Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a car for elderly parent

• 12-04-2021 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for a car for my Mam who is 75.

Her only absolute must-have is that it is easy to get in and out of. She currently drives a 08 golf and she is finding it a bit hard to get in and out of so she wants something higher than that. However, she also doesn't want anything too big as she'd be nervous that it would be hard to park. At the same time though, she wouldn't want anything too small. Ideally I think something golf/focus sized, a bit higher off the ground.

Apart from that she's open to anything. We're currently considering looking at new (as she never had a new car) or 3-4 years old at the most.

Not worried about MPG as milage is low or no interest in gadgets as they won't be turned on.

Pretty much open to any make.

I'd appreciate any suggestions

Comments

BnB wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for a car for my Mam who is 75.

Her only absolute must-have is that it is easy to get in and out of. She currently drives a 08 golf and she is finding it a bit hard to get in and out of so she wants something higher than that. However, she also doesn't want anything too big as she'd be nervous that it would be hard to park. At the same time though, she wouldn't want anything too small. Ideally I think something golf/focus sized, a bit higher off the ground.

Apart from that she's open to anything. We're currently considering looking at new (as she never had a new car) or 3-4 years old at the most.

Not worried about MPG as milage is low or no interest in gadgets as they won't be turned on.

Pretty much open to any make.

I'd appreciate any suggestions
    New cars will have a lot of safety features that will make driving more unpleasant for her. Lane keeping assist, traffic sign recognition, electronic brakes, etc...
    A FIAT 500 is as easy as it gets to drive nowadays but a step down from a Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any one of the small crossovers sounds like would suit her. Have a look at the likes of the Hyundai Kona, Kia Stonic, Nissan Juke, Renault Capture, etc. These will have a higher driving position but are still a bit shorter than a Golf sized car. Get one with parking sensors and/or a reversing camera. Consider an auto also as it will make driving easier for her in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hyundai Kona/Kia Stonic

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

Honda Jazz. Get an Auto if you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

bazz26 wrote: »
    Any one of the small crossovers sounds like would suit her. Have a look at the likes of the Hyundai Kona, Kia Stonic, Nissan Juke, Renault Capture, etc. These will have a higher driving position but are still a bit shorter than a Golf sized car. Get one with parking sensors and/or a reversing camera. Consider an auto also as it will make driving easier for her in the long term.

Would the Citroen C3 Aircross be in the same class as those you've listed above ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

A dacia dustbin,cheap,safe,higher up view than a saloon and a few gadgets if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

BnB wrote: »
    Would the Citroen C3 Aircross be in the same class as those you've listed above ?

Yes it is.
    A dacia dustbin,cheap,safe,higher up view than a saloon and a few gadgets if needed.

I think this poster means a Dacia Duster. It could be the perfect car for her. Not overladden with technology, has proven mechanicals and not too expensive either.
    She could also look at a Golf Plus second hand or the one that replaced it the Golf Sportsvan I think it was called. It was not a bad looker for a VW just a silly name. Probably why there are so few of them on the roads so might be hard to get one secondhand.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes it is.

I think this poster means a Dacia Duster. It could be the perfect car for her. Not overladden with technology, has proven mechanicals and not too expensive either.
    She could also look at a Golf Plus second hand or the one that replaced it the Golf Sportsvan I think it was called. It was not a bad looker for a VW just a silly name. Probably why there are so few of them on the roads so might be hard to get one secondhand.
    Actually new Sandero Stepway might be better than Duster in that it will be near similar size interior to Golf but smaller outside and less agricultural than the Duster.
    https://www.dacia.de/modelle/sandero-stepway.html

Ms

Actually new Sandero Stepway might be better than Duster in that it will be near similar size interior to Golf but smaller outside and less agricultural than the Duster.
    https://www.dacia.de/modelle/sandero-stepway.html

