Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Match Thread]Exeter Chiefs V Leinster - Sat April 10th - K.O. 5.30pm - BT Sport 2

• 09-04-2021 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭

Leinster Rugby:

15. Hugo Keenan
    14. Jordan Larmour
    13. Rory O’Loughlin
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    11. James Lowe
    10. Johnny Sexton (capt)
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Rónan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Scott Fardy
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

Replacements

16. James Tracy
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Ryan Baird
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Dave Kearney

Exeter Chiefs:

15 Stuart Hogg
    14 Olly Woodburn
    13 Henry Slade
    12 Ollie Devoto
    11 Tom O’Flaherty
    10 Joe Simmonds
    9 Jack Maunder
    1 Ben Moon
    2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
    3 Tomas Francis
    4 Jonny Gray
    5 Jonny Hill
    6 Dave Ewers
    7 Jacques Vermeulen
    8 Sam Simmonds

Replacements:

16 Jack Yeandle
    17 Alec Hepburn
    18 Harry Williams
    19 Sam Skinner
    20 Jannes Kirsten
    21 Stu Townsend
    22 Harvey Skinner
    23 Ian Whitten

Should be a cracker!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

degsie wrote: »
    Leinster Rugby:

15. Hugo Keenan
    14. Jordan Larmour
    13. Rory O’Loughlin
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    11. James Lowe
    10. Johnny Sexton (capt)
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Rónan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Scott Fardy
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

Replacements

16. James Tracy
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Ryan Baird
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Dave Kearney

Exeter Chiefs:

15 Stuart Hogg
    14 Olly Woodburn
    13 Henry Slade
    12 Ollie Devoto
    11 Tom O’Flaherty
    10 Joe Simmonds
    9 Jack Maunder
    1 Ben Moon
    2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
    3 Tomas Francis
    4 Jonny Gray
    5 Jonny Hill
    6 Dave Ewers
    7 Jacques Vermeulen
    8 Sam Simmonds

Replacements:

16 Jack Yeandle
    17 Alec Hepburn
    18 Harry Williams
    19 Sam Skinner
    20 Jannes Kirsten
    21 Stu Townsend
    22 Harvey Skinner
    23 Ian Whitten

Should be a cracker!

Exeter by 5. Bench will made the difference

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Exeter by 5. Bench will made the difference

Not the strongest leinster bench but I don't recognise one name on the Exeter bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Not the strongest leinster bench but I don't recognise one name on the Exeter bench

Not even Ian whitten?

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Not even Ian whitten?

Especially Ian Whitten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Hepburn
    Williams
    Skinner
    Decent front 5 impact from bench.
    Think they have advantage in front 5

injury makes this too big an ask.

Luke mcgrath goes off and it's game over.
    Maloney no where near required physicality for this level

Throw in James ryan and ringrose and this still a tough away day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

MV5BMTI3OTkwOTEwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTgyNjgzMQ@@._V1_UY264_CR20,0,178,264_AL_.jpg

Forgotten but not gone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This should be an ugly game, tight as a gnat's chuff with a single mistake likely to spell disaster. The champions en titre will go through here but they won't go any further.

I simply can't call this one. Mainly because I've seen so little of Exeter in the last while. I think we have a few guys in good form at the moment. Kelleher, Furlong, VDF, Conan, Henshaw and Keenan have all looked good lately. And all played against England too along with Healy, Baird, Sexton, Larmour and Porter. I'm not too worried about being undercooked tbh. And I think a few guys in the squad needed the rest more than the game last week.

That said, I am incredibly nervous. This is a massive game and one Leinster are setting their stall out to win. I dont think a loss is the end of the world, especially not if its as close as we think it will be. But a win would be a big statement I think. The one big question mark over Leinster right now is their ability to step up in these games from what is currently a really dreadful Pro14. If we can answer that then it puts us in a very good place. So from that perspective I'm quite excited to see how we go.

If we lose by a score having played well then it won't really signify much in terms of our ability to step up. The only way a loss would really mean much is if we are well off the pace and Exeter win fairly comfortably. Then the questions about Leinsters ability to step up will arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

molloyjh wrote: »
    I simply can't call this one. Mainly because I've seen so little of Exeter in the last while. I think we have a few guys in good form at the moment. Kelleher, Furlong, VDF, Conan, Henshaw and Keenan have all looked good lately. And all played against England too along with Healy, Baird, Sexton, Larmour and Porter. I'm not too worried about being undercooked tbh. And I think a few guys in the squad needed the rest more than the game last week.

That said, I am incredibly nervous. This is a massive game and one Leinster are setting their stall out to win. I dont think a loss is the end of the world, especially not if its as close as we think it will be. But a win would be a big statement I think. The one big question mark over Leinster right now is their ability to step up in these games from what is currently a really dreadful Pro14. If we can answer that then it puts us in a very good place. So from that perspective I'm quite excited to see how we go.

If we lose by a score having played well then it won't really signify much in terms of our ability to step up. The only way a loss would really mean much is if we are well off the pace and Exeter win fairly comfortably. Then the questions about Leinsters ability to step up will arise.

Agree with a lot of this
    The pro14? Is it awful and we cruise an awful league? If we get well beaten then where does irish rugby stand? Ulster and munster console themselves with Losing to leinster because they are one of the best in Europe. If we aren't where are they?

