Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭einn32

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys, a lot of food for thought!

For the Weber one, I don't think it has a shelf inside? We're wondering if that's something worth having, so we can keep some food warm while other food is still cooking.

I also saw that homestore and more have a sale atm:
    https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/bbq-accessories
    They all seem to be the "master cook" brand. Any idea if those are any good?

Do BBQs generally come with a cover or is that something we'd need to buy separately?

I have a baby weber and it doesn't have a shelf. I just put cooked items to the side where it's cooler. After a while you get to know how to time it all so it all can be served together. You can turn off burners also. It can do everything but space is the issue. Pizza are not great off it but roasts are perfect with a meat thermometer. I've a Bluetooth one to my phone. I guess a bigger size for a family is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys, a lot of food for thought!

For the Weber one, I don't think it has a shelf inside? We're wondering if that's something worth having, so we can keep some food warm while other food is still cooking.

I also saw that homestore and more have a sale atm:
    https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/bbq-accessories
    They all seem to be the "master cook" brand. Any idea if those are any good?

Do BBQs generally come with a cover or is that something we'd need to buy separately?

I use the shelf on my bbq all the time. If you’re cooking, let’s say, 7-10 pork chops, you can put them on the shelf once they’re done, as probably they’ll all reach internal temperature at different times. That keeps them warm. My set up is a 4 burner with usually 3 of those burners on, and then the food that is done goes on the shelf on top of the off burner (the one to the side)

Spare ribs going into the grill soon

Progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Not convinced this is the right place but here goes.

I just hit a Weber Q2000 bbq. My bro in law tells me it needs Patio Gas (6kg bottle). I have an older bbq and I’ve always used it with a standard yellow Callie gas bottle. Will this do for the Weber does anyone know? Not sure it makes a difference but the Weber is technically a grill with no charcoals I’d just rather not have to get a second gas bottle when I have a nearly full one already. Can’t seem to find a Straight forward plain English answer anywhere online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

jarvis wrote: »
    Not convinced this is the right place but here goes.

I just hit a Weber Q2000 bbq. My bro in law tells me it needs Patio Gas (6kg bottle). I have an older bbq and I’ve always used it with a standard yellow Callie gas bottle. Will this do for the Weber does anyone know? Not sure it makes a difference but the Weber is technically a grill with no charcoals I’d just rather not have to get a second gas bottle when I have a nearly full one already. Can’t seem to find a Straight forward plain English answer anywhere online.

You can use any gas bottle, but the regulator which connects to the top of the butane/ yellow is different from the propane/patio bottle, the propane regulator is what comes with Weber bbqs

If you have a regulator from an old bbq just use that, or you can buy a new one

You can use any gas bottle, but the regulator which connects to the top of the butane/ yellow is different from the propane/patio bottle, the propane regulator is what comes with Weber bbqs

If you have a regulator from an old bbq just use that, or you can buy a new one

This is what I thought but he kept saying I need patio gas. So you’re sure I can switch the regulator from old bbq and I’m safe in terms of not melting the Weber? 😳

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've merged your thread into the existing Gas BBQ thread jarvis.

The reason you need patio gas for a barbecue is because it burns at a much higher heat, which makes a huge difference. You won't sear food nearly as well with butane gas.

I've merged your thread into the existing Gas BBQ thread jarvis.

The reason you need patio gas for a barbecue is because it burns at a much higher heat, which makes a huge difference. You won't sear food nearly as well with butane gas.

Thanks for that.

Does anyone know can I bring my old yellow Calor gas cylinder (still half full) and use that return to buy a 6kg propane cylinder without having to pay the cylinder deposit? If this is ok, Do shop workers know it’s ok or might I face possible rejection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Thanks for that.

Does anyone know can I bring my old yellow Calor gas cylinder (still half full) and use that return to buy a 6kg propane cylinder without having to pay the cylinder deposit? If this is ok, Do shop workers know it’s ok or might I face possible rejection?

Depends where you go... I have noticed a petrol station for example usually just swap them out but a hardware store or garden centre know more about them and have rejected them in the past when swapping butane for patio.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

Yeah but the FAQ on Calors website says they’re inter changeable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Yeah but the FAQ on Calors website says they’re inter changeable

Perfect, then you have answered your own question surely? Probably best to check the FAQ before asking a forum for their experiences!

My suggestion is to show this to the shop assistant if they won’t change them.

Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Thanks for that.

B&Q Liffey Valley let me do this a few weeks ago with 11kg cylinder.

Perfect, then you have answered your own question surely? Probably best to check the FAQ before asking a forum for their experiences!

My suggestion is to show this to the shop assistant if they won’t change them.

Good to know.