Indeed but when is it on sale here? Maybe they do not want to wait that long.
    It is a really good car do. My sister has a 17 Sandero Stepway. I am going to try get her to buy one of these in a few years time when it comes time to change if she does not go for a Kona and wants another Dacia. I doubt she would by brand new but nearly new or a year old ye.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

February reportedly; https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/10449/New-Dacia-Sandero-arrives-here-next-year#:~:text=February%202021%20on%2Dsale%20date,the%20spring%20of%20next%20year.

but Dacia may be holding it back until they clear backlog.
    The CVT version would be easiest to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

Small – Ford Fiesta, Honda Jazz
    Mid size – Kia soul, Toyota Prius, Hyundai Kona
    Larger - Volvo xc60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think something like a Dacia, as basic and old school as possible.

While I like the idea of something like an auto, its hard to change habits if you've been driving for 50s.
    Same with all the modern gadgets. But it will depend on the person. How easily they adapt to new stuff.
    As you get older you start to forget all the new stuff and fall back to old habits.

Ms

February reportedly; https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/10449/New-Dacia-Sandero-arrives-here-next-year#:~:text=February%202021%20on%2Dsale%20date,the%20spring%20of%20next%20year.

but Dacia may be holding it back until they clear backlog.
    The CVT version would be easiest to use.

Well February has come and gone so unless you mean Feb22 they missed that target.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Well February has come and gone so unless you mean Feb22 they missed that target.
    There was a suggestion by others in the main Dacia thread that Dacia Ireland may be trying to clear their forecourt of the older model.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ax530

Renaut Scenic or Ford C-Max are high easy in & out know older people who have driven them and found very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

How about a Golf SV? Slightly taller and higher seat, yet the controls will be familiar. For my mother is it very important things are familiar, things like having the lights on a switch near her knee compared to twisting the stalk took her a lot of getting used to, especially at the start of winter as she doesn’t do night driving at summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Toyota yaris, my mum has one, much easier to get in and out of than my golf, nice high flat seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

NoBread wrote: »
    Honda Jazz. Get an Auto if you can find one.

I'd second that.

I would also suggest having a look at the Suzuki Ignis, if there is a showroom anywhere near.

Nice, high seating with good view allround. Very spacious inside despite the small outside dimensions. Light controls, great for town driving.
    Latest models can be had with CVT "automatic". Previous models autos I would not recommend as they have lots of reported problems.

Personally I drive a manual and it is really easy with light clutch and a snickety shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JPLee

Hi,

In my perspective, Kia the Stonic is the best choice.

7 year warranty, plus now you can get 0% HP as well.

K2 (M/T): €22,360 + Delivery
    16" Alloy Wheels
    8" Touchscreen Display with DAB Radio and MP3 Compatibility
    Apple CarPlay & Android Auto Connectivity
    Reversing Camera with Dynamic Guidelines
    Air Conditioning
    LED Daytime Running Lights
    Intelligent Stop & Go (ISG)

K3(DCT) : €26,420 + Delivery
    17" Alloy Wheels
    8" Touchscreen Display with DAB Radio and MP3 Compatibility
    Apple CarPlay & Android Auto Connectivity
    Reversing Camera with Dynamic Guidelines
    Air Conditioning
    Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
    Lane Follow Assist (LFA)
    Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) (City/Pedestrian/Cyclist)
    LED Daytime Running Lights
    Intelligent Stop & Go (ISG)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

an automatic panda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

My missus has a Fiat Panda which I drive occasionally. Might be a bit small, although, to quote estate agents, it's deceptively roomy. Probably one of the easiest cars to drive and park I've come across, quite high off the ground, and Fiat have overcome their rust bucket image in the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

The new Toyota Yaris crossover might be a good choice too if going for a new car and it has all-wheel drive for poor weather conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Did you have a look at the vw t-roc they are a grand size and a higher than the golf,the t cross is another option but it is smaller but easier to park.

As a previous poster suggested the golf sv is a lovely car.
    Take a look at the skoda karoq its a very tidy car easier than the golf for her to manage and has the height to

Advertisement