Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG CX on special in Harvey Norman this weekend only. Can pay deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Did you pay the deposit in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Did you pay the deposit in store?

Yeah but they might take deposit over the phone.
    The guy took my details over the phone and I said I’d drop down and pay. But he said to take my time and the unit was kept for me.

When I arrived down 30 minutes later he went from having 9 in stock to 5.
    I seen 1 guy walking out the door with one.
    He said 2 staff members had bought them including himself which he showed me on the system. I think he was trying to say (I’m not bull****ting you this is a good deal) which I knew it was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hhhmmmmm
    New house build started
    Won’t be moving in for around 15 months
    It’s too soon right ......

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭StonedRaider

km79 wrote: »
    Hhhmmmmm
    New house build started
    Won’t be moving in for around 15 months
    It’s too soon right ......

These will drop in price again in 10months nevermind 15months. I bought an ex display 55'C9 about 8months back which is the previous model to the CX for €930 from DID electric with 5 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Chocolate

I ordered the 65" LG CX yesterday.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/lg-65-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-smart-tv-oled65cx5lb.html

The advertised price is €2049 but it knocks a further €200 when you place it in your cart. Final price was €1849

Home delivery is an additional €25.

There is a two week waiting time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭iHungry

Just to warn certain potential purchasers the CX and the other LG OLED X models don't support DTS.

Any deals on the BX? I splashed out on a C9 last year and I think if you are coming from an old TV the BX will be enough to blow you away.

iHungry wrote: »
    Just to warn certain potential purchasers the CX and the other LG OLED X models don't support DTS.

Any deals on the BX? I splashed out on a C9 last year and I think if you are coming from an old TV the BX will be enough to blow you away.

Yeah that’s only for using the built in apps etc. But I use a firestick for everything so won’t bother me too much.
    Edit: Firestick doesn’t support DTS so looks like I’ll have to pick up a Nvidea shield.

In relation to above post I was given option of free delivery. I think even says it on the website it’s free. Guy in store told me 5 working days was delivery time.
    I’m collecting mine on Wednesday regardless.

Afaik BX is still same price.

These will drop in price again in 10months nevermind 15months. I bought an ex display 55'C9 about 8months back which is the previous model to the CX for €930 from DID electric with 5 year warranty

You will catch a bargain although not sure how much cheaper than 1250. You might save another 100 or so if you want something that’s not a display model. Personally I wouldn’t go for a display model as you wouldn’t know how long it’s been left on in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭StonedRaider

You will catch a bargain although not sure how much cheaper than 1250. You might save another 100 or so if you want something that’s not a display model. Personally I wouldn’t go for a display model as you wouldn’t know how long it’s been left on in the shop.

Not denying that what you've posted is at a good price. But for someone who will only need one in 15 months, it's crazy to buy now. I can guarantee you'll get one at a great price during black Friday/Stephens day sales.

Re ex display, as long as there's a good warranty, I couldn't care less. Not a scratch on it. Working perfectly the past 8 months. Purchased an Acer 32' ex display monitor previously from them with 3 year warranty. 5 months before it ran out, a pink line appeared on screen. Given a brand new one no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is it worth getting one of these TVs if you won't be accessing the internet on it i.e Netflix, YouTube, web browser etc.

• Advertisement

Not denying that what you've posted is at a good price. But for someone who will only need one in 15 months, it's crazy to buy now. I can guarantee you'll get one at a great price during black Friday/Stephens day sales.

Re ex display, as long as there's a good warranty, I couldn't care less. Not a scratch on it. Working perfectly the past 8 months. Purchased an Acer 32' ex display monitor previously from them with 3 year warranty. 5 months before it ran out, a pink line appeared on screen. Given a brand new one no questions asked.

Yeah I agree. You’d be better off waiting if you’ve 15 months. Technology moves so fast these days.

Good going on the ACER. My number 1 worry with OLED was burn in. And I did hear that warranty doesn’t cover burn in but I’m not sure about that, it’s just what I heard from a friend who also bought a CX.

I know they’ve the software to counter act the Burn in issues but I suppose we’ll see in time if it works.
    There’s plenty of great TV’s out there for far cheaper but I had been using a 43 inch 7 year old LG which blew up a few weeks ago which wasn’t even 4k and hadn’t bought anything better as I was saving for a new house.

I’m now using a 32inch LG which will be moved to the bedroom as it’s brand new.
    With all the research I done everything led me back to the CX. So I went for it as it’s also my birthday soon. Looking forward to it now. Should be a huge difference to my eyes.

billyhead wrote: »
    Is it worth getting one of these TVs if you won't be accessing the internet on it i.e Netflix, YouTube, web browser etc.

It really depends.

Do you game?
    Amazing picture quality all around but if you’re not a technology enthusiast I wouldn’t bother. Each to their own I suppose.

You’d get something seriously good in the 600-700 bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

It really depends.

Do you game?
    Amazing picture quality all around but if you’re not a technology enthusiast I wouldn’t bother. Each to their own I suppose.

You’d get something seriously good in the 600-700 bracket.

No. Don't game. I was thinking of it for my OAP parents who are in no way tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭micks_address

No. Don't game. I was thinking of it for my OAP parents who are in no way tech savvy.

Honestly you’d be better looking at an lcd. Brighter and no worries with screen burn etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

When you don't game OLED is a no brainer, as the risk of burnin is close to zero. No LCD matches OLED in picture quality, and you can tell with naked eye how seriously good OLEDs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭micks_address

grogi wrote: »
    When you don't game OLED is a no brainer, as the risk of burnin is close to zero. No LCD matches OLED in picture quality, and you can tell with naked eye how seriously good OLEDs are.

