Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2021

• 05-04-2021 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭

The week is finally here. In fairness we only had to wait 6 months :).

Spieth is the form horse. Can DJ retain? Has DeChambeau learnt from November? How will Rory and Shane play despite patchy form?

All questions will be answered from Thursday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Just did my picks
    Jordan Speith
    Justin Thomas
    Sungjae im
    Won't see much Thursday or Friday due to work but overload Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭rooney30

Jon Rahm is my pick , steady, if unspectacular form coming in . Due a big one . Tends to do well around there

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

What are the options for watching it outside of Sky Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Any outsiders that can be in the shake-up on the final day..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

benji79 wrote: »

So it's still technically Sky, but maybe look at a now TV pass for Sports. It's €19.50 a month for 3 months, but you can cancel anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

So it's still technically Sky, but maybe look at a now TV pass for Sports. It's €19.50 a month for 3 months, but you can cancel anytime.

Great thanks. I had Sky sports up to a couple months ago but found the extra money wasn’t worth it, I was rarely using the channel. I don’t watch soccer or rugby so wasn’t getting much use overall.
    Now TV sounds like it good be a good option for me. I’d hate to miss it especially if any Irish going well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

rooney30 wrote: »
    Jon Rahm is my pick , steady, if unspectacular form coming in . Due a big one . Tends to do well around there

Ordinarily yes. However his mind will most definitely be elsewhere this week. Not the best prep for a major at all.

Then again, it might suit him, at least he's not waiting to get the call and rush off.

My pick is JT. Obviously Spieth is worth a shout too.
    Might have an outside bet on Scheffler or Im for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Rahm and JT my picks.

Really tough one to pick a winner.

Honestly always thought if Rahm wins a Major it would be a blow-away win. I have a good feeling here for him

Talk from the players is its playing firm already. If there is no rain it will be very tough. Long drives could run out more easily, landing spots will be smaller so even more importance on good iron play, putting will be more difficult the better lag putters and those better for the 4-5 ft returns will benefit, course management will be more important. Rules out a lot more players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Xander Scuhaffle & Tommy Fleetwood

also sneaky bet on Oosthuisen. McIlroy to miss the cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

Westwood has recent form too,

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/56652753

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Spieth to win with Berger, Kuchar, Connors for Top 10.
    All have decent recent form.
    I think Lowry might do well too if he gets a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think JT will win it.

Expect Sergio and Louis Oosthezen to go close.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

benji79 wrote: »

Do you have Eir broadband? Free on eir sports with the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I like Cammie smith and billy horschel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

SSports+ $22 per annum with premier soccer also. Look on the relevant thread on Bargain Alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 B lotto 79

Agree with you. Sergio is a definite dark horse. Unlike other majors, the Masters is a place where favourites do well.

Dustin won there only 6 months ago. Jordan Spieth has form. Bryson is not a form horse around Augusta. Rahm is a new daddy, he surely has other things on his mind but maybe the pressure will be off? Would love to see Lowry do well obviously. Have always liked Webb Simpson - he’s a great putter, definitely something you need around Augusta.

First time posting long time following!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,333 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JT and Spieth are the favourites in my book. Cam Smith a danger man, Max Homa and Brian Harman are live outsiders. Brooks always plays well at Augusta and claims his knee is fine.
    Two others I wouldn't rule out are Molinari and Bezuidenhout.
    Bryson statistically has a great chance but you pay a heavy price for wild drives at Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

eagle eye wrote: »
    Brian Harman are live outsiders

Harman has really caught my attention in the last few weeks in The Players and his win over Bubba in the match play. He seems a determined lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Can't see beyond any of the obvious lads at the top, and would love to see Spieth banish the demons of the 12th.

