Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I agree with Sammy. I don't know why teachers insist on getting into discussions with random strangers on the Internet, which basically amount to apologising for their very existence. The nuances of these discussions rarely stray beyond "Yeah but June, July and August!" over and over again. Why bother arguing with people who have no intention of being convinced and are mostly here to sling mud?

I do my job to the best of my ability. My students and their parents recognise and appreciate this. I don't feel the need to justify myself to boardsies.

My advice is simple: let the Internet abuse flow past you and enjoy your job as best you can. I love teaching. It doesn't do anyone any good to spend your spare time explaining yourself.

Not trying to sound preachy, and apologies if I come across that way.

Your right tbf - I think I’m having one of those weeks - lockdown blues have hit hard. I need to disengage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

celt262 wrote: »
    If they do decide to vaccinate teachers i hope that they exclusively use the Astrazeneca which should have them fully vaccinated a few weeks before they return to school for the new school year.

That will keep them happy and the rest of us can hopefully get the J&J, Pfizer etc.

You looking to knock off a few of us wasters with blood clots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Can you explain your thoughts behind this?

It will p*ss them off as over half the summer will be gone by the time they are full Vaccinated, while anyone who gets a Pfizer/J&J etc will be good to go in a lot quicker time scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Your right tbf - I think I’m having one of those weeks - lockdown blues have hit hard. I need to disengage.

I think everyone is fed up now! I had a personal issue in the last month and it has hit me hard so am finding it hard to dig myself out of this hole. Take care of yourself!

You looking to knock off a few of us wasters with blood clots?

No and teachers aren't wasters just should be waiting there turn like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It will p*ss them off as over half the summer will be gone by the time they are full Vaccinated, while anyone who gets a Pfizer/J&J etc will be good to go in a lot quicker time scale.

Congratulations. You win silly post of the day and it's not even noon.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

I don't get this. Have they voted to go on strike in September if they don't receive the vaccine by the end of THIS school year?

Even though they will have received the vaccine by September no matter what order they are administered?

Edit: They have voted, to have a vote as explained by Sammy2012 below.

Congratulations. You win silly post of the day and it's not even noon.

Thanks

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    I don't get this. Have they voted to go on strike in September if they don't receive the vaccine by the end of THIS school year?

Even though they will have received the vaccine by September no matter what order they are administered?

They haven't voted to strike. They have voted to ballot members on the issue. Very different.

I also think that the idea of everyone being vaccinated by September is now being very ambitious. Teachers aside. There seems to be problems emerging with the AZ vaccine and if they pull this it will have a huge impact on the rollout!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Roll on next Monday - the beginning of the rest of our lives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'd be mortified if I was a teacher paying union subs to get this nonsense. They have no public support for this. Shameful.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Roll on next Monday - the beginning of the rest of our lives!

Back on site since Feb - has kept me sane to be honest - love the banter and craic of working with kids. Though I’d be lying if I didn’t say love the Summer hols too :smile:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Unions (and anyone who votes for the ballet) are a disgrace. I work in a shop and have a hell of a lot of interactions with people and was due to get vaccinated before teachers going by last plan but 100% agree with the government decision to do it by age even it it means that I get vaccinated a month or so later. Only vocation after front line workers who should be getting vaccinated is the guards.

Back on site since Feb - has kept me sane to be honest - love the banter and craic of working with kids. Though I’d be lying if I didn’t say love the Summer hols too :smile:

Roll on June!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

Ah lads, you're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to spend the summer rubbing gravel in your hair while sitting in a hole you dug for yourself with your bare hands. No shovel permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

if teachers think they are more at risk they should provide scientific evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

cheezums wrote: »
    if teachers think they are more at risk they should provide scientific evidence.

Tomás Ryan is saying that NIAC aren't following the science. Luke O'Neil says teachers are 1.9 times morelikely to contract covid or 3 times more likely if working in a special school. A report from the UK says teachers have the highest incidence of long covid after health care workers. The WHO have called for frontline workers including teachers to be prioritised.

It isn't about science here, it's about speed of delivery and the government have calculated that it will be faster not to prioritise groups once they finish the last priority group of those living/working in crowded settings such as Travellers, Roma etc and to instead vaccinate everyone else by age.they feel this will get more of our population vaccinated faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If they do decide to vaccinate teachers i hope that they exclusively use the Astrazeneca which should have them fully vaccinated a few weeks before they return to school for the new school year.

That will keep them happy and the rest of us can hopefully get the J&J, Pfizer etc.