For elderly folks and only speaking for my own parents they need brightness ramped up a bit on their tv. I find lcd better is this case. Have oled myself and wouldn’t have anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

For elderly folks and only speaking for my own parents they need brightness ramped up a bit on their tv. I find lcd better is this case. Have oled myself and wouldn’t have anything else

True, I missed the parents part. They would leave it on same channel for hours etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

iHungry wrote: »

Whats is dts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

kala85 wrote: »
    Whats is dts

It's an audio format. In competition to Dolby. Mostly utilised on physical disks. Very seldom used in streaming platforms. If no additional sound equipment in use, its not even a consideration tbh.
    grogi wrote: »

Please stop with this, it's not close to zero. If the OPs parents are anything like mine, they'll watch news channels quite a lot. Repeated fixed bright banners (yellows and reds are the best!) for any short length of time is an absolute ringer of a use case for image retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

theteal wrote: »
    It's an audio format. In competition to Dolby. Mostly utilised on physical disks. Very seldom used in streaming platforms. If no additional sound equipment in use, its not even a consideration tbh.
    Thanks

Any good offers on 48 inch oleds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

theteal wrote: »
    Please stop with this, it's not close to zero. If the OPs parents are anything like mine, they'll watch news channels quite a lot. Repeated fixed bright banners (yellows and reds are the best!) for any short length of time is an absolute ringer of a use case for image retention.

It is close to zero. RTings that have been testing them for burn in long term by permanently leaving them on with something that has a constant on-screen ident and there's no issue for consumers. Their test is on previous models which I don't think have the same pixel shift, on screen ident brightness reduction etc screen protection.

OLED TVs have great picture quality, however, there are concerns about their long-term performance due to the possibility of permanent image retention, commonly referred to as burn-in.

Our previous 20 hours per day burn-in test is still running and the OLED TV already has permanent retention. That test is an extreme case, using patterns with a lot of static content.

Based on your feedback and comments, we have bought 6 LG OLED C7 which will play real, non-altered content. This should give you a better idea on what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.

Note: We will no longer be taking measurements every 2 weeks. We'll continue to monitor the TVs regularly, and we'll update this page, and our measurements, if anything changes.

PREVIOUS UPDATES (UPDATED 05/31/2019 - 9064 HOURS)
    Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.

Original statement from 11/05/2018: After more than 5000 hours, there has been no appreciable change to the brightness or color gamut of these TVs. Long periods of static content have resulted in some permanent burn-in (see the CNN TVs), however the other TVs with more varied content don't yet have noticeable uniformity issues on normal content. As a result, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV. Those who display the same static content over long periods of time should consider the risk of burn-in though (such as those who watch lots of news, use the TV as a PC monitor, or play the same game with a bright static HUD). Those who are concerned about the risk of burn-in should go with an LCD TV for the peace of mind.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

I have burn in on a 2 year old LG OLED from watching approximately one hour a day Sky Sports news and Sky news. It is normally a fuzzy area at the bottom of the screen with two blue lines but on certain colour backgrounds the words breaking news appear! I have been running pixel refresher 4-5 times a day to try to sort it but unsuccessfully!

Hurrache wrote: »
    It is close to zero. RTings that have been testing them for burn in long term by permanently leaving them on with something that has a constant on-screen ident and there's no issue for consumers. Their test is on previous models which I don't think have the same pixel shift, on screen ident brightness reduction etc screen protection.

You're using the Rtings test which shows image retention on the two CNN TVs inside 24 weeks as an example to refute my post advising to be aware of OLEDs predominantly used for watching news channels? :confused:

The Rtings test is not great because it's mainly focused on the hours of use, it's relegating the more important fact that image retention damage is cumulative (as is advised by LG in the text of the test) and repeated much shorter periods of display will have much the same effect. I'd love to see the results of the same test with the TVs only on for 15-30 mins at a time instead of 5 hours. That would be more representative of real-life use and correspond with the many of the examples found in places like here

Anyway, I'm not an OLED hater (although I do have issue with LG's consumer practices) and I don't want to start another one of those debates but it irks me when people dismiss a genuine issue especially given a potentially risky use case. Also yes, new models should be better but they've been trying to fix this "non-issue" since they launched so I'll not be holding my breath just yet.

93Cab wrote: »
    I have burn in on a 2 year old LG OLED from watching approximately one hour a day Sky Sports news and Sky news. It is normally a fuzzy area at the bottom of the screen with two blue lines but on certain colour backgrounds the words breaking news appear! I have been running pixel refresher 4-5 times a day to try to sort it but unsuccessfully!

It's your own fault apparently*

*it's not. What has the retailer said? May be better suited for the Consumer Issues section

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭EarWig

93Cab wrote: »
    I'm not doubting your story. Which TV?

I stopped worrying when I read...

You'll almost certainly see image retention long before it becomes permanent burn-in.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know-in-2021/

LG 55 B88 PLA ! Appeared after 6-7 months!

And you didn't see image retention before the actual burn-in?

Nope! Just noticed an area about 4 inches high taking up two thirds of the bottom of the screen!

Did I read somewhere that burn-in isn't covered by warranty because OLED does need careful treatment? In your case you deserve it.

• Advertisement

EarWig wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that burn-in isn't covered by warranty because OLED does need careful treatment? In your case you deserve it.

It's a good thing that warranties mean next to nothing with regards to Irish consumer law. A TV that breaks itself performing it's sole function within an unreasonably short time frame is nor fit for purpose not reasonably durable. Such a case would not take long in front of the small claims court.

Advertisement