Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is GAA the only elite sport?

• 04-04-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Serious question, my first time to ever post in the GAA forum, but I can't help noticing the constant reference in RTE to GAA as being the elite sport (re Covid restrictions), and my question to you guys as GAA supporters is ... would you consider GAA to be the only elite sport?

I got kicked out of After Hours for asking this, and it was suggested as a parting shot to ask here :o

Would Rugby (for example) also be an elite sport?

I gather I'm on precarious ground here even asking such a question, apologies if I'm offending.

Comments

The 6 nations was played, and the league of Ireland is continuing. So, no. For the purposes of covid restrictions or the lack of them, these are all elite sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Define 'elite sport'

Professional Sports are elite sports as they are all currently allowed. GAA is not “elite” at any level, otherwise it would be allowed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The reason GAA is not allowed during the lockdown at the top level is in theory they are amateurs so can not be in bubbles like the full timers in rugby, now it falls down a bit that I’m not sure LOI players are all full time pros anyway.
    In general calling something elite level is probably subjective anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

RTE for example just won't let it go, as GAA & Elite are always mentioned in the same breath when it comes to Covid restrictions, which is fine by me, but I'm just curious as to why Rugby (for example) doesn't also get the elite moniker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

RTE for example just won't let it go, as GAA & Elite are always mentioned in the same breath when it comes to Covid restrictions, which is fine, but I'm just curious as to why Rugby (for example) doesn't also get the elite moniker.

Perhaps ask RTE. Not really sure what answer you're expecting here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

RTE for example just won't let it go, as GAA & Elite are always mentioned in the same breath when it comes to Covid restrictions, which is fine by me, but I'm just curious as to why Rugby (for example) doesn't also get the elite moniker.

Are you suggesting they have said it’s the only elite sport? I think you’ve just taken it up wrong

salmocab wrote: »
    Are you suggesting they have said it’s the only elite sport? I think you’ve just taken it up wrong

Maybe I am taking it up wrong, but that's the impression I get anyway.

Thanks for all your replies so far and let's hope all restrictions can be permanently lifted ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My understanding is that for the COVID restrictions "elite level" sports could have the players isolate in bubbles but because GAA players are amateur they'd all be back to work the next day so it was too much of a risk.

And it wasn't about defining the sport as elite, it was about defining the level of the sport as elite level, for example junior rugby/soccer leagues were all postponed but the top/elite levels could continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Elite sports to me simply means the top tier of the sport so for rugby/soccer it would be the national team and for GAA the inter-county games

Of course that's where the lines get blurred because full time professional provincial rugby players are a safer bet than amateurs playing for their counties because they don't have to work in the community

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

4 professional rugby teams make up our elite and are still playing, all clubs are amateur and are not playing.

If you were to class intercounty gaa as elite, you'd have to consider 32 counties playing 2 sports (football and hurling) across 2 genders ( male and female) which gives you 128 teams spread all over the country, working in a variety of jobs.

Of these 128 teams, they'd have 30+ in each panel so in around 4000 people.

You couldn't class 128 teams in a country the size of Ireland as elite, nor could you tell a weaker county that they are not elite while others are, nor could you tell women footballers and camogie they are not elite while their male counterparts are.

Thanks again for all your replies, crystal clear picture now about the terminology. I probably should have opened this in the TV News thread, as it was RTE reporting that prompted my original question.

Funny thing is, when I 1st heard of elite sports I immediately thought of Archery, Polo, Cross country skiing & show jumping :)

Thanks & all the best .......

- Thread Closed -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

Its a farce that League of Ireland is considered an Elite sport. Its all part of the same delusional FAI notions that contributed to their financial demise. LOI cant even sustain itself as a professional sport not to mind be considered elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you have a day job you are not elite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

slegs wrote: »
    Its a farce that League of Ireland is considered an Elite sport. Its all part of the same delusional FAI notions that contributed to their financial demise. LOI cant even sustain itself as a professional sport not to mind be considered elite.

While I'm forever giving out about other sports knocking each other, I'm about to do it! I remember looking up the average LOI wage and found an article from 2015. I'm sure it's gone up since then, but the average PL player was earning €16k per year and the average D1 player €4k. To call these leagues professional is some stretch! But because being a professional side player is the peak of the sport, they make that stretch and call it a professional game here.

Meanwhile, I'd say if you looked at the GAA players earnings, between sponsorships and expenses I reckon a lot of players are earning livable wages from it. And I'd say it's the main source of income for quite a few. Yet, even if someone is earning a hundred grand a year from being a hurler or footballer, they'll still make sure to call themselves an amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

The answer to the pretty bizarre question in the title of the thread is quite obviously 'no'. 'GAA' is not even a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

GAA really want to have their cake and eat it.

Wants to be forever bang on about how its an amateur sport, and also wants the same priveleges as professional sports people.

For me, the GAA has gotten away with so much compared to other sports during COVID related restrictions.

The amount of guideline breaches associated with GAA have been ridiculous, and then you've other sports like gymnastics or basketball that were shut down for far more extended periods, that were extremely rigourous on covid safety measures when they were allowed re-open, far more so than GAA clubs, and have now been shut down again.

Really getting sick of the whingeing from the GAA community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    GAA really want to have their cake and eat it.

Wants to be forever bang on about how its an amateur sport, and also wants the same priveleges as professional sports people.

For me, the GAA has gotten away with so much compared to other sports during COVID related restrictions.

The amount of guideline breaches associated with GAA have been ridiculous, and then you've other sports like gymnastics or basketball that were shut down for far more extended periods, that were extremely rigourous on covid safety measures when they were allowed re-open, far more so than GAA clubs, and have now been shut down again.

Really getting sick of the whingeing from the GAA community.

Sounds to me like the difference between those sports and gaa sports is indoor vs outdoor.

A lot of gaa clubs have done a lot of good during these times. I know mine offered a service to do people's shopping if they couldn't do it themselves. But you also saw some really selfish stuff too. Clubs deciding that a celebration was worth it because it was their first championship in however long, could be the only one for these players, etc. Meanwhile people couldn't go to their in laws funerals.

Other sports aren't integrated into the communities in the same way as the gaa. And as a result didn't have the super spreader events to nearly the fame same level as gaa clubs. And unfortunately they've had a lasting effect on this pandemic. The reality people won't want to admit is that people have lost businesses, jobs and loved ones because of these events.

Advertisement