Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

• 11-04-2021 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭

7b2a1e7ba8798706cf07fb7fdd140408.png

A band that has transcended time and space, that has given the world some of the most instantly recognisable and memorable songs, no other group can compare to The Beatles. They were only really active for around a 10 year period and released a staggering 12 studio albums in approximately 8 years which is modern terms is absolutely amazing. The fact that these releases were bookended by non stop touring make their output all the more impressive.

By the numbers

Approx 600,000,000 albums sold, the biggest selling artist of all time.

Approx 2,700 different cover versions of their songs have been released / recorded, by comparison, the nearest competitor is Bob Dylan with around 600 covers.

Approx 1,600,000,000 singles sold in the US alone.

For the purposes of this tournament, I have only included original recorded songs that appeared on their 12 original studio albums. We have 184 tracks to pick from.

Round 1 will commence later this week and consists of 92, 1 vs 1 legs. Ive made the drawing already so when things commence, I will post a link to each song (Youtube or Spotify) and Boardsies pick which ever song they prefer.

Voting will be valid for a 24 hour period from the time of the post and if any votes are cast after the 24 hours have elapsed they will not be counted so if you want to get involved please get your vote in early.

In the event there is a tie, I will cast the deciding vote to break the deadlock.

So sit back, relax and get ready to enjoy some of the best music ever recorded.

In the short term, have a view of this, something I am ridiculously excited about.

Let Beatlemania sweep through Boards!!!!

cc2baa5673ea6d97460beff2b647f233.gif

7aiy.gif

tumblr_mjx473hmjJ1r7thgxo8_400.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

This is going to a long time. A near impossible job to pick one !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

cj maxx wrote: »
    This is going to a long time. A near impossible job to pick one !

There is one that I think will be top pick overall, depends on how the drawings go but there are a couple of heavy hitters paired together in round 1. Should be a bit of craic for a couple of weeks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The original boyband

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The greatest of all time. I am all over this.

Hold on though, only songs from the albums?

That means nothing that was released as a single that didn't make any album?

Such as:

Love Me Do
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    I Want to Hold Your Hand
    Lady Madonna
    Rain
    Hey Jude
    Get Back
    Old Brown Shoe
    Hey Bulldog

etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Arghus wrote: »

Such as:

Love Me Do
    I Want to Hold Your Hand
    Lady Madonna
    Rain
    Hey Jude
    Get Back
    Old Brown Shoe
    Hey Bulldog

etc, etc.

Plus the song that was number one when I was born, All You Need is Love. I know, I'm old. :D

Such as:

Love Me Do
    I Want to Hold Your Hand
    Lady Madonna
    Rain
    Hey Jude
    Get Back
    Old Brown Shoe
    Hey Bulldog

etc, etc.

They appeared on an album didn't they!!!

For the avoidance of doubt, all original recordings ie written and performed by the band are included, including singles and their b-sides.

For the avoidance of doubt, all original recordings ie written and performed by the band are included, including singles and their b-sides.

Some of them were singles only.

But, hey, it's all cleared up now so all is good.

Can't wait to get stuck in. Fair play for running this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They appear on their finest album as any connoisseur will tell you - the best of The Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

They appear on their finest album as any connoisseur will tell you - the best of The Beatles.

That's not one of their original studio albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Love the beatles!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Not the biggest fan, but there is one song that should be an outright winner, if there is any justicie in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I love the Beatles, thanks for running Declan.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Not the biggest fan, but there is one song that should be an outright winner, if there is any justicie in the world.

We all think that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Looking forward to this, so many great songs to choose from

Some of them were singles only.

But, hey, it's all cleared up now so all is good.

Can't wait to get stuck in. Fair play for running this.

I did not know that! Cheers.

The Beatles had two genius song writers (John and Paul), but three extremely talented song writers (John, Paul and George). Sorry - Ringo! George's contributions were particularly noticeable in the late sixties. Frank Sinatra said his favourite Lennon-McCartney song was Something, which was written by George!

