Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XC90 v X5 v Q7

• 05-04-2021 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

So looking to buy one of the larger SUV's, currently looking across these 3 models but open to alternatives. Requirements are 7 seat's, leather, cruise control. Like to have would be sun roof but I don't see many with one.

Fuel it looks like diesel is only option but I no more need diesel than man on moon. A PHEV would be perfect but I don't think feasible in my price range.

Currently looking at the 40-50k mark.

Would love some feedback from owners of any?
    How is fuel economy when doing majority of city driving and all short trips?
    Anyway to guard against clocking apart from buying from main dealers?
    Any alternatives I should be including?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

An X5 40E from around 2018 more than falls in your budget. I've not heard a lot but the little I have has been very positive.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-x5-xdrive-40e-msport/27659993

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I think the XC90 is the only PHEV there that has 7 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When it comes to the Volvo I'd be more concerned buying from the wrong dealer than it being clocked. We had to switch dealers now using one completely out of our way but the level of service is night and day.
    You'll pay through the nose from a main dealer if you can get a decent warranty and the jeep is in good condition don't restrict yourself to the main dealer route if there's a substantial saving to be had. Trade in prices are way off retail prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

digiman wrote: »
    I think the XC90 is the only PHEV there that has 7 seats

Yes but on a quick look at reviews I found said not to get the PHEV and buy the diesel :mad:
    Looks like diesel is really the only option

When it comes to the Volvo I'd be more concerned buying from the wrong dealer than it being clocked. We had to switch dealers now using one completely out of our way but the level of service is night and day.
    You'll pay through the nose from a main dealer if you can get a decent warranty and the jeep is in good condition don't restrict yourself to the main dealer route if there's a substantial saving to be had. Trade in prices are way off retail prices.

Plan is to keep the vehicle for a considerable duration. I don't mind investing to get it right and then drive for the next 10 years(well as long as I can buy diesel anyway)

• Advertisement

sebdavis wrote: »
    Plan is to keep the vehicle for a considerable duration. I don't mind investing to get it right and then drive for the next 10 years(well as long as I can buy diesel anyway)

We pack the Volvo to the rafters, it's a d5 I'd prefer the bmw engine 3.0L but the Volvo was more practical better built and I think looks a lot better, we had a disaster of a time with recurrent breakdowns but that was down to a bad main dealer not fixing the same problem properly consistently, more interested in milking us.
    From 162 on I think they had apple car play and android auto as standard, watch out for one with it as the integrated maps are useless and the internet connection fiddly, it doesn't auto connect when you get it, need to turn on the hotspot on the phone every time.
    There's also a family pack in some with an integrated booster seat another thing to watch out for.
    Friend has the phev, wouldn't bother with one stick with the diesel for practicality unless it's going to be stuck in city traffic most of it's life.

We pack the Volvo to the rafters, it's a d5 I'd prefer the bmw engine 3.0L but the Volvo was more practical better built and I think looks a lot better, we had a disaster of a time with recurrent breakdowns but that was down to a bad main dealer not fixing the same problem properly consistently, more interested in milking us.
    From 162 on I think they had apple car play and android auto as standard, watch out for one with it as the integrated maps are useless and the internet connection fiddly, it doesn't auto connect when you get it, need to turn on the hotspot on the phone every time.
    There's also a family pack in some with an integrated booster seat another thing to watch out for.
    Friend has the phev, wouldn't bother with one stick with the diesel for practicality unless it's going to be stuck in city traffic most of it's life.

Have apple car play in other car and never use it, too lazy to plug it in. Most journeys with family is listening to littlebabybum :P

Integrated boosters is something my wife would love. Wasn't aware they had them so certainly something to look for, thanks

What sort of ltr/100km you doing?

I don't even look at the mpg, I know it's thirsty on trips to the shop but it's fine on long spins, not much point looking at the trip average now it's only been doing short trips since the summer. It's the Mrs car.
    I think it's still only got one integrated booster unless it changed since ours a 161, I know some of the volvos have two, one at each side. Xc90 has one in the middle.

I don't even look at the mpg, I know it's thirsty on trips to the shop but it's fine on long spins, not much point looking at the trip average now it's only been doing short trips since the summer. It's the Mrs car.
    I think it's still only got one integrated booster unless it changed since ours a 161, I know some of the volvos have two, one at each side. Xc90 has one in the middle.

