Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travel Expert Advisory Group

• 10-04-2021 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

With regards to this group advising the Government on restricting travel, I can't seem to find any information on them. Specifically with regards to who exactly they are? Anyone know who or what this group consists of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes information about it needs to be released.

Their actions have and will result in huge hardship and suffering for many Irish citizens

Yet we have no idea who comprises it or the methodology?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Having America on the list is a huge political decision, I hope they're qualified to make such decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

This group seems to have absolutely no expertise in the very industry they are making serious decisions about. They are basically going to ruin the travel and aviation industry costing over 150,000 people their jobs. Serious questions need to be asked now about who exactly is on this group and who is calling the shots at the moment.

This extremely cautious approach is going to cost jobs and increase taxes for years to come. Our children will be paying for this long after Covid is not a concern anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Who is on this group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Is this another non-elected group who will make major decisions that will negatively affect our lives? A group for government ministers to hide behind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭prunudo

Kivaro wrote: »
    Is this another non-elected group who will make major decisions that will negatively affect our lives? A group for government ministers to hide behind?

Sounds like it, never heard of them/it before. Also appears like they added 'expert' to the title to make them sound more important, name doesn't really roll off the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes information about it needs to be released.

Their actions have and will result in huge hardship and suffering for many Irish citizens

Yet we have no idea who comprises it or the methodology?

Europe is entering its 3rd wave. Whilst I don’t agree with a lot of the current restrictions I do agree with mandatory quarantine and restrictions on travel from other States.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Europe is entering its 3rd wave. Whilst I don’t agree with a lot of the current restrictions I do agree with mandatory quarantine and restrictions on travel from other States.

And what about people who are fully vaccinated so? Are they exempt from quarantine? Isn’t that the whole point of vaccines in the first place? To allow us to return to normal lives. We won’t get rid of Covid, it’s with us now for life. Will these restrictions still be with us even though we’re vaccinated? What’s the endgame here? No mention of when these restrictions end. Serious questions need to be asked now of some of the decisions this group as-well as others are making. Our freedoms are slowly being eroded by nameless people hiding behind an anonymous group. We need to be worried about this, I can’t understand how people aren’t.

bombs away wrote: »
    And what about people who are fully vaccinated so? Are they exempt from quarantine? Isn’t that the whole point of vaccines in the first place? To allow us to return to normal lives. We won’t get rid of Covid, it’s with us now for life. Will these restrictions still be with us even though we’re vaccinated? What’s the endgame here? No mention of when these restrictions end. Serious questions need to be asked now of some of the decisions this group as-well as others are making. Our freedoms are slowly being eroded by nameless people hiding behind an anonymous group. We need to be worried about this, I can’t understand how people aren’t.

Being vaccinated doesn’t mean that you can’t transmit the virus. Wait until the most vulnerable in the country are vaccinated, whole new ballgame then.

Being vaccinated doesn’t mean that you can’t transmit the virus. Wait until the most vulnerable in the country are vaccinated, whole new ballgame then.
    Who informs you? If you aren't shedding virus, you are infecting others so let's nip that piece of misinformation in the bud right there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

usual pro lockdown crap being waffled, as others said who is the group and what are decisions based on that need answering questions, crap like new strains, vaccines can be reserved for 5yrs from now on, as theres f all plans made to living with it as most people realize this in only way further not hiding for years to come just in case usual nonsense being put up by few curtain twitchers who cant see beyond their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Being vaccinated doesn’t mean that you can’t transmit the virus.

Rubbish.
    Do they bring it in their suitcases or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Who informs you? If you aren't shedding virus, you are infecting others so let's nip that piece of misinformation in the bud right there now.

The vulnerable will still be vulnerable until we get herd immunity. Having a tiny percentage of people immunised won't protect the vulnerable.

Even with immunisation people can still catch the virus and while it won't be as bad it can still result in a hospital stay and the other long term affects of the virus

Del2005 wrote: »
    The vulnerable will still be vulnerable until we get herd immunity. Having a tiny percentage of people immunised won't protect the vulnerable.

Even with immunisation people can still catch the virus and while it won't be as bad it can still result in a hospital stay and the other long term affects of the virus
    you have no data at hand to prove that this is in any way a meaningful measurable risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,936 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's LiveLine sorted for the rest of the month.

We had South African folk moaning about having to quarantine, now it'll be the Yanks.

Can you provide a link to back that up please?

Can you provide a link to back that up please?
    Couldn't be bothered searching. Just pointing out you are spouting rubbish. Those who are immunised are not shedding and those immunised with mRNA are definitely not shedding the virus because they never had the virus to begin with rather the surface characteristics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

At this stage if you are in the travel industry or hospitality industry, I would assume a lot of workers have upskilled and changed careers? It will be a big issue for these industries to find qualified staff in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Del2005 wrote: »

The vulnerable who are unvaccinated will be vulnerable until they are vaccinated. There is so much evidence from real application of the vaccines that have put to bed this nonsense about being able to shed or transmit Covid when vaccinated. If you are vaccinated, then it should be game ball to do whatever the **** you like as far as I'm concerned. The virus will continue to spread among the unvaccinated. Not among those vaccinated. Otherwise the herd immunity concept would be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The whole thing is gas.