As singers, all four could sing. I know Ringo is somewhat overlooked, but he had some good vocal performances. There are certain songs associated with him, but my favourite is Goodnight from The White Album.

Favourite Beatle - John
    Second Favourite Beatle - George - :D;) - shock, horror! :eek:
    Third Favourite Beatle - Paul
    Sorry - Ringo!

I love the Beatles, thanks for running Declan.

I'm not running it - I just cheekily put up the link on the Upcoming Games thread! :D

I'm not running it - I just cheekily put up the link on the Upcoming Games thread! :D

Oops apologies El Gato. Am I kicked out of the thread now or would some grovelling help?

I did not know that! Cheers.

It's another string to their bow. On top of all the brilliant and groundbreaking albums, they were also simultaneously throwing out singles of unbelievable quality.

Sure, if we're going to do it, rating the lads:

I am a total John man, he's easily number one for me.
    Then, I'd have to give it to Paul, just for pure quantity of quality.
    George would be third, but some of his best tunes are pretty damn serious.
    And Ringo is the lovable drummer and Octopuses Garden is a lovely song.

• Advertisement

John came up with some extraordinary songs like Tomorrow Never Knows, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and A Day in The Life (most of the song - I know Paul wrote the middle section!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

this looks like it's gonna be an interesting one because while I know the hype The Beatles have created, I'm only a spring chick* so I couldn't name many of their songs myself.

It'll be interesting to see how many I do know as they are posted. or how many I'll learn from the tournament. looking forward to it :)

*lies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Favourite Beatle - John
    Second Favourite Beatle - George - :D;) - shock, horror! :eek:
    Third Favourite Beatle - Paul
    Sorry - Ringo!

Ringo got to be Thomas the Tank Engine, he is the true winner and doesn't need your sympathy.

It's another string to their bow. On top of all the brilliant and groundbreaking albums, they were also simultaneously throwing out singles of unbelievable quality.

Sure, if we're going to do it, rating the lads:

I am a total John man, he's easily number one for me.
    Then, I'd have to give it to Paul, just for pure quantity of quality.
    George would be third, but some of his best tunes are pretty damn serious.
    And Ringo is the lovable drummer and Octopuses Garden is a lovely song.

It's funny, I've listened to them for years but it was always through anthologies rather than specific albums and since the advent of Spotify its been exclusively streaming. I turned 40 a couple of years ago so as a present from me to me I bought their "in stereo" vinyl boxset despite not owning a record player, I still don't own one either but am currently planning a house build which will include an office / man cave so all going well I'll get one before the end of next year and give them all a spin. Glad I now know that some of my favourites may be absent and that it's not because I bought a bogey product!

As for my favourite Beatle.

I tend to flip flop between John and Paul. John imo was the more talented but I was lucky enough to see Paul perform in Glasgow a couple of years back so would have him marginally ahead based on recency bias.

Paul
    John
    George
    Ringo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I inexplicably hate Paul McCartney

Omackeral wrote: »
    I inexplicably hate Paul McCartney

I wouldn't quite go that far myself, but I would say that John kept Paul in check when writing songs, stopping Paul from descending into sentimentality or cloying sweetness. That was clearly missing in much of Paul's solo offerings, although he was still capable at times of coming with some good songs.

It's an age old debate really. Paul was the most musically talented and all, but John has that grit and honesty. But I eagerly await getting my prior opinions challenged.

It's an age old debate really. Paul was the most musically talented and all, but John has that grit and honesty. But I eagerly await getting my prior opinions challenged.

That's why they worked so well together. Paul had a much steadier homelife but John had a tough upbringing. Both of them losing their mothers at a young age was also likely a factor in them coming together. Paul id say was / is more two faced but John was a bit of a bully and not very nice alot of the time. Both are / were supremely talented but also supremely egotistical.

Anyway, all going according to plan we will kick this off on Wednesday (the 14th of this month) at around 20:00.

• Advertisement

Getting close now.

ce18b24bbb5bbad3b528f26d8624a20c.gif

Advertisement