Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing a Council House

• 06-04-2021 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice please- my Mother lives in a council house (since the 1980's) - my brother is thinking of buying the house - bit of background, he doesn't live there now but following his relationship breaking down and the upcoming sale of his current house, he is thinking that he could buy the house, or rather give the money to our Mother to buy the house (and it would subsequently be left to him).
    Does anyone know if this can be done or of any implications of doing it. He is aware of the incremental charge but not sure if it would apply to an outright purchase.
    Thanks..

Comments

There is only one way to purchase a council house, and that is via the Tenant Incremental Purchase Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Evie77

There is only one way to purchase a council house, and that is via the Tenant Incremental Purchase Scheme.

Thank you - do you think an outright purchase is possible?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Evie77 wrote: »
    Thank you - do you think an outright purchase is possible?

Only your mother can buy it as it stands now. But I’m open to correction on this.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Only your mother can buy it as it stands now. But I’m open to correction on this.

Yes as she’s the only tenant on record that would be correct. But I’m wondering if my brother gives her the money will they let her buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Might be different rules for different local authorities.
    I wanted to give my mother money to buy her house off the council and they said she couldn’t buy it with cash, she needed to be working and afford to pay off a mortgage basically or had to get a mortgage off them to buy it.
    I know somebody else that also couldn’t buy one outright either.

• Advertisement

XsApollo wrote: »
    Might be different rules for different local authorities.
    I wanted to give my mother money to buy her house off the council and they said she couldn’t buy it with cash, she needed to be working and afford to pay off a mortgage basically or had to get a mortgage off them to buy it.
    I know somebody else that also couldn’t buy one outright either.

Thank you for your reply.. that is something we were worried about alright

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A lot of details here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Evie77 wrote: »
    Yes as she’s the only tenant on record that would be correct. But I’m wondering if my brother gives her the money will they let her buy it?

Yes possible. Once they don’t question where them money is coming from etc

Advertisement