Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Estate recommendations

• 11-04-2021 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

looking to purchase a used estate and have a budget of 20-25....
    would love something i could stick a coupe kids bikes into but also need good leg room in the back since my kids are tall... also something reasonablely fast...

car wont be doing regular long journeys, most local and the odd long spin so i think diesel is out of the question..

anyone think of something that would fit the bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-c350e-sport-hybrid-278bhp-phev/27625833

That's the only thing that jumps out at me since you want car with a bit of power but not diesel...

Very few fast petrol estates in petrol in around that budget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-c350e-sport-hybrid-278bhp-phev/27625833

That's the only thing that jumps out at me since you want car with a bit of power but not diesel...

Very few fast petrol estates in petrol in around that budget
    Thanks that looks like an option, yeah I know it might be a difficult find but I don't think diesel would make sense for something that won't be doing regular long mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

jobless wrote: »
    Thanks that looks like an option, yeah I know it might be a difficult find but I don't think diesel would make sense for something that won't be doing regular long mileage

Those Merc hybrids don't have the greatest reputation.

colm_mcm wrote: »

First one seems ridiculously expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What do you think it’s worth?

Those Merc hybrids don't have the greatest reputation.

In the pub, or from reputable sources with first hand ownership experience?

In any case, not a particularly large boot, nor the greatest rear leg-room.

JayZeus wrote: »
    In the pub, or from reputable sources with first hand ownership experience?

In any case, not a particularly large boot, nor the greatest rear leg-room.

The pubs are all closed.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What do you think it’s worth?

20 at a push.

The pubs are all closed.

Doesn’t stop the ‘pub talk’ rubbish. The W205 C350e is a nice car and that one is very well spec’d too. If it suited the OP he/she could do a lot worse. The main gripe people have is regarding the range, but that’s the same with many ‘mild hybrid’ EV’s.

As for the €20k ‘at a push’, there’s a good deal price and there’s a totally unrealistic expectation of price and value. €20k is the latter.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    Doesn’t stop the ‘pub talk’ rubbish. The W205 C350e is a nice car and that one is very well spec’d too. If it suited the OP he/she could do a lot worse. The main gripe people have is regarding the range, but that’s the same with many ‘mild hybrid’ EV’s.

As for the €20k ‘at a push’, there’s a good deal price and there’s a totally unrealistic expectation of price and value. €20k is the latter.

A family member did a huge amount of research into buying one of those mercs, and decided against it in the end.
    As for the volvo, its an old model v60, 4 years old. I have a v90 cc, most recent model, same year, very slightly higher mileage, pretty much every extra you can get, pan roof, android auto, electric folding towbar, polestar engine upgrade, and you'd do weill to get 27-28 for it.
    For me, and just my opinion, there is no way that v60 there is worth only 4-5k less.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Skoda Superb estate with a 2litre diesel in a good spec. What more could you want? The V60 estate is lovely but not the most practical and the Merc will be expensive to run.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

AMKC wrote: »
    Skoda Superb estate with a 2litre diesel in a good spec. What more could you want? The V60 estate is lovely but not the most practical and the Merc will be expensive to run.
    a non diesel.. read the op again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

AMKC wrote: »
    Merc will be expensive to run.

A Merc in my experience is no more expensive to get serviced in a main dealer than anything else. Has been €179 for years. Main dealers of most brands are in that region.

The PHEV will be slightly heavier in rear tyres, but that's a small trade off for 280bhp. In contrast, it will be easy on brakes.

OP, with kids who will get bigger, I'd be inclined to go up to the next clas of car, but your options are limited with a petrol as a requirement. Superb would be an option, but perhaps you don't need to go that far if your kids are small and you plan to change.

In this class though, you'll struggle to beat the C350e as a great all rounder and a nice place to sit. Easier to drive and park around town. (I had an E, and it was a pig in multistorey car parks)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

shanec1928 wrote: »
    a non diesel.. read the op again

only reason i said non diesel was because i think it would be less economical for where i would be driving.... that said i know very little about cars so stand corrected

Advertisement