His movement was so relaxed and fluid. I took a look at myself and every movement was stiff and tight and shuffling. So I relaxed and mimicked him. Ive kept him in my head ever since and when I feel a bit rough, I visualise him and chill out.

Old Bawn Mountain still made me nervous and was still hard, no matter how I slowed. But as luck would have it on another day when I was really tired, I looked ahead and there was another guy happily motoring up it. He was lifting his knees, I was shuffling. So I thought, mimick him.
    In order to get the movement right, I moved onto the grass, where you have to lift your legs or trip up and sure enough that is much easier to relax with. And now its grand - not great but better than it was. Both lads have had a huge impact on how things have gone since and they don't even realise!

The kids are starting back Monday, which means Mortons Mountain will be back, so I thought I'd give it a crack this morning. It would mean Mortons Mountain and Old Bawn Mountain in the one run and OBM would be at the end (I do realise how laughable this is BTW given the Feb Challenge Thread included hill repeats on the Sugar Loaf).

Anyhow, I took it handy the whole way. Mortons thankfully went better than I expected. I was approaching Scholars thinking, this is grand and all, but I've no other gear... Its either slow or slower. But if I had to throw a bit of something in here, could I?

So I started to test it and I moved :o. It felt ok - then it felt good. The good side of me was telling me, you're gonna die when you get to OBM. The bad side was telling me fup it - this feels amazing just keep going and I'll know soon enough if its too much. So I just kept going. I turned into OBM, for the first time ever not a breath of wind or breeze or anything. I was never going to get another chance like this where it was all just in the right place, I've denied myself alcohol, carbs, chocolate, gone slow for months now, this can be my treat!! I shut my mind off and just went with it. It felt absolutely terrific and I just had an absolute blast! :D.

Here's where I normally would talk it/me down and rain on my own parade, but I can't today - it felt so so good!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Super stuff L, great to read this!!

Delighted to read this too!

• Advertisement

I need a bit of help on what's next. Not sure whether to ask here or on the RRQs thread... But I'll try here.

My 4 weeks is up on Sunday (yay) and I'm free to move on. I was going to follow a plan but have been mulling over Wottle's post in the Complicated thread more recently. I also found the 'introduction to running' thread for the first time the other day :o and read this thread on taking days off.

Ideally what I'd like to do is add another day now, throw in a few strides on a Wednesday and a few hills on Sundays. Is this too much too soon?

If you got the chance to start again, what would you do?

I need a bit of help on what's next. Not sure whether to ask here or on the RRQs thread... But I'll try here.

My 4 weeks is up on Sunday (yay) and I'm free to move on. I was going to follow a plan but have been mulling over Wottle's post in the Complicated thread more recently. I also found the 'introduction to running' thread for the first time the other day :o and read this thread on taking days off.

Ideally what I'd like to do is add another day now, throw in a few strides on a Wednesday and a few hills on Sundays. Is this too much too soon?

If you got the chance to start again, what would you do?

Your plan is pretty sound but not all at once. Add an extra day if you feel ready and stick with easy running for a few weeks. Then add the strides for another few weeks before adding a few hills. Its all about slow progressive steps. I know its not what you want to hear but I think it's the only way to go. Best of luck with it.

No, that sounds like a good way to go with something to look forward to every few weeks. Thanks a mill :D

The end of the first four weeks is here. It was actually grand and simple. Jog gently every second day. I thought it would be so mundane, like the 20 mins before that, but I actually learned lots.

Running on grass as I mentioned before has been the most genius idea I've ever had :D and its all been lovely and relaxed. I've really noticed the benefit of it the last week.

Morton's Mountain has been grand as a result, in fact I always remember slowing when I got to it. Now I'm naturally holding myself up and lifting my legs, dipping onto the grass to get the motion right again if it starts to wobble. It also has me so popular with other runners, who always give me a wave of thanks when I'm the one who opts to move off the path - little do they know I'm doing it for the purely selfish reasons :pac: Unless its been raining and the grass is slippy then surely people can walk single file so we can all share??

Four weeks ago the avg pace was 12.30p/m or so. The last week its been around 11.40p/m. It is 100% not through any pushing or extra effort by me. I never look at the watch so haven't a clue where I'm at and my mentality is the slower I go the longer I get to stay out - back ar$ed as that sounds :pac: More importantly I felt a bit sluggish the last week so have deliberately made sure I'm not pushing. So there very well could be something wrong with the watch :D

Weight loss has been great. I don't own a scales (which probably has me in this mess :D). Instead I'm going by Operation Collarbone - the more it protrudes, the more weight is coming off :D. Its going well so far still a lot further to go but really happy with how things are going. Probably the drop in blubber being hauled around is the reason for the drop in avg pace?