Absolute waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I think let them go ahead with their strike if that's what they want anyway, they won't be fully vaccinated before the end of this school year either way.

I really think that teachers that oppose what these unions are doing should collectively voice their opposition. You really need to distance yourself from this.

Perhaps throw a few quid each into a fund and pay for a full page advertisement in all the National newspapers stating that this is NOT IN YOUR NAME.

• Advertisement

Teachers, SNAs in several special schools receive jab according to RTE News.

HSE sanctioned in the Dublin / Wicklow area - does the right hand know what the left hand is doing ?

Interested in all those posters who are lambasting school staff for wanting to be vacc think of this

Teachers, SNAs in several special schools receive jab

HSE sanctioned in the Dublin / Wicklow area - does the right hand know what the left hand is doing ?

Interested in all those posters who are lambasting school staff for wanting to be vacc think of this.

Post that again. I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I think that the poster is referring to this news article:

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2021/0407/1208370-sna-vaccines/

Can’t post link - it’s on the RTE news app.

Special schools in the Dublin/ Wicklow area were called by the HSE for vacc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Just remember Sinn fein are supporting this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The special needs schools SNA’s should be vaccinated with healthcare workers in my opinion .
    The unions should concentrate on that sector and be aware that the risk is much higher there .

They were contacted to provide a list the day after the rollout order was changed. Was this by post? Was the letter written and posted before the new rollout broke?

I have absolutely no issue with special schools moving into the HCW sector due to the nature of the duties they carry out. I think you’d be hard pressed to find members of the public that wouldn’t support those workers being ahead of the age groups.

But the union hasn’t used common sense and demanded a change to the roll out just for them. They think the lives of ALL teachers are worth more than the lives of ALL 60 year olds who are not one of them.

It’s maddening, it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PVNevin

Schools, and all non-essential production/services, should be shut. Those that must work should be given all resources, and work organised, to fully protect those workers from the virus.
    Independent SAGE and many, many other professional science and public health personnel state that the virus can and must be crushed.
    The world's ruling elite are playing with fire in their approach of letting the virus rip ('living with the virus').

The possibility of more virulent and lethal mutations; and the unknown consequences of infection yet to appear down the line, demand that the world takes the most serious and thorough approach to destroying this virus.
    The government here should be organising for vaccine production, in unison with those around the world. Instead a false and deliberately divisive dichotomy has been manufactured between the haves and the have-nots of those who should be vaccinated first. The issue is the shortage of vaccines. That needs to be addressed urgently; but instead governments protect big pharma corporations and their profits.
    See:
    "Oxford’s COVID vaccine deal with AstraZeneca raises concerns about access and pricing"
    https://fortune.com/2020/08/24/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-deal-pricing-profit-concerns/
    "Governments must act fast on consensus supporting historic move to suspend monopolies during pandemic"
    https://www.msf.org/covid-19-governments-must-build-consensus-around-waiver

MSF's appeal fior patent suspension has not and will not be heeded.
    The unions are playing their usual game of dividing workers and keeping the political system safe for the rich boys and girls.

See this appeal by a Texas teacher:
    Texas teacher Michael Hull discusses the safety of the school environment
    https://youtu.be/X0ATRTTlIYc

They were contacted to provide a list the day after the rollout order was changed. Was this by post? Was the letter written and posted before the new rollout broke?

I have absolutely no issue with special schools moving into the HCW sector due to the nature of the duties they carry out. I think you’d be hard pressed to find members of the public that wouldn’t support those workers being ahead of the age groups.

But the union hasn’t used common sense and demanded a change to the roll out just for them. They think the lives of ALL teachers are worth more than the lives of ALL 60 year olds who are not one of them.

It’s maddening, it really is.

Phone calls apparently - I just find it interesting - HSE in that area contacted special school staff re vacc post vacc list change , also interesting that it was only 1 HSE area that did so.
    Unions represent their members - special ed does not have a separate union. Rightly or wrongly I can’t see any union prioritising one group of members over another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Phone calls apparently - I just find it interesting - HSE in that area contacted special school staff re vacc post vacc list change , also interesting that it was only 1 HSE area that did so.
    Unions represent their members - special ed does not have a separate union. Rightly or wrongly I can’t see any union prioritising one group of members over another.
    I think the unions shouls prioritise the SNA,s in special school . They would get far more support from the public if they did
    I cannot see the public supporting a 28 year old teacher getting a vaccine ahead of his / her parents .

Advertisement