Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childfree TV shows/TV characters

• 07-04-2021 1:59pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be cool to have a thread to discuss shows where the main characters are childfree.

I love Seinfeld - all of the gang were childfree through it's whole run.

Notable mention goes to Cristina Yang from Grey's Anatomy, who was unapologetically childfree on the show.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh dear, I fear there's going to be a lot of negative characters here.

The first one I thought of was House, and then several more mean doctors on The Resident.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I actually never made the connection with Seinfeld!

I'm actually struggling to think of childfree characters that I like. I guess that SATC brought up some interesting themes around not having children. I was around 12/13 when that was out so had an impact.

This might sound ridiculous but I think the Simpsons had an impact on me, they are a happy family but it really showed in the early seasons the sacrifices that Marge and Homer make for their kids.

There is Mr. Dink in Doug who is a very nice man but he can also afford nice things!

Other than that, I really struggle to think of any!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The Wire had quite a lot of child free cops, lieutenant Daniels for example. Junior on the Sopranos too, also I think Furio had no kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Come to think of it doesn’t almost every show have child free characters? Why wouldn’t they, everyone is child free for at least some of their life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭skallywag

Come to think of it doesn’t almost every show have child free characters? Why wouldn’t they, everyone is child free for at least some of their life!

Writing kids into the story arc for all characters would be a major pain! Sometimes things are more practical than done on purpose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭skallywag

I love Seinfeld - all of the gang were childfree through it's whole run.

Well having kids was never going to really add to the storylines in a show like Seinfeld.
    sunny wrote: »
    Junior on the Sopranos too, also I think Furio had no kids

Plenty on the Sopranos, most noticeably Paulie I guess. Played very nicely into his arc, particularly the stuff with his aunt/mum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I suppose it depends - are we talking about characters who just don’t have children, or characters who are explicitly child free?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Faith wrote: »
    I suppose it depends - are we talking about characters who just don’t have children, or characters who are explicitly child free?

Jen Barkley in parks and recreation was the only character that sprang to mind for me :D

OJkZ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Penny in Big Bang Theory explicitly was... Right up until they made her pregnant and she changed her mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Demonique

nothing wrote: »
    Penny in Big Bang Theory explicitly was... Right up until they made her pregnant and she changed her mind

Didn't the other blonde woman, the one with glasses not want children either but she had them for some dumb reason? I think it might have been because Howard wanted them, sorry for a woman who doesn't want children having them because her husband wants them is a dumb reason, if I ever get married and my partner wants kids they can go **** themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Demonique wrote: »
    Didn't the other blonde woman, the one with glasses not want children either but she had them for some dumb reason? I think it might have been because Howard wanted them, sorry for a woman who doesn't want children having them because her husband wants them is a dumb reason, if I ever get married and my partner wants kids they can go **** themselves

I don't remember if Bernadette explicitly said she didn't want them, but she was definitely portrayed as less than maternal and she wasn't happy when she found out she was pregnant. Definitely an implication she had them for Howard's sake, which was annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Demonique wrote: »
    , if I ever get married and my partner wants kids they can go **** themselves

Would that not be something that gets resolved/discussed long before marriage?
    I agree with you, but from experience it came up quite early with my wife that I'd had a vasectomy and was 1 and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I agree with Christina Yang. she was absolutely clear she didn't want kids, told her husband this before marriage and then he got mad with her when she discovered he just thought she'd change her mind when she was older. So true to life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I never really watched the Big Bang Theory but I know that pivot really rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way. It’s such a shame they couldn’t just let her be childfree because it ultimately reinforces the notion that being childfree is a temporary status until we inevitably realise the error of our ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

I'm a big Law & Order SVU fan and I was so annoyed when Olivia adopted a baby. Suddenly it was all 'I understand what you're going through because I'M A MOTHER', 'I get it because I HAVE A SON' etc. etc. Like you can't have empathy unless you have children.

I remember watching Ally McBeal years and years ago (when I was probably too young to be watching it!) and Nelle Porter (Portia de Rossi's character) didn't want children. I only saw the first couple of seasons so don't know if the character changed afterwards but she was portrayed as someone who prioritised career over family and relationships.
    Nelle: Is that just a given to you? Every woman one day wants to get pregnant?

Richard and John: Yes!

Nelle: Well, here's a flash: not all of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mr. Feeny on Boy Meets World

He has always acted like he was childfree by choice rather than circumstance throughout the series and is a fantastic character, but watching an episode called "Wheels" (season 4, episode 14) on Disney Plus at the moment and there's a scene that starts about 14 minutes 50 seconds into the episode where he explicitly states it was a choice and gives a reason why (he may have mentioned it before, he's definitely made statements about how he's glad he never had kids, but first time I properly copped him saying it).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The current storyline with Nancy in Eastenders is an interesting one. She's 27, never wanted children and has decided to be sterilised. Her mother who has always wanted kids is struggling to deal with it. Great insight into the family dynamics when someone makes the decision and family try to get you to change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 BrokenWingz

I don't remember if Bernadette explicitly said she didn't want them, but she was definitely portrayed as less than maternal and she wasn't happy when she found out she was pregnant. Definitely an implication she had them for Howard's sake, which was annoying

Bernadette was really clear that she didn’t like children and didn’t want them.

Howard: But don't you think it will be different when the child is ours?
    Bernadette: Right, when it's our kid that has ruined my body, and kept me up all night, and I've got no career and no future, and nothing to be happy about for the next twenty years. Sure, that'll be completely different.

Advertisement