Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic joist strengthening

• 10-04-2021 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, our bungalow has an attic conversion. However the floor feels springy when walked on and the ceiling below has cracks in it. It seems the joists aren't strong enough for the load and it wasn't done properly originally.
    I'm thinking the floor joists need strengthening. Any other advice is welcome.
    To get these strengthened would a carpenter be the best tradesperson?.
    I'm thinking of getting other work done downstairs also so would a builder be the best person to go to, to get everything done?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get a good ‘senior’ carpenter in. There isn’t enough info to comment further. We can’t offer structural advice but it sounds like the attic conversion didn’t take account of the increased loads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gaidin35

BryanF wrote: »
    Get a good ‘senior’ carpenter in. There isn’t enough info to comment further. We can’t offer structural advice but it sounds like the attic conversion didn’t take account of the increased loads etc.

Thanks Bryan,

The only other info I would have is they covered it with what I think is a plywood covering. I haven't taken any of that up myself I'd rather a professional did it to be honest. I would think you are right in that they didn't take the load into account. It looks like a self conversion to me.
    Thanks for the recommendation, r.e. The carpenter. I'll get searching.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Advertisement