Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New NOx VRT levy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I was browsing carzone and a dealer priced up a 740d at €22k import has the screenshot to prove it but when I price the same car it's €10k.

I personally have no experience of it atm but can't see it getting much worse as VRT was already pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Looks like buying from the north has gotten much more expensive with the increase in VRT be careful if you are as unless the car has been first registered in the North you'll be liable for VAT & customs duty
    A lot of dealers source cars from the UK and ship them across so be careful and look for proof

Looks like buying from the north has gotten much more expensive with the increase in VRT be careful if you are as unless the car has been first registered in the North you'll be liable for VAT & customs duty
    A lot of dealers source cars from the UK and ship them across so be careful and look for proof

I'd say we will hear a few horror stories in the coming weeks.

If someone makes that mistake with a 20K car they could be hit with 6K in addition to VRT when all is added up.

I'd say we will hear a few horror stories in the coming weeks.

If someone makes that mistake with a 20K car they could be hit with 6K in addition to VRT when all is added up.

I'm just waiting for some poor soul to go through the process and let me know :) there's still money to be saved but make sure the car your buying is " Born in the North" so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres not much value in the North and prices there will likely increase now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Dr Dave wrote: »
    I brought in a car just before Christmas and the VRT calculator gave a price of over €550 more based on changes to VRT and NOx after Christmas.
    That doesn't include Import tax and Vat if they are payable, which is a great topic of debate at the moment.
    It will certainly be interesting to see how things go now, just glad I'm not that sucker :)

You won't pay Duty/VAT as long as you can prove car was in the state prior to Dec 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I'm just waiting for some poor soul to go through the process and let me know :) there's still money to be saved but make sure the car your buying is " Born in the North" so to speak

It’s more than where was the car registered first. It comes down to we’re the car was built according to revenue now, ie Germany or England.

It’s more than where was the car registered first. It comes down to we’re the car was built according to revenue now, ie Germany or England.

What in reading is I can import once it's been first registered in the North and not pay customs...

I have found a car that I want but Can't seem to get my head around the new Regulations can someone body translate please

" Vehicles first registered in Northern Ireland after 1 January 2021
    You can register a vehicle first registered in Northern Ireland after 1 January 2021 without any check on its customs status. If it is a new vehicle for VAT purposes, then the VAT is collected at registration."

And then there's this

" Vehicles first registered in Great Britain and subsequently registered in Northern Ireland after 1 January 2021
    Proof that vehicles were properly imported into Northern Ireland will be required for vehicles first registered in Great Britain and subsequently, after 1 January 2021, either:

registered to a private individual or a business in Northern Ireland
    or
    sold by a motor dealer with an address in Northern Ireland.
    Proof will be in the form of:

a copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland
    or
    a T2L document issued by HMRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What in reading is I can import once it's been first registered in the North and not pay customs...

I have found a car that I want but Can't seem to get my head around the new Regulations can someone body translate please

" Vehicles first registered in Northern Ireland after 1 January 2021
    You can register a vehicle first registered in Northern Ireland after 1 January 2021 without any check on its customs status. If it is a new vehicle for VAT purposes, then the VAT is collected at registration."

I read the above as applying to NEW vehicles. That is, registered for the first time (from new), in N.I.
    And then there's this

" Vehicles first registered in Great Britain and subsequently registered in Northern Ireland after 1 January 2021
    Proof that vehicles were properly imported into Northern Ireland will be required for vehicles first registered in Great Britain and subsequently, after 1 January 2021, either:

registered to a private individual or a business in Northern Ireland
    or
    sold by a motor dealer with an address in Northern Ireland.
    Proof will be in the form of:

a copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland
    or
    a T2L document issued by HMRC.

This bit is all about used cars from GB into N.I.
    Garages can't just import cars into N.I. for sale into RoI without (you) attracting Irish Customs & VAT. The phrase 'ultimately destined for' is what you should bear in mind. Cars bought in GB by N.I. traders for ultimate sale into RoI will attract Customs VAT, VRT & NoX taxes.

Cars will have to be imported into N.I., registered to owners in N.I. as legitimate N.I. owners cars. If they are subsequently sold (say privately) to RoI owners, they too will avoid Customs & VAT.

VRT & NoX taxes still apply to everything.

That's how I read it anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Holy S#!t,
    Looking to buy an old early 2000 Discovery 2 f(NI Reg) for about 5k and the vrt is hundreds but the NOx is 5500 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

its a beaut, but thats practically doubling the cost and its very unlikely to ever recoup! Wowsers
    Suppose this is the same for an old landcruiser from Japan... what to do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

Can you not register it as a commercial and pay no nox charge

User1998 wrote: »
    Can you not register it as a commercial and pay no nox charge

In understanding is I need to import then convert the register as commercial. Crazy stuff, still tempted tho. It's a nice td5

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

deegs wrote: »
    In understanding is I need to import then convert the register as commercial. Crazy stuff, still tempted tho. It's a nice td5

Could you try to find a petrol one... you’d surely never spent 5500 on petrol.

L-M wrote: »
    Could you try to find a petrol one... you’d surely never spent 5500 on petrol.
    You sent me down a rabbit hole which ended with me buying a v8 discovery 3 last night with 30000 miles :)
    Vrt is about 1300 😠thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

No matter what I do I can't get the right figure for a 2009 BMW 335i wagon on the revenue site, it only gives option for saloons and manual.

