Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kona EV or ENiro

• 09-04-2021 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi I am trying to decide between a 2021 Kona EV or E Niro.

Switching from a CRV so I like the extra boot space in the Niro but I am being quoted 5K less for a Kona. Inclined to go with the Kona and if not happy the 5k saving will be used to trade again in a year or so.

Comments

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi I am trying to decide between a 2021 Kona EV or E Niro.

Switching from a CRV so I like the extra boot space in the Niro but I am being quoted 5K less for a Kona. Inclined to go with the Kona and if not happy the 5k saving will be used to trade again in a year or so.

You know already what you want so go for it, personally I think the E_Niro is a nicer car, more space.

Better to have the boot space than want it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Go look at both, the eNiro is a decent size, the Kona is tiny.
    I had a CRV as my last car, we were spoiled with space.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

yeah CRV has me spoiled but 99% of the time it is just myself in it and golf clubs at weekends (when there was golf)!

yeah CRV has me spoiled but 99% of the time it is just myself in it and golf clubs at weekends (when there was golf)!

Snap!!! Having looked at both Kona and eNiro went for used Model S, still electric and bags of room as I can't stand having to take the rear seats down for the golf gear.
    Way cheaper than Kona/Niro

There's the id.3 to think about now too, not sure if the Kona boot would be larger than the id.3 boot from what I remember ?

• Advertisement

Lower spec'd ID3's not great at all, the Kona/eNiro a lot more, stuff like reversing cameras and parking sensors missing is typical VW basic trims.
    If you don't need or like them then good but a lot expect this in a car, not even mentioning steel wheels!

5k difference is a lot. Could use it to trade up the second car for when larger boot is needed -(shopping but really Golf)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭eagerv

There's the id.3 to think about now too, not sure if the Kona boot would be larger than the id.3 boot from what I remember ?

Boot size of the ID.3 is larger than the Kona

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

slave1 wrote: »
    Lower spec'd ID3's not great at all, the Kona/eNiro a lot more, stuff like reversing cameras and parking sensors missing is typical VW basic trims.
    If you don't need or like them then good but a lot expect this in a car, not even mentioning steel wheels!

When you go up to the ID.3 spec priced at the same level as the Kona and eNiro the equipment is more comparable.

The id.3 tech is around 40 K same as the e-niro, has the travel assist too ( the auto steer on the motorway thing )

Decent spec + much faster charging with "rumours" that VW is going to increase charging power later in the year but as it stands now the id.3 would charge a lot faster when you need it and can charge at a high power charger but the e-niro would have more range because it has a larger battery so swings and roundabouts.

The id.3 Tour will be available soon as a 5 seater with the larger battery which should get over 350 Kms probably 400 Kms easy off the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Leave them all and buy the ID.4
    You are looking at Crossover and might as well buy the best available. I parked my old Golf beside the eNiro and not much difference in the height. i test drove the eNiro and it was nice car so don't get me wrong.
    I did sit into the Kona, now it was the combustion version but no chance I would buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The Kona is a shoe box. Even if my i3 seems bigger inside.

Thanks for replies .
    Test drove the Kona. Lovely car to drive, good value and comfortable but comments re space are correct. Front is fine but rear room is very poor as is the boot. Try the Niro tomorrow but may hold out for the ID4 or the new EV6/Ioniq 5

id.4 is nice but expensive with decent kit and to get travel assist you have to spend 54K.

I do like the id.4 a lot but the infotainment and screen is p1ssing a lot of people off, I hope they can fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Thanks for replies .
    Test drove the Kona. Lovely car to drive, good value and comfortable but comments re space are correct. Front is fine but rear room is very poor as is the boot. Try the Niro tomorrow but may hold out for the ID4 or the new EV6/Ioniq 5

Is it not cheap plastic hell? The combustion model I sat into was

The Kona I drove was extremely noisy. Maybe newer ones are quieter ?

