Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

MYSTICA1 wrote: »

So somebody nearby go out in their car and drive it to confirm etc

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    So somebody nearby go out in their car and drive it to confirm etc

There are people who post on this forum who can see it from their house. No need to be a smart ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 riggersmark

I'll be passing by in the morning I'll let u all know if its not confirmed by then

I have been told elsewhere that it is not, in fact, open this evening. Over-eager reporting by the politician and journalist again��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

MYSTICA1 wrote: »

Page/article is gone, and no I don’t believe it’s open as 9a would have to be open and the barricades are still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Not open. Passed Kerry Group at 7pm and junction all closed up. And traffic lights powered off.

Suprise surprise, Mr Clear jumps the gun again.

549414.jpg

9a junction still closed at 8am on Wednesday morning. Just passed and barriers are still up

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Not open. Passed Kerry Group at 7pm and junction all closed up. And traffic lights powered off.

Suprise surprise, Mr Clear jumps the gun again.

*snip*

To be fair to him on this one, he isn't quoted as saying its open, just about the upcoming millbank closure. Not that he hasn't jumped the gun before.

This seems like an over-eager reporter moreso.

It is opening very imminently, but yeah not yet.

Finally some official news. Exit 9a opening Friday Morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Do we know yet what road number the Sallins Bypass will have? It probably should have been a National Secondary and immediately look to extend it, bypassing Clane and joining the R408 east of Rathcoffey. Maybe even take in the R445 so that it would eventually run from Newbridge to Maynooth, it would be a relatively short National Secondary but traffic volumes and road standard could be well above many NSs.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Do we know yet what road number the Sallins Bypass will have? It probably should have been a National Secondary and immediately look to extend it, bypassing Clane and joining the R408 east of Rathcoffey. Maybe even take in the R445 so that it would eventually run from Newbridge to Maynooth, it would be a relatively short National Secondary but traffic volumes and road standard could be well above many NSs.

According to the Kildare CC notification on the closure of Millbank road

ROAD TO BE CLOSED

Sallins Link Road (L1102)

(Millbank Road)

From (Junction with)

Roundabout on Sallins Bypass (R407)

To (Junction with)

Clane Rd (L3014)

So the current R407 (The road through Sallins) is becoming the L3014, the Bypass becomes the new R407 and the Sallins link road itself is the new L1102

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Regarding extending northwards...there is a strategic reservation zoning just east of Clane to facilitate a long term Liffey crossing to Celbridge Road at least, but no route to Bodenstown reserved or earmarked...that will be an interesting alignment due to studs, farmlands, mature woodland, etc.

Sections of existing R407 Clane to Kilcock Road upgraded over recent years. Would be surprised if a different alignment veers in towards Rathcoffey...and R408 is a very basic road. Main commercial traffic appears to head to Kilcock and M4...lots of national distribution centres in the region for supermarket chains etc and more on the way...application for one North of Sallins IIRC.

Reservations exist for several short relief roads around Clane village...Celbridge/Kilcock expected to start construction soon, others years out if ever.

Finally, for what it is worth the Leinster Outer Orbital Route is a long term national primary road route reservation west of Clane from Newbridge/Naas to Trim/Navan as I recall and over to Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Regarding extending northwards...there is a strategic reservation zoning just east of Clane to facilitate a long term Liffey crossing to Celbridge Road at least, but no route to Bodenstown reserved or earmarked...that will be an interesting alignment due to studs, farmlands, mature woodland, etc.

Sections of existing R407 Clane to Kilcock Road upgraded over recent years. Would be surprised if a different alignment veers in towards Rathcoffey...and R408 is a very basic road. Main commercial traffic appears to head to Kilcock and M4...lots of national distribution centres in the region for supermarket chains etc and more on the way...application for one North of Sallins IIRC.

Reservations exist for several short relief roads around Clane village...Celbridge/Kilcock expected to start construction soon, others years out if ever.

Finally, for what it is worth the Leinster Outer Orbital Route is a long term national primary road route reservation west of Clane from Newbridge/Naas to Trim/Navan as I recall and over to Drogheda.

Bodenstown Golf Course closed didn't it? Could be an option for part of an extension north.

The R408 would need upgrading but I was thinking in terms of potentially a new M4 junction to replace the existing substandard Maynooth junction.

