Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not starting a job after signing contract

• 07-04-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,
    A few weeks ago I signed a contract to start a new job. I am due to start there in one month. The notice period in the contract says 2 months notice for employee and employer (it doesn't specify a probation period).

The past few weeks my mental health has been really bad, and I have had the feeling that starting a new position is too much for me at this time. I know it is not professional to go back on a contract, and I would never do this in normal circumstances, but what will happen if I tell the employer I don't want to take the job after all? I am due to start in a month, and the contract says 2 months notice. Will they make me work for a month? Could they come after me for breaking the contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

I didn't start a sales job once after signing the contract - Nothing came of it, they found someone else immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

Hi OP,

Hope your mental health gets better that's the important thing. You can just tell them you have reconsidered and you're not able to accept the position right now and wish them the best of luck finding someone else. They can't come after you for contract violation etc. Don't worry about it. They'll probably just never consider you for a position again. You could tell them why you're rejecting the role and ask them to postpone if you feel you can be better in 2-3 months but don't worry about it

Advertisement