Put US on list as they approach herd immunity !

Let's hope somebody sees sense soon and we get some transparency

Michael OLeary has been very quiet but I sense we will be hearing from him soon

• Advertisement

Have sent a FOI request to the Dept. of Health specifically to enquire as to who exactly is on this expert group and what criteria are they using to assess countries for inclusion on the MHQ list. Fully expect that my email will be ignored as that’s how this government seems to operate but if I get a response back I will post it here.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    At this stage if you are in the travel industry or hospitality industry, I would assume a lot of workers have upskilled and changed careers? It will be a big issue for these industries to find qualified staff in the future.

Like it’s that’s easy. Some of the posts here are laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

Have sent a FOI request to the Dept. of Health specifically to enquire as to who exactly is on this expert group and what criteria are they using to assess countries for inclusion on the MHQ list. Fully expect that my email will be ignored as that’s how this government seems to operate but if I get a response back I will post it here.

Thanks for that, appreciate you doing something practical to challenge this lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Acosta

Isn't this the group of aviation experts that was set up last year to advise the government, but was basically nothing more than a talking shop who's advise was ignored by the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The whole thing is gas.

The TEAG might have some added relevance if Mr O'Leary WAS on it.:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Like it’s that’s easy. Some of the posts here are laughable.

Upskilling to a Degree in Netflix and Pringles is about as much as can be hoped for in 12 months ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

The whole thing is gas.

There are a few variants of concern in the U.S including a new one in New Yorkwhich seems to be why they were added
    A variant that evades antibodies would be catostrophic if it got dominant
    Entry to the USA has been banned for Irish people for nearly a year unless you have a visa or dual nationality
    The state department are considerating letting those fully vaccinated with an FDA approved vaccination in
    Currently thats jansen,moderna or Pfizer
    No entry if you got Astrazenica as its actually not approved stateside yet

I DO NOT LIKE the current situation but am waiting untill july to see where we are at on vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The TEAG might have some added relevance if Mr O'Leary WAS on it.:)

+1
    That the majority of Mr O'Leary's aviation group is no longer Irish speaks volumes for how Mr O'Leary sees the future :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

There are a few variants of concern in the U.S including a which seems to be why they were added
    A variant that evades antibodies would be catostrophic if it got dominant
    Entry to the USA has been banned for Irish people for nearly a year unless you have a visa or dual nationality
    The state department are considerating letting those fully vaccinated with an FDA approved vaccination in
    Currently thats jansen,moderna or Pfizer
    No entry if you got Astrazenica as its actually not approved stateside yet

I DO NOT LIKE the current situation but am waiting untill july to see where we are at on vaccinations

economic collapse would be quite bad too, do people even get the damage being done, by this madness.

so if its about variants, then the country will never open up, the disease will always mutate like the flu,

were borrowing 500m a week at the moment, to support the pup, industries, the dole etc.

Ive paid taxes all my life and need to be able to travel to the US for my work, I have never taken a penny from the state,

but this is the last straw, im off, ill pay my taxes somewhere else, BTW im vaccinated.

Just to add the housing collapse of 2008, is nothing compared to the damge being down now,other countries are getting on with it, there is more dmaage being done now, Bertie and Co will look mild compared to the damage being done,

when the tribunals start about who knew what when, feel comfotated, that most involved will be on big pensions, paid for by the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rubbish.
    Do they bring it in their suitcases or something?

There is the virus, and there is the disease. They are two different things. You might be aware for example that HIV is a virus but that AIDS is a disease. HIV causes AIDS but you can catch and spread HIV without it ever developing into AIDS for you. Here, SARS-Cov-2 is the virus and Covid19 is the disease.

You may be aware, for example, that lots of people have been using hand sanitizer to clean their hands over the past year or so. The reason that they do this is that they want to kill off any virus that they might have potentially picked up from surfaces and things that they touched. For example a door handle or money that they were handling.

The virus can be on a door handle. However that does not mean that the door handle (an inanimate object) is suffering from the disease - Covid19. The virus and the disease are different

Are you still with me?

Ok. Next, the virus can live for different lengths of time on different surfaces and in different environments. If you have been vaccinated, and you come in contact with the virus, your body should be able to combat that virus before it develops into the serious disease. But it will still be in your body and you can spread it onwards during that time.

Now, because your body hopefully eliminates the virus reasonably quickly, it will not have as much opportunity to multiply and spread as it would otherwise. But it still has a window to do so. Your body has the virus but you won't have Covid19.

Advertisement