Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rikand Walrus V2.0 Reveal Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rikand wrote: »
    Honestly I do try to hold back but anyone who read my first reveal knows that sometimes I just cant

Ohhh dear

catstale.gif

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In 13th place scoring 3 points

Nippon Egao Hyakkei - Momoiro Clover Z | Joshiraku ED submitted by
    Fixxxer

I do tend to like anime/asian kind of stuff and this guy knows it because one of his submissions was my favourite submission from the whole of my last walrus, but this was just ..... there was just way too much going on. And the video..... the same 20 second clip repeated over and over again it was just..... too much! Way way too much! I watched the video for the first listen but I only listened for the next 3 listens.... grating.... thats what it feels like.... grating nails on a chalkboard it was just way too much

Okay, so while I still have one person reading the thread you'll be glad to know that we are over the stuff that I really didnt like and onto the stuff that I only vaguely disliked :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I do tend to like anime

*high fives*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Well I showed up at the perfect time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Okay, so while I still have one person reading the thread you'll be glad to know that we are over the stuff that I really didnt like and onto the stuff that I only vaguely disliked :)
    Phew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hahaha, good thing that there were 3 songs that you didn't like.
    Wasn't sure how well this first selection of mine would go with you, so glad not to be at the bottom 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I feel Walrus is a commitment beyond my maturity, making yourself listen to stuff you hate in full and repeatedly for the sake of a fair contest... So go Rikand! ;) (My new phone is trying to autocorrect your username... There might have been an O and an L :pac:)

In 12th place, scoring 4 points

GIRLI - Friday Night Big Screen Submitted by
    ASLB

I have used this phrase to describe songs that didnt quite resonate with me before and i think it fits here. "Potato and Lampshade". I think it's a little bit too Nouvelle Cuisine for me. I didnt really like her singing. I didnt really like the style of the song or the music. I did like the pop culture references throughout the lyrics which are cool but I didnt really like anything else. And I do like female vocalists and I think some people could really love this but it just isnt for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 12th place, scoring 4 points

GIRLI - Friday Night Big Screen Submitted by
    ASLB

I have used this phrase to describe songs that didnt quite resonate with me before and i think it fits here. "Potato and Lampshade". I think it's a little bit too Nouvelle Cuisine for me. I didnt really like her singing. I didnt really like the style of the song or the music. I did like the pop culture references throughout the lyrics which are cool but I didnt really like anything else. And I do like female vocalists and I think some people could really love this but it just isnt for me.

Well that doesn't bode well for me... I can't see a couple of other songs I put in for this Walrus doing much better... Can see myself fighting for the Wooden Spoon... :pac:

• Advertisement

In 11th Place scoring 5 points

James Chance - Contort Yourself :: Submitted by
    Arghus

*Consults notes one more time to make sure he gets this right*

This was wierd.

Kinda like James Brown, Bobby Conn, Captain Beefhearts Magic Band and Luke Vibert had a love child that produced this song. At times I found joy. But at other times, I found myself wondering what the hell was I listening to. If you are currently experiencing a headache, I might suggest you wait until tomorrow morning to listen to this as it might be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

oh Rikand isn't impresssed at all yet......

not sure if my humour will go down well so...

and I might even be a bit more worried if you did like my own song :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arghus

*Consults notes one more time to make sure he gets this right*

This was wierd.

Kinda like James Brown, Bobby Conn, Captain Beefhearts Magic Band and Luke Vibert had a love child that produced this song. At times I found joy. But at other times, I found myself wondering what the hell was I listening to. If you are currently experiencing a headache, I might suggest you wait until tomorrow morning to listen to this as it might be a bit much.

It's the confusion it inspires that makes me love it. Also his blood curdling scream at 3:26. Mad shít. I love it.

In 10th place scoring 6 points

Brooke Fraser - Something in the water :: Submitted by
    Sawduck

I love the beat to this song. Real toe tapper, head bopper, but her voice grates on me to the point that I just couldnt enjoy it

Arghus

This was wierd.
    If you are currently experiencing a headache, I might suggest you wait until tomorrow morning to listen to this as it might be a bit much.

:D:D I think it's gas

Arghus wrote: »
    It's the confusion it inspires that makes me love it. Also his blood curdling scream at 3:26. Mad shít. I love it.
    That's the sort of song I'd really struggle to rank myself. I kind of love it, and kind of hate it simultaneously. I respect music that can exist in both those places at once though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Arghus wrote: »

Oh, I just checked his wiki page and read that he was part of the New York no wave scene of the late 70's and was also in a relationship with Lydia Lunch.
    I will investigate further :)

Note to self, keep better notes.

I left out a song so I need to do some ninja edits on those reveals..... Come back into the thread in 5 minutes and start from 12th place all over again :D

I was wondering why my placings were off, but I thought I just ****ed up.... it turns out i did **** up lol :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I left out a song so I need to do some ninja edits on those reveals..... Come back into the thread in 5 minutes and start from 12th place all over again :D

I was wondering why my placings were off, but I thought I just ****ed up.... it turns out i did **** up lol :D

Oh god, it's mine and you found something you hate more than Avicii didn't you :eek:

That's the sort of song I'd really struggle to rank myself. I kind of love it, and kind of hate it simultaneously. I respect music that can exist in both those places at once though :p

I feel like that with some songs too. I wouldn't listen to them on my own playlists but I think they are gas when I hear them.

like the time i think it was thepurpletin, who put a feckin weird Yugoslavian screaming song into ShaneU's valentines walrus :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've my fingers crossed this means I'm about to somehow scavenge an extra point for this round, but also not holding my breath, as I'm just as likely to somehow lose a point... :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I feel like that with some songs too. I wouldn't listen to them on my own playlists but I think they are gas when I hear them.

like the time i think it was thepurpletin, who put a feckin weird Yugoslavian screaming song into ShaneU's valentines walrus :D

Or someone submitting a Vladimir Putin speech into my Walrus :pac::pac:

If it's mine, you need to find it quickly because I need a song to cheer me up quickish :pac:

If it's mine, you need to find it quickly because I need a song to cheer me up quickish :pac:

I've my fingers crossed this means I'm about to somehow scavenge an extra point for this round, but also not holding my breath, as I'm just as likely to somehow lose a point... :D
    Looks like you did!

Necro wrote: »
    Or someone submitting a Vladimir Putin speech into my Walrus :pac::pac:

oh yeah forgot about that one too! I love people thinking outside the box :pac:

wouldn't like to have to listen and rate them myself though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

If it's my song that gets the ninja edit into 12th I will lose my shít :D

giphy.gif

oh yeah forgot about that one too! I love people thinking outside the box :pac:

wouldn't like to have to listen and rate them myself though
    You should, the upcoming list is getting a little sparse!

53d559901e993_-_tumblr_lqkaa0cc7z1r25534o1_500.gif?resize=480:*

Actually nevermind, I had two word documents open. One with my rankings from after likemy second listen and an updated one and I was picking from what I thought was the wrong word document but it was actually the right word document even though I thought it was wrong.....

so.....

uhhhh......

forget everything I said. Everything is as its meant to be!

Lets carry on! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Like that song Arghus, and pretty good description from rikand. Surprised I haven't head it before

Actually reminds me of The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion too

Advertisement