Diet is going well. I've had a bit of a naughty week sugar wise but it has been perfectly ok and controlled although it has to go again. No binges which is the main thing but moderation is not an option here! Initially I was struggling without carbs but now where there used to be carbs I have broccoli or cauliflower rice or salad and its actually grand. I look forward to every meal. I haven't gone full keto. I'm only learning and feel I'll be adding another layer of pressure I don't need yet.

Next week I'll add another day as per the last couple of posts, which I'm really happy about and will ding dang do for now :D

Glad to hear everything is going well :)

Move to 5 days

Week 1 - 23rd March - 28th March

The 5 days got off to a bit of a rocky start. Legs felt really heavy and sluggish and I felt like I was coming down with something. The heart rate and BP were grand so I took it to mean there was nothing in the system. All the same I was exhausted after each run.

Week 2 - 29th March - 4th April

Wondered whether I was truly being honest with how easy I was going. So I tried to keep an eye on the heart rate and keep it down into the 130s. Almost got it too avg hr was 141. Tried it two days consecutively and as its not far off where it was without the watch gawking, I knocked it on the head towards the end of the week because it was bordering on annoying! By the end of the week I was feeling much better and had some truly lovely runs. I broke OBM into 3 parts, which is helping get the better of it which is an incredible win!

Week 3 - 5th April - 12th April

Start of the week, the runs were really odd. By the end of the run my calves were so tight, completely uncomfortable and my feet felt numb :eek: I’ve been going through a checklist of possible causes, loosened my laces, took everything very handy and managed to keep it below that pain level as the week went on, downloaded that app Lulu recommended yesterday and did some stretching. Again it improved as the week went on but not sure what caused it. Decided to take on Thomas Davis Hill yesterday mind you and it went much better than I ever could have hoped and I almost have OBM by the neck! So its all good.

Weightloss is going well – though alcohol has made a return and I have had a few naughty nibbles :(. Its my own fault really, I hadn’t prepared myself for Easter and the chocolate it would bring. Actually I hadn’t expected much chocolate given no visitors arrived. But my parents managed to get eggs to us!! :D.

I wouldn’t mention this outside of here – other than to my husband of course – but the problem with food appears to be a little more deeply rooted than the simple gluttony I thought it was. I described what happens to the GP, I pinpointed when I think it started, back when I was a kid (its not for relaying here lol) and he told me it was binge eating disorder. I’d never heard of it and never knew it was a thing. He said to remove all sugar from the house as a first step, which was all grand and simple until the Easter Bunny dumped a heap of chocolate eggs on us!! Anyhow although I did partake in some chocolate eating – there was no binge. But the guilt after even the smallest of amounts is too much!! It has been so hard to keep control. Anyhow I clung to the thoughts of how lovely running feels at the moment now that I’m lighter and eating properly. Not only that, the last few weeks without the guilt have been a lovely break! It started to dawn on me that the relief I used to get from the binges, I’m actually starting to get from running. Those smooth runs where you’re in control and you feel the engine is well oiled and working properly are on a par with how the binges used to feel and the bonus is I’ve no guilt afterwards! I’m so lucky to have it.

I just need some shops to open so I can get new jeans :o. I look like MC Hammer :pac:

If you're into podcasts have a listen to Feel Better, Live more. Lots of fab information on healthy eating (not dieting...) and how a lot of us eat to fill the hole in our hearts rather than our stomachs.

Also listen to this
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4aSWekKUVEHbZAN9HcaH2t?si=mDtbS4lMR4y3LfvoLzdqiA&utm_source=copy-link

Not attaching guilt to food is an art form in itself and one I've yet to accomplish!

Not attaching guilt to food is an art form in itself and one I've yet to accomplish!

And sadly, many instagrammers are constantly portraying this idea that you need to punish yourself with exercise after food, or that you need to 'earn' meals. Not helpful for any of us to keep seeing this online (I do tend to unfollow but impossible to avoid 100%)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Another Podcast that may be helpful or interesting... someone recommended it to me recently but I haven't actually listened to it (yet). I think binge eating is probably the most common form of disordered eating out there.

Keep up the great work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

ReeReeG wrote: »
    And sadly, many instagrammers are constantly portraying this idea that you need to punish yourself with exercise after food, or that you need to 'earn' meals. Not helpful for any of us to keep seeing this online (I do tend to unfollow but impossible to avoid 100%)

I agree completely & again a lot of it comes back to social media. Having 3 girls ranging in age from 15 to 23 it's horrible seeing the constant comparisons they make with their bodies & those they view as "perfect" on social media which in fact are more than likely airbrushed. I really try to encourage a healthy relationship with food & exercise & mental well being but it's just getting harder & harder. My 3 girls all have completely different shapes but yet each one is striving for whatever "perfect" is in their heads...

Advertisement