Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scratches on car bonnet

• 02-04-2021 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi, just noticed I have alot of scratches on the bonnet of my car from what I suspect to be the hose of a car power wash dragging over it. Only noticed in the sunlight today and doesn’t look great. 😡 the car is a192 VW Golf. Just wondering are the products you can buy in Halfords worthwhile or is this going to be a €500 job to get fixed!? They aren’t deep scratches, but just very annoying.

Can anyone suggest a car detailing company in Dublin or a product that I might be able to use initially to see if it has any benefit?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A machine polish might get them out.
    Post a picture.

The products in Halfords can work if you have the tools to use them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭con747

I have used this method on very light scratches and got good results. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wegxAikI3Go

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Gumbo wrote: »
    A machine polish might get them out.
    Post a picture.

The products in Halfords can work if you have the tools to use them with.

Thanks for the reply. Looked at a few videos on YouTube and I think a machine Polish would definitely help, any idea how much a good job would cost for the bonnet just? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Cost depends on the following:

- What condition the paint is in
    - How deep the scratches are
    - How hard the paint is
    - How long it takes to remove them

There's some prep work involved too whereby the surface has to be washed, clayed and washed to remove contaminants before polishing can begin. After that it's a panel wipe (IPA) wipe down, inspection, (compound again if needed), IPA again, inspect, refining polish, IPA and selant.

Depending on how dusty the compound and polish are the car might get a wash.

You'd be looking at anywhere between €100 - €200 for a good job.

Cost depends on the following:

- What condition the paint is in
    - How deep the scratches are
    - How hard the paint is
    - How long it takes to remove them

There's some prep work involved too whereby the surface has to be washed, clayed and washed to remove contaminants before polishing can begin. After that it's a panel wipe (IPA) wipe down, inspection, (compound again if needed), IPA again, inspect, refining polish, IPA and selant.

Depending on how dusty the compound and polish are the car might get a wash.

You'd be looking at anywhere between €100 - €200 for a good job.

Thanks for above. I got in touch with a place in Sandyford, Car Cosmetix, and they quoted me 285 inc VAT as they will need to sand it and then buff it i think. Searched them on here and have got mixed reviews, so kind of unsure now. I have attached pictures, if anyone could recommend treatment or company in Dublin that would do a good job fixing.
    I dont think its a major job, but just want to get fixed. Appreciate the replies.

• Advertisement

I don't know why they said it would need sanding. Normally with these kind of jobs I would always use a polishing machine and see how it responds before even contemplating sanding. Why take off more lacquer with sanding when polishing will do the job and remove less? It doesn't look bad enough in those pics to warrant sanding IMO.

I don't know why they said it would need sanding. Normally with these kind of jobs I would always use a polishing machine and see how it responds before even contemplating sanding. Why take off more lacquer with sanding when polishing will do the job and remove less? It doesn't look bad enough in those pics to warrant sanding IMO.

Thats what i was thinking, but he took a quick look at it and just went with that. I literally havent a clue. Any places in Dublin you might know that would doing a good polish job to see how that helps first?

What part of Dublin are you in?

It sounds to me as though he's using the fact that you "haven't a clue" to charge you an arm and a leg.

South Dublin, but can travel if needed.

There's actually only 1 detailer in my list located in Dublin:

Pro Car Detailing (Gtechniq Accredited)
    GD House
    Whitestown Drive
    Tallaght
    Co. Dublin
    D24 FW5D
    T: 085 287 4449
    Prop: Wojciech Kowalczyk
    W: www.procardetailing.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭FionnK86

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Hi, just noticed I have alot of scratches on the bonnet of my car from what I suspect to be the hose of a car power wash dragging over it.

I don't have much to add to advice above JoeCole26 for corrective action.

For mitigating action, it doesn't look like a power washer hose.

There's no point in going to bother of the work if something causes another scratch tomorrow.

Are there gulls around where you are? I worked in quickPARK for a few months valeting cars and these types of scratches look very similar to ones from birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looks like my TV screen after the young one got some glass from a broken picture frame and etched her name into it.....

Could be tyre line or boxes left and dragged over the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Don't you know it's the latest craze :rolleyes::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I'm just going to weigh in on the sanding discussion, and give my 2 cents worth.

If sanding is performed correctly it is an absolutely fantastic way safely removing clear coat, while actually not removing that much clear. The key is that is is done correctly and paint thickness measured along the process. Sanding allows to remove clear with little to no heat generation, and can be much quicker than repeated heavy cut polishing stages.
    At the end of the day, if you are removing a scratch that is say 12-15 microns deep, you are much better carefully sanding down and then only having to polishing out 1-3 microns of sanding marks of lets says 3000 - 5000 grit paper, than multiple heavy cut steps which, depending on paint type, can induce a lot of heat, which is counter-productive.

The most important aspect, is that the person performing the treatment is very competent in performing it.

Thats exactly it, finding someone who is very competent at whatever process i go for is the key. Its really impossible to know. I've got in touch with Pro Car Detailing so going to visit him tomorrow and see what he has to say. Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tee2green

Thats exactly it, finding someone who is very competent at whatever process i go for is the key. Its really impossible to know. I've got in touch with Pro Car Detailing so going to visit him tomorrow and see what he has to say. Will keep you posted.

hi mate just wondering what you did in the end. I have a similar problem and looking for a solution

tee2green wrote: »
    hi mate just wondering what you did in the end. I have a similar problem and looking for a solution

I went to the Pro Car Detailing guy in Tallaght (details listed in thread) and he polished it for 80euro. It helped alright but scratches still noticeable in sunlight and when looking directly at the bonnet.

In fairness to Woijcech (Pro Car Detailing) he was really helpful and admitted it would be difficult to get it 100% but would see some improvement and that was the case. very genuine guy. Would still like to get a proper job on it but cautious about getting someone who might make it worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tee2green

I went to the Pro Car Detailing guy in Tallaght (details listed in thread) and he polished it for 80euro. It helped alright but scratches still noticeable in sunlight and when looking directly at the bonnet.

In fairness to Woijcech (Pro Car Detailing) he was really helpful and admitted it would be difficult to get it 100% but would see some improvement and that was the case. very genuine guy. Would still like to get a proper job on it but cautious about getting someone who might make it worse!!

Sound man I’ll check him out!

Advertisement