Looking to get it from Japan.
    2009 e91 335i
    95km
    Auto (obviously)

Can anyone give me a rough estimate on what I'd be handing over to revenue when landed?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭janedoe007

quick question - if I go to my vrt appointment and the amount is crazy, can I change my mind and take car back north & sell it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

janedoe007 wrote: »
    quick question - if I go to my vrt appointment and the amount is crazy, can I change my mind and take car back north & sell it ?

No reason why you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

No matter what I do I can't get the right figure for a 2009 BMW 335i wagon on the revenue site, it only gives option for saloons and manual.

Looking to get it from Japan.
    2009 e91 335i
    95km
    Auto (obviously)

Can anyone give me a rough estimate on what I'd be handing over to revenue when landed?

Check the CO2 emissions on it and then use the correct VRT rate against your invoice price for a rough idea, and then add 1000 to be safe.

If it's not currently on the VRT system, it goes for review and they come back with a price in a few weeks.

VRT rate and invoice price have nothing to do with each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bladerunnerx

Hoping someone can confirm if I am calculating this correctly. I used the online VRT calculator and it gave me these figures
    Registration Tax Total
    CO2 VRT Charges
    €3,810
    NOx VRT Charge
    €1,500
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €5,310

The car in question is
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-Mercedes-Benz-GLA-GLA-200d-Sport-Premium-Plus-5dr-Auto-281386620?make=16&model=128053237&search_type=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpdqDBhCSARIsAEUJ0hO670iSqYn_RoMKi3m_CW2pb0tdHkRnlI8LdgZMARn3krW7orMdgRgaAuveEALw_wcB&pagepc0=2

On their site it is quoting the NOx tax at 440 euro.

Am I missing something. The g/km amount I entered was .108.

Revenue NOx Estimate
    NOx Emissions
    NOx Units
    g/km or g/kWh
    NOx VRT Charge
    (payable on enquiry)
    €1,500

Thanks

Hoping someone can confirm if I am calculating this correctly. I used the online VRT calculator and it gave me these figures
    Registration Tax Total
    CO2 VRT Charges
    €3,810
    NOx VRT Charge
    €1,500
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €5,310

The car in question is
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-Mercedes-Benz-GLA-GLA-200d-Sport-Premium-Plus-5dr-Auto-281386620?make=16&model=128053237&search_type=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpdqDBhCSARIsAEUJ0hO670iSqYn_RoMKi3m_CW2pb0tdHkRnlI8LdgZMARn3krW7orMdgRgaAuveEALw_wcB&pagepc0=2

On their site it is quoting the NOx tax at 440 euro.

Am I missing something. The g/km amount I entered was .108.

Revenue NOx Estimate
    NOx Emissions
    NOx Units
    g/km or g/kWh
    NOx VRT Charge
    (payable on enquiry)
    €1,500

Thanks

The 108 figure is the Co2 Emissions not the NOX figure.
    NOX on that is something around the 0.60 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Got my deposit down on a 2018 auris hybrid, 11k gbp vrt 2100 euro. I don't think I done too bad 2018 auris 16k miles for just over 14,500 euro. I can't find one down here with that mileage not to mind price. They are averaging between 18 to 19,500 with higher mileage.
    How does manufacturers warranty work down here if cars bought in North. Dealer told me I need bring it back up but I mailed Toyota customer care and he said warranty is valid in South but its a 3 year not a 5 year like they have in North?

Thanks BTW read through the thread great top and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bladerunnerx

Thanks MGN. I entered the amount you suggested 0.60 and it gave similar amount to advertised. Where do you get the NOx on cars as most sites just give CO2

Thanks MGN. I entered the amount you suggested 0.60 and it gave similar amount to advertised. Where do you get the NOx on cars as most sites just give CO2

https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

As a result of NOx, its seems that importing diesel cars is all but dead if not for the top spec 525d ish BMWs. Petrol will have some value and will look to last for a while. I recently seen a very nice mitsubishi lancer 2.0l d (same engine used in golf/audi) for a reasonable price and milage. 3000 for a full service history and top spec. But alas 4000 in VRT+NOx making importation unreasonable. While a f**King mazda rx8, which pollutes C02 to high he an is €925 Vrt+Nox. The cars are worth the same initially around 3000 but NOx makes the mitsubishi along with pretty much all diesels really a stupid choice to import. Will there every be a change in VRT with imports or new cars here that remains to be seen but surely examples like this need to be looked at not all diesel cars are that bad and if a high power petrol car is cheaper to import it should be cheaper to tax and vice versa for dielsel. (Budget 2021 might be the final nail in the coffin)

Nox is old news now and 2015+ diesels all have very low Nox

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Yep, anything with a Euro 6 diesel engine is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

From looking through the posts here it seems you can only bring in 2016+ if looking at Audi/BMW 2.0L diesels for example? From what I've checked there's not much savings to be had unless I'm seriously over calculating the VRT/Nox?

• Advertisement

From looking through the posts here it seems you can only bring in 2016+ if looking at Audi/BMW 2.0L diesels for example? From what I've checked there's not much savings to be had unless I'm seriously over calculating the VRT/Nox?

Plus VAT and customs charges.

Advertisement