Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate Battle of South America

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Zaph wrote: »
    Brazil - two more great flags, but can you ever envisage any other flag beside the names of Pele, Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and so many more? Truly iconic.

Falcao is from Colombia. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

And Socrates was a Greek philosopher.

Reberetta wrote: »
    And Socrates was a Greek philosopher.

Ah but what a footballer too. Died of food poisoning at 57. I was very sad when I heard it. The man was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Again, only one vote in it!

Brazil advances to the Semi Finals

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Falcao is from Colombia. :)

Nah, not him. The guy who had one of the most iconic goal celebrations from the 1982 World Cup.

How that team didn't win the tournament that year is one of life's greatest mysteries.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Nah, not him. The guy who had one of the most iconic goal celebrations from the 1982 World Cup.

How that team didn't win the tournament that year is one of life's greatest mysteries.

Apologies, don't remember him at all.

Quarter Final 3 is on the way...

Carabobo

State of Venezuela

thumb2-flag-of-carabobo-state-4k-silk-flag-venezuelan-state-carabobo-state.jpg

vs

Rivera

Department of Uruguay

thumb2-flag-of-rivera-department-4k-silk-flag-department-of-uruguay-silk-texture.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Carabobo no question. Lovely colours and a unique striking design. Rivera has done well, but it's just a decent football shirt.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Carabobo - I've loved Rivera all the way through, but Carabobo is just that little bit better. Better colours, better design and better overall visual impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Rivera - prefare it over the red. the blue is a lovely shade too. its fresh, silky and masculine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Nothing wrong with a daycent football jersey.

Rivera decent flag, easily identifiable, you'd know well where your lot were. The blue and white works well. Tidy flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Like both of these but Carabobo just pips it. the colour contrast is more striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Im not sold on Carabobo, I feel like it needs some white in there to break up the other colours. And the skinny green line seems pointless, if you're going to throw in some green, do it right. Otherwise just leave it out.

Rivera on the other hand is growing on me. Nice simple colours and an unusual layout for a geographical flag - but it works. The blue and white crest within the blue and white flag works too, even though it seems like it shouldn't.

So Rivera for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm not keen on either but

Carabobo

State of Venezuela

has better colours and symmetry / formation ( not sure if they are the correct words :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Carabobo - much prefer the design on this one, the other one is basically west brom(still a good flag though)

Carabobo
    The purple red represents the blood shed by the liberators during the battle of Carabobo; blue represents the access to the sea, which symbolizes Carabobo's universality. The sun stresses that the flag represents the light dominating the darkness; the Arch of Carabobo, commemorating the battle that strengthened the national independence, is part of the essence of Carabobo. The thin green stripe represents the agricultural and ecological potential of the State.

Rivera
    I can't find information of the stripes but they most likely symbolise the stripes on the national flag.
    The crest has a tree on the upper left part, the Cerro del Marco (Marco Hill) over a blue camp on the upper right part. The hill marks the border between Uruguay and Brazil. In the middle a red stripe with the name of the department: "RIVERA" in white letters. At the lower part the nine white and blue stripes of the Uruguayan National Flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Carabobo
    Nicer colours.
    The two towers with the rising sun in the backdrop work better than football stripes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Carabobo - I just like that it is different, offset design, interesting symbolism, without being too fussy or cartoonish. For me it might not make an overall winner as, other than the sun it is quite dark, but then that darkness draws your eye to the detail at the sun...

The runner up here is another good flag, been a nice variety of quality flags throughout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Carabobo, classy looking colours with an original design.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

The vote of the Grant Jury

Carabobo 4-0

We loved the warmth of the colours on the flag plus the added warmth of the sun. The colours are reflective of the national flag (without the green) but the symbolism in the colours give the state ownership also.
    We felt the symbolism of the bloodshed of the liberators combined with the Arch of Carabobo are great ways to celebrate the nationalism of the people. The arch is iconic and looks wonderful against the sun. We felt the green stripe adds interest.

We all liked Rivera but felt it couldn't compete with Carabobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I will vote for Carabobo too.
    I like the arch - it feels as if it is in the background, yet very distinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Got to say I'm loving the deliberations of the Grant jury. The family investment is delightful

The Arch of Carabobo: this would definitely be on my list of things to see if I would travel.

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Got to say I'm loving the deliberations of the Grant jury. The family investment is delightful

It's a nice way to spend the last 2 days before 2 of them have to head back to work/college.
    We are probably a big pack of nerds (no probably about it I hear you say) but it's an enjoyable activity for an afternoon instead of watching TV or whatnot. The kids are raging I didn't involve them sooner.

Neck and neck for a while but in the end a decisive win

Carabobo advances to the Semi Finals

The vote of the Grant Jury

Carabobo 4-0

We loved the warmth of the colours on the flag plus the added warmth of the sun. The colours are reflective of the national flag (without the green) but the symbolism in the colours give the state ownership also.
    We felt the symbolism of the bloodshed of the liberators combined with the Arch of Carabobo are great ways to celebrate the nationalism of the people. The arch is iconic and looks wonderful against the sun. We felt the green stripe adds interest.

We all liked Rivera but felt it couldn't compete with Carabobo.

Your family have great taste in flags

The kids are raging I didn't involve them sooner.

Get them back on board for the May Ultimate Battle!

Santa Cruz

Province of Argentina

thumb2-flag-of-santa-cruz-4k-silk-flag-province-of-argentina-silk-texture.jpg

vs

Tierra del Fuego

Province of Argentina

thumb2-flag-of-tierra-del-fuego-4k-silk-flag-province-of-argentina-silk-texture.jpg
    [

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz - two of my favourite ones, I actually don't mind which one advances but I'll go with Santa Cruz, the sun, mountains and sea come together really well

Advertisement