Thank you and sorry one more question if you don't mind, I have 4 kids so was planning on dropping the middle seat in second row to give access in/out? would that work or better putting 3 and 1 in boot? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I can recommend the diesel X5. My 40d is a great all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

So looking to buy one of the larger SUV's, currently looking across these 3 models but open to alternatives. Requirements are 7 seat's, leather, cruise control. Like to have would be sun roof but I don't see many with one.

Fuel it looks like diesel is only option but I no more need diesel than man on moon. A PHEV would be perfect but I don't think feasible in my price range.

Currently looking at the 40-50k mark.

Would love some feedback from owners of any?
    How is fuel economy when doing majority of city driving and all short trips?
    Anyway to guard against clocking apart from buying from main dealers?
    Any alternatives I should be including?

Thanks

If you can find any of those that dont have cruise control, it will be a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Thank you and sorry one more question if you don't mind, I have 4 kids so was planning on dropping the middle seat in second row to give access in/out? would that work or better putting 3 and 1 in boot? Thanks

Either works. I’ve only got 2 and typically ends up one in the back and one in middle row...with 1 of the seats down...spoilt. When have friends in car they typically do the 2/2 set up you describe.

We’re on our 2ns XC90. D5 is a damn good engine, fair bit of poke and not a guzzler. Mine has alll bells and whistles and love the adaptive cruise control (Volvo call it pilot control I think). Give the kids a few years and they will be hogging the info system and having Spotify on the go all the time via Apple play. Also the app for locking/unlocking especially (got caught in parking lots with no key couple times). Audi and bmw are beauty’s as well (have been in all 3 a few times) but the sheer space/“openness” of the Volvo is impossible to beat.

higster wrote: »
    Either works. I’ve only got 2 and typically ends up one in the back and one in middle row...with 1 of the seats down...spoilt. When have friends in car they typically do the 2/2 set up you describe.

We’re on our 2ns XC90. D5 is a damn good engine, fair bit of poke and not a guzzler. Mine has alll bells and whistles and love the adaptive cruise control (Volvo call it pilot control I think). Give the kids a few years and they will be hogging the info system and having Spotify on the go all the time via Apple play. Also the app for locking/unlocking especially (got caught in parking lots with no key couple times). Audi and bmw are beauty’s as well (have been in all 3 a few times) but the sheer space/“openness” of the Volvo is impossible to beat.

Thanks

Which is the best website to use to find cars? normally I use carzone but options seem limited. Has the World moved on to another car website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Thanks

Which is the best website to use to find cars? normally I use carzone but options seem limited. Has the World moved on to another car website?

Donedeal by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

Was n a similar situation recently. I did a little research here is a few of my thoughts
    The xc90, will depreciate faster than the x5 and did not think the build quality was as good ( a few rattles from the xc90 that I was surprised at)
    The x5, I'd do my homework. The 2 L engines imo, are nowhere as good as the 3 L, 6 cylinder. The 40E will be looks great on paper,plenty reviews say stay well clear.when d battery is flat on a motorway, the engine will be roaring at you and drinking fuel
    I bought a msport , 7 sest, 30d in the end. Absolutely fantastic machine.
    The audi. Didn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

Can i do a slight highjack on this thread??

Am looking at a slightly lower budget of €30-35k, don't need the seven seats but am looking at the X5 vs the F-Pace?

Reality is a 161 X5 vs a 171/181 F-Pace - any advice on the advantage of the newer Jag over the older Beemer?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Joey99

I absolutely love my XC90 T8 from 2016. I brought it in from the UK last year but post Brexit that is not really an option any more. There should be multiple XC90s in your price range from about 2016-2018. I use mine 80%+ on electric power only and it's a really luxurious and enjoyable motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Joey99 wrote: »
    I absolutely love my XC90 T8 from 2016. I brought it in from the UK last year but post Brexit that is not really an option any more. There should be multiple XC90s in your price range from about 2016-2018. I use mine 80%+ on electric power only and it's a really luxurious and enjoyable motor.

What range are you getting, because I could barely get more than 22kms from it. It’s thirsty besides. Loved it though.

What range are you getting, because I could barely get more than 22kms from it. It’s thirsty besides. Loved it though.