The Outer Orbital Route has no formal reservation and I'm not sure that is even part of any current policy or strategy documents. It is unlikely to ever happen.

The Leinster Orbital Route is not part of any plan or forecasts. It's not mentioned in any recent policy documents. It'll never happen IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

The Leinster Orbital Route is not part of any plan or forecasts. It's not mentioned in any recent policy documents. It'll never happen IMO.

Sadly, I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I always thought that the problem that the Leinster Outer Orbital has been put forward as a solution for is better solved by improving the National Secondary network outside Leinster, and the Regional route network in Kildare, Meath and Louth.

The further away from the M7/M9 junction you get, the more options there are on the National Secondary network to reach M1 without coming near to Dublin - it would be better to upgrade these than try to drive a new motorway through the most densely populated part of the country. Closer to Dublin, more 2+2 express routes (like this new bypass) around bottleneck towns in Leinster will give the Leinster-originated traffic a good alternative route across the province that doesn't involve the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Wonder why the Sallins bypass is opening but the link road into Sallins isn't.

Seeing as Kildare Co Co have issued a closure notice for the road (Millbank part - with the new link road staying open) for 6 weeks in May-June, they obviously see it being opened by then - just not tomorrow...?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Wonder why the Sallins bypass is opening but the link road into Sallins isn't.

Seeing as Kildare Co Co have issued a closure notice for the road (Millbank part - with the new link road staying open) for 6 weeks in May-June, they obviously see it being opened by then - just not tomorrow...?

The existing, i.e. the old part of the link road, closest to the town, still badly needs resurfaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

The existing, i.e. the old part of the link road, closest to the town, still badly needs resurfaced.

Seems strange though as the old part is in use anyways and we know they are closing it to re-surface and redo the paths next month.

I just don't get why the full link road won't open as part of the main scheme. It seems ready and is part of the solution for Millbank residents while the old part is being redone. So Kildare CoCo will have it open next month when the old part is closed - I suppose I'm wondering out loud why it's not ready to go tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Seems strange though as the old part is in use anyways and we know they are closing it to re-surface and redo the paths next month.

I just don't get why the full link road won't open as part of the main scheme. It seems ready and is part of the solution for Millbank residents while the old part is being redone. So Kildare CoCo will have it open next month when the old part is closed - I suppose I'm wondering out loud why it's not ready to go tomorrow.

Possibly some legal advice on risk of lawsuits due to surface quality if the whole thing is open as a strategic road rather than a residential cul-de-sac? Maybe it will remain closed until the works happen, where it will be a rolling opening.

We have all now learned what a "Soft" opening is!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Could be that while resurfacing they will also run services to the new link and so they need the road closed to dig it up. If they did this before the bypass was opened the residents of Millbank would have been stranded. I've nothing to back this up, just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Every TD and councilor etc will be making an non essential journey for the opening today with a photographer in tow for that important photo followed by a comment like they built the road themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭yannakis

According to all the news sources and a couple of user reports, the bypass is open since 11:00 this morning!

You'll also see it mapped and routable in Waze:

TghkqHK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

yannakis wrote: »
    According to all the news sources and a couple of user reports, the bypass is open since 11:00 this morning!

You'll also see it mapped and routable in Waze:
    Is R407 the correct label, the same as the other route into Naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭NSAman

Is this thing not finished YET?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭yannakis

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Is R407 the correct label, the same as the other route into Naas?
    According to the new signs, the bypass is R407, the part of R407 through Sallins is now L3014 (this change will be live in a few days).
    NSAman wrote: »
    Is this thing not finished YET?
    :D:D
    Still no date for the link road to Sallins town centre :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Confirm the bypass opened 11am this morning. Drove the new road shortly after. Then went to sallins Lidl. Walked up the Sallins link road. The paths and bike lane also connect to grand canal greenway going into Sallins.

Lots of people trying the walk and bike routes on the bypass. Drove back on bypass via naas ring road. Overall a excellent bypass lots of trucks going via bypass as well. It was worth the wait, still some engineers and construction staff pottering around observing how the opening is going.

The resurfacing and new paths on Millbank road are due to complete June 25th 2021 so the sallin link road will likely open shortly after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

RTE news : Sallins bypass in Kildare opens to traffic

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0409/1208730-kildare-road-opening/

Advertisement