Compared to CRV diesel I found the cabin noise level to be good-I think most SUV's have a certain amount of road noise. Finish wise it is ok I liked the screen and instrument layout-plastic finish did not really bother me.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Is it not cheap plastic hell? The combustion model I sat into was

Kona that I sat in was a horrible plastic mess yeah. Night and day compared to the Niro interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

aye, test drove a kona. small, plastic terrible place to spend your time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

In a similar boat at the moment. Test drove ID3 and E-Niro. Much preferred E-Niro.

Test drive 2008 on Tuesday but it looks very small. Want to drive the Kona but the space comments suggest it's a non runner.

• Advertisement

I looked at the 2008.Nice design but every bit as small as the Kona and less range.

In a similar boat at the moment. Test drove ID3 and E-Niro. Much preferred E-Niro.

Test drive 2008 on Tuesday but it looks very small. Want to drive the Kona but the space comments suggest it's a non runner.

What about id.3 + it charges faster on DC ? I think the interior of the e-niro is a lot better than the id.3 but id.3 can be got I think now with different seat fabric/colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭fits

Would you consider the soul? Just wondering why it’s not a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

What about id.3 + it charges faster on DC ? I think the interior of the e-niro is a lot better than the id.3 but id.3 can be got I think now with different seat fabric/colours.

E-Niro just feels bigger. I am also interested in the ID4 now as it looks like the cheaper trims are available.

<40k is the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

ID4 stats for who is interested

My cost was €18 for 67 kWh. 22kWh charger but took 6 hours.

8.50 for 28kWh using 50kWh charger. Took 45 minutes.

Battery was 65% and probably wasn't that hot. Cold outside but I drove average 105km per hour for 1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭innrain

Summer8181 wrote: »
    ID4 stats for who is interested

My cost was €18 for 67 kWh. 22kWh charger but took 6 hours.

8.50 for 28kWh using 50kWh charger. Took 45 minutes.

Battery was 65% and probably wasn't that hot. Cold outside but I drove average 105km per hour for 1 hour

That is pretty much right. @22kW AC the car charges max 11kW *6 h = 66kWh

@ DC the charging is not linear when going at higher states. Here is the curve https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/360016837758-Charging-with-a-Volkswagen-ID-4
    If you want to maximize the charging time move on after 85%

However, you're average charging speed of 37.3 kW is not bad. I assume you have a 77 kWh battery and the 28kWh represent 36% telling me you've charged up to nearly 100%.
    Next time you go to a 50kW DC aim to be below 40% and you'll get full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

I'm trying to decide between the Kona and the e-niro at the moment. Apart from the room the e-niro seems better spec'd from what I am reading. 11kw charging v 7, smart cruise control v standard being two of the most significant. I have also looked at the ID-3 but the standard spec doesn't look as good and the 'add ons' are head wrecking. Have VW ironed out all the software bugs?

I have been driving the ioniq 28kw for the last 2.5 years seamlessly but just need more range, otherwise I'd never let it go.

E-Niro over Kona all day long. For the reasons you mentioned, plus the size inside is a vast improvement. Kona is matchbox sized.

ID3, well I just bought one. The software bugs are pretty much ironed out. Still a lot of irritating software design flaws though. But the upside is that VW can provide OTA updates to adjust these. Whether they will bother is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I was in the same position (ioniq 28) and looking at the same solution (Kona V Niro or possibly IDx)

I ended up going for the Soul because

a.) I don't mind the looks

b.) The kona was too small on the inside

c.) The utilitarian shape of the soul suited me better. Specifically I don't regularly need a bidder boot, day to day. However with the seats down the Soul is much better at carrying big or bulky items such as ebike (due to the boxy arse)

d.) Most importantly the spec on the Soul is just significantly better than either the Kona or the Niro.

e.) I discounted the IDs because getting a similar spec was stupid money.

NOTE: Unless you buy a tesla or another ioniq you will initially fixate about how poor the efficiency is, especially at hight speed. This will pass :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Yeah the Soul was on the list at one stage but the looks sorta got to me. What other things in terms of spec does the Soul have over the other that might sway me again?

Advertisement