Just out of interest what do you mean by thirsty? would it be 9ltr/100km or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just out of interest what do you mean by thirsty? would it be 9ltr/100km or less?

It was a pig. Around that and sometimes worse. FYI, I drove it for less than three months and that was two/three years ago. Briefly considered picking one (second hand) up lately, but opted for a new Sorento PHEV instead. I just don’t entirely thrust them entirely, as it had quite a few trips back to J&P for various issues within the year. Still, I do love Volvos.

• Advertisement

I am leaning towards "durty diesel" :-)
    Just looking at other options and Land Rover Discovery Sport seems in similar bracket, anyone experience? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I can recommend the diesel X5. My 40d is a great all rounder.

+1 on this, although mine is a 30D.

Super comfortable.

As for the PHEV, there is a reason why they are on average 10k cheaper than their diesel brothers.

I am leaning towards "durty diesel" :-)
    Just looking at other options and Land Rover Discovery Sport seems in similar bracket, anyone experience? thanks

Disco Sport was a replacement for the freelander so somewhat smaller than the others. Just on a personal note I think they are highly overpriced for what they are.

Just to throw you a curveball and I have found myself looking at this more and more. 50k brand new versus a 5 year old X5 or similar.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPMNJIGK8fI&t=27s

Disco Sport was a replacement for the freelander so somewhat smaller than the others. Just on a personal note I think they are highly overpriced for what they are.

Just to throw you a curveball and I have found myself looking at this more and more. 50k brand new versus a 5 year old X5 or similar.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPMNJIGK8fI&t=27s

On Kia none in stock when I checked the local garage and no idea when it would arrive back in....

On Kia none in stock when I checked the local garage and no idea when it would arrive back in....

WOW! Ok, I didn't think there was that much of a wait. Any interest in the Skoda Kodiaq? I am not trying to put you off the premium cars but I have just seen the quality of those cars in the last few rise a hell of a lot.

I have had the E53, E70 and now the F15 X5 and as much as I love them and I really have to have loved them to have bought 3 I am looking more and more towards the Santa Fe/Sorrento/Kodiaq range. Half the price and double the spec.

40-50k will put you in a 2016/2017 X5 so be prepared to change the rear suspension airbags, battery, and a few other age related things.

Having not had the experience of the other brands, after 5 years in my current X5 I still love it!

WOW! Ok, I didn't think there was that much of a wait. Any interest in the Skoda Kodiaq? I am not trying to put you off the premium cars but I have just seen the quality of those cars in the last few rise a hell of a lot.

I have had the E53, E70 and now the F15 X5 and as much as I love them and I really have to have loved them to have bought 3 I am looking more and more towards the Santa Fe/Sorrento/Kodiaq range. Half the price and double the spec.

40-50k will put you in a 2016/2017 X5 so be prepared to change the rear suspension airbags, battery, and a few other age related things.

Having not had the experience of the other brands, after 5 years in my current X5 I still love it!

Just to confirm, on the Kia it was only the hybrid I checked, diesel probably available but i wouldn't

No thanks on Skoda :P

+1 on this, although mine is a 30D.

Super comfortable.

As for the PHEV, there is a reason why they are on average 10k cheaper than their diesel brothers.

Hi - I've obviously missed the memo on PHEV vs Diesel Beemers! Is there a known issue with the X5 hybrids? Drove one today and I thought it was very smooth so wondering is there something I should know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Hi - I've obviously missed the memo on PHEV vs Diesel Beemers! Is there a known issue with the X5 hybrids? Drove one today and I thought it was very smooth so wondering is there something I should know?

The 10k reason is mainly tax.

The battery is piss poor and a 2 litre petrol engine pulling that weight is not great either.

You thought it was a smooth drive, what is your current drive and what else are you considering?

• Advertisement

The battery is piss poor and a 2 litre petrol engine pulling that weight is not great either.

You thought it was a smooth drive, what is your current drive and what else are you considering?

Current car is a 171 Tiguan with a 2.0l diesel (under powered and noisy) so I think I will always see a difference when moving to something like an X5 but I thought the X5 on battery was very good and when engine engaged felt better than the diesel 2.0 X5. Also considering a Jag F-Pace but preference at the moment is the BMW - different cars and driving experiences but I prefer the rear space in the beemer.

Advertisement