Outside of that, I think Corey Connors will go well, and Oosthuizen is always capable of challenging for a major.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

BBC TV, radio & online coverage times

All times BST and subject to change. The BBC is not responsible for any changes that may be made.
    Wednesday, 7 April

14:00-15:00 - The Masters - 2020 Review - BBC Two
    Thursday, 8 April

Round one live

21:00-22:00 - BBC Radio 5 Live

22:00-00:00 - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

12:00-00:00 - Live text commentary on BBC Sport website, with in-play clips
    Friday, 9 April

Round one highlights

00:30-02:00 - BBC Two

15:15-16:45 - BBC Two

Round two live

20:30-00:00 BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

12:00-00:00 - Live text commentary on BBC Sport website, with in-play clips
    Saturday, 10 April

Round two highlights

00:50-02:20 - BBC Two

10:30-12:00 - BBC Two

Round three live

20:00-00:00 - BBC Radio 5 Live

19:00-00:00 - Live text commentary on BBC Sport website, with in-play clips
    Sunday, 11 April

Round three highlights

00:05-01:35 - BBC Two

11:30-13:00 - BBC Two

Round four live

21:00-00:00 - BBC Radio 5 Live

19:00-00:00 - Live text commentary on BBC Sport website, with in-play clips
    Monday, 12 April

Round four highlights

00:00-02:00 - BBC Two

14:30-16:30 - BBC Two

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

You could give realistic chances to a whole bunch of them. It really is a course where people who play it well, play it well from year to year. Think Langer to make the cut at 6/4 is a good bet and wouldn't be sur[rised if Couples also made the cut.
    Spieth comes there in great from, Thomas also in good form. Johnson hasn't been as good as last year to this point. McIlroy if he doesn't start well over the opening holes I can see him struggle to make the cut, his confidence is pretty low. My two fancies would be Rahm and Spieth with Westwood and Fitzpatrick as good each way bets. Backed Wallace at 175/1 each way last week when he was playing well in the Valero but his putting let him down on Sunday, if he putts like that at Augusta he won't feature.
    Anyway can't wait, one of the highlights of the sporting year and it never disappoints.

Rory will be Rory, he will have two great rounds, one decent round and the round where he loses touch with the field and that's Rory the past decade.
    If either of the first three are Thursday/Friday then he will make the cut, if the last two are Thursday/Friday he can take a flight home Friday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Haven’t seen anyone mention Adam Scott 50/1 ? , I’ve gone with Koepka at 25/1 as great price if his knee is as good as he says . Scott ew and bigger ew bets on Griffin, Fritelli , and woodland all 125/1 and over ..Best of luck to everyone and looking forward to 4 days of great golf ..

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I think one of Spieth, Thomas, Simpson, DJ and Rahm will win, I can't believe Westwood is 28/1, don't think he'll make the cut

Hey guys, can we keep this thread betting comment free per the charter.

Feel free to discuss Betting on the dedicated Betting Thread.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

slave1 wrote: »
    Rory will be Rory, he will have two great rounds, one decent round and the round where he loses touch with the field and that's Rory the past decade.
    If either of the first three are Thursday/Friday then he will make the cut, if the last two are Thursday/Friday he can take a flight home Friday evening

The past half decade. He won 4 majors this decade, the most of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

blue note wrote: »
    The past half decade. He won 4 majors this decade, the most of anyone.

Irrelevant. Its his form now that matters.Hes become another padraig harrington. Droning on about what he's doing with his game and not doing with his game and still ending up imploding.ill be surprised if he makes the cut never mind win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I wonder which British golfer Sky (Paul McGinley) will build up and devote most shots to after one good round, before their inevitable collapse?

A resurgent Westwood, over-rated Fleetwood, annoying Casey, boring Rose or arrogant Poulter?

Ah here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I wonder which British golfer Sky (Paul McGinley) will build up and devote most shots to after one good round, before their inevitable collapse?

A resurgent Westwood, over-rated Fleetwood, annoying Casey, boring Rose or arrogant Poulter?

All of this is harsh on these lads !

Advertisement