In one respect I'm glad if we win European cup it will be by beating exeter along the way. Was potentially an * with no saracens. Throw in we are in a quarter final by winning 2 games. If we add a 5th star I'd rather have a couple of big wins in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Hepburn
    Williams
    Skinner
    Decent front 5 impact from bench.
    Think they have advantage in front 5

injury makes this too big an ask.

Luke mcgrath goes off and it's game over.
    Maloney no where near required physicality for this level

Throw in James ryan and ringrose and this still a tough away day.

Luke McGrath needs to step up tomorrow and show his performances can match his self perception of himself as a leader.

He needs to be a link player and step up and execute box kicks and passes as a senior player would do - flawlessly.

He needs to have a positive influence and impact on the game and dictate play not only let it unfold and read opportunities. If he plays percentages the game might pass him by as other big occasions have in the past.

I hope for the future of his position at Leinster he can step up.

As for Hughie - I can’t see what rumours are doing the rounds that people are saying he will definitely lose us the game. So he wasn’t awarded a contract he might have focus elsewhere in his life other than rugby but to write him off so completely is mind boggling. I think he can do us a job if called upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Luke McGrath needs to step up tomorrow and show his performances can match his self perception of himself as a leader.

He needs to be a link player and step up and execute box kicks and passes as a senior player would do - flawlessly.

He needs to have a positive influence and impact on the game and dictate play not only let it unfold and read opportunities. If he plays percentages the game might pass him by as other big occasions have in the past.

I hope for the future of his position at Leinster he can step up.

As for Hughie - I can’t see what rumours are doing the rounds that people are saying he will definitely lose us the game. So he wasn’t awarded a contract he might have focus elsewhere in his life other than rugby but to write him off so completely is mind boggling. I think he can do us a job if called upon.

I think the Ospreys game wouldn’t fill anyone with confidence at the thoughts of HOS having to come on in a European quarter final. If Osborne was fit, let alone JGP. He wouldn’t be near the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭scott1974

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Not even Ian whitten?

I suspect Leinster will try to exploit him once he's on.
    He looked slow against Lyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

After the embarrassment of losing to Saracens last season, they just have to win this. I find Exeter to be a very dull team to watch, they make Ireland's play style look exciting by contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Cheer up lads. The sun is out and there's a huge game of rugby to look forward to.

Exeter are English and European champions and they have home advantage. It's no shame if we lose and it's an indication of how good this Leinster team is that we're marginal favourites nonetheless.

And if we do lose? We try again next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That’s incredibly harsh on McGrath, imo. He’s been picked to captain the team in the past; that’s not self-perception.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

After the embarrassment of losing to Saracens last season, they just have to win this. I find Exeter to be a very dull team to watch, they make Ireland's play style look exciting by contrast.

And I think that’s incredibly harsh on Leinster. The scrum in the first half cost ye, but Saracens 3 front row players all featured in the RWC final, and Leinster were without Furlong. That’s hardly an embarrassment.

aloooof wrote: »
    That’s incredibly harsh on McGrath, imo. He’s been picked to captain the team in the past; that’s not self-perception.

What I mean is that he puts himself forward for responsibilities that come with being in the leadership group. I expect him to live up to that self billing as a leader and influence the game in a positive way. Drifting, carrying out your role or shouting at people won’t be sufficient today. I think he can have a greater influence on the outcome if he focuses on making an impact in areas I see JGP having a better game him - distribution, tempo and sniping.

What I mean is that he puts himself forward for responsibilities that come with being in the leadership group. I expect him to live up to that self billing as a leader and influence the game in a positive way. Drifting, carrying out your role or shouting at people won’t be sufficient today. I think he can have a greater influence on the outcome if he focuses on making an impact in areas I see JGP having a better game him - distribution, tempo and sniping.

McGrath has been huge for Leinster this season. Just look at our performance vs Ospreys for an example of where we are without him. You spoke about him needing to be flawless earlier etc. That's asking the impossible. Luke has been very good for us and is a leader in the team. He is probably the best defensive scrum half in the country. His reading of the game and the way he tackles above his weight are superb. He runs great support lines and is the closest we have to Dupont in that area. He has issues in his game, particularly around his passing accuracy, but singling him out in the way you have is as bizarre as it is unfair.

He has to work on those areas of his game though. Showing up and doing your role or the basics isn’t enough given the opportunities he’s been afforded over his career. He needs to add to the attack today and offer something which breaks the game open more than once or twice.

He has to work on those areas of his game though. Showing up and doing your role or the basics isn’t enough given the opportunities he’s been afforded over his career. He needs to add to the attack today and offer something which breaks the game open more than once or twice.

If only we had an example of him scoring a try against a team like Exeter in a tight European game....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not sure where all the talk of McGrath not being an attacking scrumhalf is coming from. He's consistently one of our best snipers, what's his try tally at now? Must be high. He's an absolute flyer and is one of those 9's that's always in the right place on line breaks.

His issue keeping him on the fringe of the Ireland setup are more around decision making and not being able to pass cleanly off both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm nervous tbh. Said it before but I think missing the Toulon game will hurt us more than it'll benefit us. Hope we take advantage of that and start strong.

Right now, Exeter by 3 points for me. Hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

So, VM show the Sale game but not the Leinster one??? Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Heart days Leinster but head says Exeter. European Champions and have a game that's built around seizing upon opposition frailties. Think the week off won't have done Leinster good in terms of in field cohesion. Hope I'm wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

2 minutes silence is way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would they not use a better pick of The Duke? Like from a period when he wasn't looking like a corpse

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's some poor discipline from Leinster to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭KH25

What was the free kick for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The law is being laid down early here.

Advertisement