Yeah I had read the FAQ but like you said my question was more would I still face a problem. I’m being the FAQ just in case. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone seen lava rocks in North Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

kop-end wrote: »
    Woodies are back doing the Weber Q2000 (no thermosat) for €299
    I picked this up last year, love it, perfect for a family of 4

https://www.woodies.ie/weber-q-2000-grill-with-stand-gas-bbq-titanium-1101969

Have a look at the boxes if you are buying it in Woodies. They had the same deal last year but some of the boxes were actually Q2200s which do have the thermostat. I blagged one and was charged the same price of €299.

It’s a great gas bbq that I use as an extension of the kitchen for high temperature cooking of steaks and chops etc. I use mine at least 1-2 times a week throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just on the gas bottles thing, do most shops allow you return a flo gas bottle and take a calor bottle or vice versa?
    Think I’ve 2 old calor butane bottles and I’d like to get propane as I use propane on the bbq however the bottle I’m using is flo gas and the shop that’s around the corner does calor and I’d ideally like to just use what they stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I've returned 2 or 3 bottles recently and changed them for different types (butane for propane, calor for flogas).

They were done at a couple of different places - smaller local shops.

Only way to find out is to go to the shop and ask. Or as in my case - I didn't ask - I just said I had an empty and handed it to them. Until I read this thread it never even occurred to me that they wouldn't accept an empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last year, I had fierce trouble exchanging my yellow butane bottles for patio gas bottles.

I had two that I wanted to swap out.
    First place reluctantly swapped one and said to come back in a couple of weeks for the other. When I returned, they wouldn't swap. Tried several places without lock until a rural garage obliged.

So, to cut a long story short - try many places until one agrees.

I don'tr think there's any problem swapping between brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cool thanks, I’ll dig out the butane bottles and try get one changed this week as I suspect my propane is probably getting a bit low now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don'tr think there's any problem swapping between brands.

There's an official agreement between the two big brands (Calor and Flo/Ergas) plus some (probably all, tbh) tiny regional operators to swap over empties that go back to the wrong brand.

Predecessor of the CCPC investigated for being a cartel but judged that it was actually pro-competition as it let you swap brands at zero extra cost.

Local to me, a cheap Flo dealer appeared so all my tanks that were Calor were swapped to Flogas; now they're closed down so they're nearly all swapped back to Calor again!

So I used my Weber for the first time yesterday. I used a grilling mat and it was excellent. Will be using one all the time from now on!!! Was also very surprised at how easy and quick the Weber was compared to my old charcoal bbq.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

So I used my Weber for the first time yesterday. I used a grilling mat and it was excellent. Will be using one all the time from now on!!! Was also very surprised at how easy and quick the Weber was compared to my old charcoal bbq.

whats the purpose of the grilling mat? first ive heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

ctlsleh wrote: »
    whats the purpose of the grilling mat? first ive heard of them.

Basically a non stick mat. Great if you are sticking on smaller pieces such as prawns, veg etc., stops them falling through or sticking. Some hipsters use them to stop steaks from sticking or dirtying their bars....:D:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

RedCardKid wrote: »
    Basically a non stick mat. Great if you are sticking on smaller pieces such as prawns, veg etc., stops them falling through or sticking. Some hipsters use them to stop steaks from sticking or dirtying their bars....:D:D;);)

I don't see the point of a grilling mat if you want to get nice seared stripes on your food from the hot grill. I do use a grill basket for vegetables though.

Oil your food to prevent sticking and use a good wire brush to clean off any residue afterwards from the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I don't see the point of a grilling mat if you want to get nice seared stripes on your food from the hot grill. I do use a grill basket for vegetables though.

Oil your food to prevent sticking and use a good wire brush to clean off any residue afterwards from the bars.

I am with you, like I said I would use it for skewers with smaller delicate items on them. Once or twice a year max.

If the bars are hot enough, the meat etc. oiled you will never have a problem.

Got the Weber rotisserie for my generic grill. Will need to add a few holes to secure it in my grill, but looks very solid. I’ll report results later

MayoForSam wrote: »

My grill has a cast iron plate on the fourth burner (most right). I use it ALL THE TIME for vegetables and shellfish. It’s amazing. I don’t need grill marks on the food, that’s being posh :D

That grill Matt could be a good alternative. I didn’t like the basket for the vegetables myself, I have one and have only used it twice

Got the Weber rotisserie for my generic grill. Will need to add a few holes to secure it in my grill, but looks very solid. I’ll report results later

Here it is. Very good chicken. Took nearly 2 hours but it was awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Here it is. Very good chicken. Took nearly 2 hours but it was awesome

What did you rub it with, and did you just put those spuds underneath the chicken to cook in the drippings??

Advertisement